No announcement yet.

1979 Bayliner/Chris Craft powered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I’ve had success is one full pump then back to idle then back up about a 1/4 of the way. It’ll fire up and run around 1500-2000 rpm give or take. If up around 2000 I instantly bump it back to get 15-1800 and let it warm up. It’ll slowly increase rpm during warm up and I continually bump it back to maintain 15-1800.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bendix ball and chain starter motor 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	536344
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Haha! I like it. Good one Rick!

Comment

Thank you… It was meant to be humorous… No offense!
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• yachtman
            yachtman commented
            Editing a comment
            Im offended. 😁

No offense taken. It made me laugh. Mission accomplished

Comment

While HTGR starters are the best thing since toilet paper if an engine won't start with a Bendix starter your have much bigger fish to fry.

I'm sure a fish carton will be posted as that seems to be the trend here............COMIC-CON
            " WET EVER "
            1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
            mmsi 338108404
            mmsi 338124956
            "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
              While HTGR starters are the best thing since toilet paper if an engine won't start with a Bendix starter your have much bigger fish to fry.

I'm sure a fish carton will be posted as that seems to be the trend here............COMIC-CON
              Exactly, the starter conversation as long as it is spinning the right way is a distraction from the issue.
              1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
              1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I tried to find a video that would show the difference in cranking speed between the old school Bendix Drive starter motor and one of today's HTGR starter motors, but came up short.
                I can tell you first hand, that there is quite a difference in cranking speed between the two.

I did find this:

Direct drive and gear reduction are the two methods that a starter can use to drive the ring gear of a flex plate or flywheel. Direct drive came first, and it involves using a large, low speed motor to rotate a pinion gear in a 1:1 ratio. Gear reduction was first introduced by Chrysler in the 1960s, but it entered mainstream usage about 20 years ago.

Unlike direct drive,
                gear reduction starters use smaller, faster motors to rotate their pinion gears in a roughly 4:1 ratio, which results in lower power consumption and higher torque. When direct drive and gear reduction starters are compared, direct drive units are typically cheaper, and gear reduction units tend to be smaller, lighter, and more efficient.
                Large, low speed motor Small, fast motor
                Rotates a pinion gear in a 1:1 ratio Rotates a pinion gear in a 4:1 ratio
                I know that a few of you think that the issue is somewhere else.
                In my opinion, the OP first needs to get these engines cranking faster!
                Those old school Bendix Drive starter motors aren't going to cut the mustard! They never will!

Meanwhile, I came upon this video that explains how the Delco Remy style non-gear reduction motor works.
                Note the verbiage at 2:00 minutes into the video.
                At low cranking speed, the Bendix style pinion gear speed will become over-run by the flywheel speed, and will release as what we see occurring in the OP's video.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

jwrig43..... any updates for us?
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I agree with datool. While gear reduction starters are great, this isn't the problem and if it does start the engines, it is just masking the real problem.
                    These old type starters started engines before most of you were born. And did it well.
                    They started before installation. There is another problem not allowing full voltage to reach the starter. A good place to start is remove the starter and have it tested at an automotive store under load. if they are good, the problem is between a good battery and the starter.
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                      Nauti_Mike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      See post # 5 as this discussion started then and I still believe his issue is not the starters but going with HTGR will be an improvement. Note the OP said they did start out of the boat but not easily.

Doug, his old school Bendix style starter motors are NEW! He needs to return them and get modern day replacements!
                    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
                      Doug, his old school Bendix style starter motors are NEW! He needs to return them and get modern day replacements!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	18
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	537839
                      " WET EVER "
                      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                      mmsi 338108404
                      mmsi 338124956
                      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Dean.... good one... I guess that I had that coming!

By the way.... I just recently watched that movie for the first time. That scene was funny.
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I just can't agree Rick. They will start the engine. They have for years. There is a problem between the battery and the starter. Gear reduction starters will not correct that. They may start the engine but the problem is still there. A little worst and the new starters nay no longer do the job. The gear reduction starters didn't change anything with the old style starters. They worked before gear reduction was ever thought of. They will still work if everything is as it should be.
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned

Comment

Hey Rick, I have a story for you. You will likely cringe on this one.
                          In 1965 I bought a 1947 46' Chris Craft. It had a 32 volt house system. Fridge, water pump, lights all 32 volt. Even the Onan genny charged 32 volt. A great system.
                          But the starting system was 6 volt. I converted it to 12 volt but used the same starters. The engines were 6 cyl. Hercules. 404 ci. Low rpm engines. about 3600 rpms wot and had the torque of a diesel. They pushed that boat at a cruise of 16 mph and wot of 22 mph.
                          Just some background info.
                          A few years later I found the same engines. New engines still in crates from Chris Craft. What a find. I replaced the starters with the old 6 volt starters. kept the new 12 volt starters for spares. One engine ran backwards btw. I had that boat 22 years. In all those years those starters never failed. They sure spun those engines however.
                          Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned

Comment

• builderdude
                            builderdude commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I used a 6 volt starter in a 12 volt (converted) VW bug for years, never failed and spun the engine real good👍
                        Working...
                        X