Storeing boat on trailer?-gctid419570

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storeing boat on trailer?-gctid419570

I plan to take our 1996 2452 out of the water and store it on the trailer.What is the proper to block the trailer up to keep the weight off the wheels? JIM in SC.

Why? - tires hold loads all the time.
    1989 3888
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I jack my frame up every fall and then place blocks under the frame to take the load off of the tires, bearings, axles, etc. It's also a good time to pull the hubs off and ensure that everythings good to go in the spring. Leaving the weight on one spot for an extended period of time will shorten tire life, and I believe, every other component involved.
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

boilertender wrote:
        I plan to take our 1996 2452 out of the water and store it on the trailer.What is the proper to block the trailer up to keep the weight off the wheels? JIM in SC.
        Our marina stores over 150 boats on trailers. The time to look at bearings and fix the trailer is before the boat goes on it. Once they spray with acid scrub and then power wash with diesel 6000 psi with hot water then they are shrink wrapped and put in rows till April when they are summerized and delivered or put in the water.

Ken
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

Suggestion: Just keep the sun off the tires, many parked trailers tend get baked on one side.

Comment

Jim, I agree on all of these points:
            • No issues with storing a 24 footer on it's trailer, suspension, axles, bearings, wheels and tires.
            • Also agree that if you want to block up the trailer frame, no harm/no foul.
            • The time to inspect wheel bearings, or do any other trailer maintenance, would be prior to the boat going onto the trailer.
            • Keep the tires from undergoing UV exposure best you can.

Roller supports and suspensions self-adjust to accommodate the hull load evenly....., but bunk support trailers must be fit correctly for the hull.

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
            X