No announcement yet.

AQ280 Not engaging prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering if I goofed...to judge the size of threaded rod, I took one of the carrier cap screws and measured it. It threaded into a 7/16 nut so I bought 7/16 threaded rod. I cut the threaded rod into two shorter lengths and installed them in the holes where the carrier cap screws came from. Naturally, the rod threaded in to where the screws were sitting. Are the threads the rod is now screwed into in the lower unit's main housing or the carrier? Should the rods screw into anything at all or just slide in the holes until they come to rest on a wall/flange/bulkhead within the housing and that's what the rods push on toe pull the prop shaft and thus the carrier out of the housing?

Comment

The grade #8 7/16” NC rods thread into the main gear case until they gently bottom out.
      There are no 7/16” NC threads in the bearing Cartier.

As the two grade #8 7/16” NC nuts jack equally against the heavy steel plate, the plate pushes the prop shaft’s spinner AFT, which in turns pulls the prop shaft and the bearing carrier AFT and out!
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Back to the beefing up my extraction tool then...

Comment

I think that would be a good idea.
          Also, use grade #8 all-thread and grade #8 nuts or coupling nuts.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

BTW, what does NC stand for?

Comment

National Course...... as apposed to National Fine.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

So 7/16-14 as opposed to 7/16-20. And I'm having a tough time finding Grade 8 threaded rod. Is it called by any other name?

Comment

Originally posted by jon_s_brady View Post
                  So 7/16-14 as opposed to 7/16-20. And I'm having a tough time finding Grade 8 threaded rod. Is it called by any other name?
                  Not that I am aware of!
                  You may need to visit a specialty fastener company for grade #8 as I doubt that you would find them at the average hardware store.

The prop shaft bearing carrier is sealed with two large O-rings.
                  Corrosion can exist near the O-ring area, and can make it difficult to remove the bearing carrier.
                  Heat is your friend here.
                  No Oxy/Acet...... Propane or Mapp gas is just fine.
                  Simply heat the entire area up just enough that you would not want to hold your hand on it for very long.
                  The mild case expansion will help the carrier release itself from the housing.

Keep in mind that the prop shaft, bearing carrier, driven gear and main thrust bearing will come out as a unit.
                  No shim control values will be disturbed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop shaft carrier puller tool 6 .jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.8 KB ID:	537158

Meanwhile, I've updated my previous images to add more clarity and detail:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop shaft carrier puller tool 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	537155

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop shaft carrier puller tool 5 .jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.9 KB ID:	537156
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fantastic images as usual Rick👍

Comment

Finally won the battle...now to the removal of the drive shaft...

Comment

It helped to use a little heat from a butane torch and gentle tapping of the housing.

Comment

Rick, this is all that's left of the paper shim and Click image for larger version

Name:	15686003029066331173987304083576.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	537284 and metal shim under the lower bearing...comment?

Comment

You may be picking up some shims for above the bearing race within the Intermediate housing anyway.... so see if you can get a new one.
                          Also, keep in mind that the angular contact bearing is directional..... meaning that the thrust side will be at the top.

You've taken on a technically challenging project! Keep up the good work...... you're almost there!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I'm puzzled by the use of a paper shim in an area where it'll get soaked in oil and crushed/flattened. Any idea on the purpose of it?

Also, in cleaning up the prop shaft and unit..it appears there was some sealant applied in addition to the two O-rings. - at least there's a residue on both surfaces. Is there a need to add a sealant when putting the prop shaft/unit back in or do the O-rings suffice?

Finally, I notice MSC have a SKF bearings and such. Are the VP shims special in any way or is there an equivalent. Reason for asking is I need the boat back in the water on Saturday and waiting for parts in the mail from NY is not helping my blood pressure...

Comment

Originally posted by jon_s_brady View Post
                              I'm puzzled by the use of a paper shim in an area where it'll get soaked in oil and crushed/flattened. Any idea on the purpose of it?
                              While I know that Volvo Penta has a reason for the paper shim, I have not been able to explain the purpose it.

Also, in cleaning up the prop shaft and unit..it appears there was some sealant applied in addition to the two O-rings. - at least there's a residue on both surfaces. Is there a need to add a sealant when putting the prop shaft/unit back in or do the O-rings suffice?
                              If in ocean water, I would use QuickSilver "Perfect Seal" liberally on that area.
                              If in lake/river water, you can use water proof grease.

Finally, I notice MSC have a SKF bearings and such. Are the VP shims special in any way or is there an equivalent.
                              I highly doubt that you could find the correct shims other than through Volvo Penta.

Reason for asking is I need the boat back in the water on Saturday and waiting for parts in the mail from NY is not helping my blood pressure..
                              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X