What to expect if we do not splash this year-gctid350732

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect if we do not splash this year-gctid350732

Due to one of life's curve ball, I may not be able to launch this year. I am not able to go into the reasons right now, but I am looking at a few options.

Now my questions of what to expect:

1) Do I uncover the boat or leave it covered? Possibly open each end of the tarp to allow air to flow through and open windows?

2) What about the well stabilized 120 gallons of gas I have in the full tank?

3) Outdrive seals, anything to worry about if not used for one season?

4) Batteries? Take them out and place on a maintainer charger?

I would replace the bellows (exhaust and universal joint) as a routine maintenance since they would be out in the sunlight, and have to reblock it so it did not sink into the asphalt when the temp gets hot.

Thanks for any tips. Like I said, it is only a possibility of not launching, I have until March 10th to decide if I have to give up the slip and go back on the waiting list.:sorrow:
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

tonyiiiafl wrote:
    Due to one of life's curve ball, I may not be able to launch this year. I am not able to go into the reasons right now, but I am looking at a few options.

Now my questions of what to expect:

1) Do I uncover the boat or leave it covered? Possibly open each end of the tarp to allow air to flow through and open windows?

2) What about the well stabilized 120 gallons of gas I have in the full tank?

3) Outdrive seals, anything to worry about if not used for one season?

4) Batteries? Take them out and place on a maintainer charger?

I would replace the bellows (exhaust and universal joint) as a routine maintenance since they would be out in the sunlight, and have to reblock it so it did not sink into the asphalt when the temp gets hot.

Thanks for any tips. Like I said, it is only a possibility of not launching, I have until March 10th to decide if I have to give up the slip and go back on the waiting list.:sorrow:
    Don't be overly concerned Tony. Pump out the gas and use it in your car.

I would open the tarp and let the air flow.

Seals will be OK.

Charge the batteries as you would if it was in the water. They won't know the difference.

Your bellows can stand the heat. Just cover them from the sun.

My Contessa sat several years inside and I did nothing special to it and it served me well for 10 years.
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
      Don't be overly concerned Tony. Pump out the gas and use it in your car.

I would open the tarp and let the air flow.

Seals will be OK.

Charge the batteries as you would if it was in the water. They won't know the difference.

Your bellows can stand the heat. Just cover them from the sun.

My Contessa sat several years inside and I did nothing special to it and it served me well for 10 years.
      Thanks Doug, that is good stuff to hear. At least it is up on blocks so I could siphon out the gas as low as possible. this possible event has me devastated, to say the least and am hoping it all can be worked out, but as of right now, not looking so good.I had thought of taking the tarp off and just leaving the frame I made up, and installing the bimini to shade the cockpit. However, I would hate to have to recover the tarp in the fall if I did not have to.
      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
      "HOLODECK"
      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

dmcb wrote:

Just one more thing to add to Doug's advice. [SIZE]2 wrote:
        S[/SIZE]mart ch[SIZE]2 wrote:
        a[/SIZE]rgers/maintainers are the [SIZE]2 wrote:
        b[/SIZE]est bet fo[SIZE]2 wrote:
        r[/SIZE] making sur[SIZE]2 wrote:
        e[/SIZE] your batteries don't cook. If you don't have one already, consider buying one. It's well worth the investment.

Sorry to hear about this year not working out. Hope things turn for the better.

Comment

"1) Do I uncover the boat or leave it covered? Possibly open each end of the tarp to allow air to flow through and open windows?

2) What about the well stabilized 120 gallons of gas I have in the full tank?"

In a past similar situation....

2. I 'sold' most of the fuel to a fellow boater stored next to me with a deal that was good for us both.

1. I had very good results using 4 large (like 2' X 3') white plastic eve vents from home depot normally used for houses. We taped 2 on each end with shrink tape and they added a very good cross ventilation without allowing too much water in.

Wish you luck with your issue and hope this helps
          Northport NY

Comment

Allow the boat to air out from time to time, this will also help with the seperation factor...trust me on this...ask me how I know.

I would keep the cover in-tact, no need to have to wrap her up again.

Fuel. I like the idea of selling it. The season we did not splash I was only 1/4th full and it had stabilizer in it. Filled up first thing after the prolonged lay-up and no issues.

