Need help to diagnose power steering issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to diagnose power steering issue

My boat seems to be coming apart this year! I am planning to take it out of the water to address an apparent Cone Clutch Assembly issue; We intend to replace the Yoke and the cone clutch, hoping that the gears are fine. There is still the exhaust pipe I ned to replace, for which th eengine has to come out. As I was doing a final test run I ran into a steering issue. In rough waters, when I turn the helm to one side or other it sometimes responded well up to a point and then gets "stuck" f
    untill I can force it past that point , after which it continues ok. I tried going to either side with rapid movements, sometimes very smooth sometimes some resistance/jerkiness before it continues its turn. All was OK after I came into the calmer waters of the marina and did a couple of swift turns of the helm.

I intend to check the belt, and pulley and also make sure that the fluid level is OK. What else should we be looking for? How can I make sure the pump is OK ($1700 !!!).

Thanks,
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Like you say, check the belt tension and it’s condition and the fluid level. If the pump turns out to be going bad an automotive one can be used but the pressure relief valve from the old pump may be needed.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Sounds like binding in the steering cable or power assist cylinder.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

the power steering pumps are tough. Ive never seen one fail without some noise from it long before it starts showing any other signs of impending failure... as said previously, it could be a slipping belt, which can slip when in a seaway with higher outside forces acting on the drive, but in calm waters it may seem to work fine....

without us being able to feel the actual problem your having, its hard to really say.. it could also be the cable showing signs of failure, or it could be the power assist slave valve on its way out...

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

The pump should be a GM pump. Likely a 80s or 90s version. Look at a picture. If it looks the same, it is.
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

UPDATE: Checked the belt, it was loose, seemd it stretched a bit as there is no tension adjustment. Could rotate the belt by hand (when engine not running!) as it slides over the pulley. Will replace the belt and test.

Thanks,
            [email protected]
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post
              UPDATE: Checked the belt, it was loose, seemd it stretched a bit as there is no tension adjustment. Could rotate the belt by hand (when engine not running!) as it slides over the pulley. Will replace the belt and test.

Thanks,
              Vista, I’m not familiar with the diesel power you have but is this a V belt driven PS pump? If so the pump itself is likely the tension adjustment via loosening the pivot bolt and another (could be a 3rd) that allows the entire pump to articulate to some degree on the pivot bolt.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

UPDATE: The steering issue was solved by replacing the belt for the steering pump. The old belt seemed perfect, no cracks or anything. But folding it flat and matching it against the new belt shpwed that it has streteched by about 2 mm, meaning 4mm diameter increase. Also the traction grooves on the inside of th ebelt appear to have deepened a bit, also creating the same effect as stretching the belt. The new belt fit in tightly and issue appears resolved.

Thanks for the advice.
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

Comment

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad it was a simple fix, happy boating👍

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Vista, I’m not familiar with the diesel power you have but is this a V belt driven PS pump? If so the pump itself is likely the tension adjustment via loosening the pivot bolt and another (could be a 3rd) that allows the entire pump to articulate to some degree on the pivot bolt.
                This is a straight belt going around the main engine flywheel that needs to be removed to create some space for the tools to work.there is no adjustment or tension wheel but one of the mounting holes for the pumphas an elongated hole that may perhaps be used for adjustment. I am not sure if we could use that to provide more tension. However after measuring the old vs new belt and seen the stretch and deepened grooves on the old belt I am glad we replaced it. Thanks
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X