I removed my batteries. Kept them charged at home and they were fine.

I put one of the buckets in the cabin to control moisture. I changed it out 3 times if memory serves.

Hope whatever happened passes and things improve quickly.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Tony, sorry to hear you may not splash this year. If you do decide to peel back the tarp you can always hook up a batt and crank the radio and have yourself a couple cold ones! something im definitly guilty of. However your season goes have a good one.

Comment

You will need to get under the tarp to get to the batteries if they are still in there.

I would move them to the basement/garage. But, your call.

Just loosen the tarp and cut up some swimming "Noodles" or Pipe insulation tubing.

Use a few pieces under the tarp at the rub rails to break the "seal".

Enough wind will get under it to reduce any humidity problems and help cool the "Oven" from baking in the sun.

Comment

Batteries are heavy. In over 50 years of boating in an area that has a long layup, I have never removed a battery from my boats or anything else for storage.

It simply is not necessary. A battery if in good condition and the cables disconnected will store without damage 7 or more months. Just charge it every 6 months and they will be fine. If not they were no good in the first place.

My stuff sits a minimum of 7 months both in Florida and Michigan. Other than lawn mower batteries, I can't recall a vehicle or boat unable to start in over 27 years of doing this. I have 2 bulldozers here in Florida. Neither have the big batteries but regular car batteries. They sat from last April until this past week here in Florida. Both started right up. That is 9 months. No charging during that time.

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Hey Tony,

I sure hope all is well with you and your family. Remember, that if you dont splash for whatever reason this year, you are always welcome up here to cruise with us. Just a phone call away! Best of luck Tony!

Comment

YMMV, But in the past I had 60 gals of treated ethanol, left for 1.75 years, ran just fine - no issues. My boat is stored in an unheated shop out of the rain. So I would have no issues leaving the fuel in place.

Comment

I'd be looking at putting a few capfulls of auto trans fluid in each cylinder, being you are in a moist climate with alot of temperature change.

My dad has several collector bikes and if they will sit for along time we fill the cylinders full of oil, disconnect starter and put a tag on the bike as a reminder "cylinders full of oil".

Probably overkill for one off season, but just throwing it out there.

Comment

unixdood wrote:
                          Hey Tony,

I sure hope all is well with you and your family. Remember, that if you dont splash for whatever reason this year, you are always welcome up here to cruise with us. Just a phone call away! Best of luck Tony!
                          Thank you. We are fine physically and Val is well. I will know more in a week or so and will share, just need to get everything together right now. I would take you up on that offer, so be prepared!
                          Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                          "HOLODECK"
                          www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Well, after a few weeks of gut wrenching agony, (and the loss of 23 pounds since December 16th when I first got word that this may happen) NEW BEGINNINGS! will splash this season. For the first time in my life, I was unemployed and it scared the crap out of me. I have had THREE (3) jobs in my life and thought this was the last I would have, but as stated, due to life and it's curve balls, I was placed on the unemployment rolls on January 30th. I have looked for work at a lot of places (MONSTER, JUJU, CareerBuilders, etc) and when I looked right in my back yard, I had a 3 hour interview yesterday and to make a long story short, I start Monday 2/27, with a better position and compensation package than I had for the larger employer.

Although I was only unemployed for 14 days, it scared the living ((you know what)) out of me. I was lucky to find a position that was equal to better than I had, with a smaller company. So I have gone from being a "small fish in a big pond to a BIG fish in a small pond." The other thing that scared me a lot, was that I have no formal education past one semester of college. Every job or position I looked at would not even entertain anyone who did not have at least a 4 year degree, no matter how much experience they had. I left college when I started my trucking company and brought it to an 8 state regional corporation in the 27 years I operated it, then I began to work for someone else, while on the side, I operated a travel agency.

So, I pay the slip bill next week and await the April splash date.

Oh yeah, did I say that I have the option of working FOUR day weeks instead of 5's?? When one door closes another opens. I thank the guy upstairs for this great oppurtunity for me at age 53!

Tony
                            Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                            "HOLODECK"
                            www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Tony!!..great news man!!!...congrats on the new job and raise!!..(just in time for higher gas prices)....

really though...congrats and best of luck to you in the new job..

:arr arr

Comment

Working...
                              X