Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert boat
    replied
    Yeah as normal I should be more clear... When going slow in shallows. Like loading on the trailer...

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Interesting, only overheats when trimmed up? So I’ll assume your up on plane running around 3600 rpm, trimmed up a bit to find the sweet spot. It’s possible the water hose from the bell housing to the gimbal housing has become compromised and is sucking air. I’d say if a drive service has not been done in the last 4-5 years it’d be a good idea to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Desert boat
    replied
    Ok wanted to update from last weekend and say thanks again!!!
    think I have narrowed it down... Seems to only overheat when I'm trimmed up. Not sure if something is getting kinked or what, but have plans on pulling the drive this winter and going through it. Definitely needs a recoat before it ever sees salt.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    commented on 's reply
    I was thinking it’s a Bravo and may have a cooling restriction in the transom water hose but a lot of 7.4s were still mated to Alphas in the late 80’s

• Desert boat
    replied
    Okay so first thanks everyone for your support and help. Glad I found a community like this one.

So here is where I'm at. I'm going to put it back together as it should be, but will do that when I get to the lake. Like 15deg cooler there... Chief I will be shooting an email!!! Thanks again everyone!! Will keep everyone posted as to how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Gsherwood
    commented on 's reply
    “Pop them off” hah! 😄

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    What drive ?
    Originally posted by Desert boat
    (88 merc 7.4)...................................... So pulled hoses from pump and ran water through them ..................
    From the above comments, me thinks Bravo drive with engine mounted seawater pump!

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Did you perform a flow test at the thermostat housing to see if the engine is getting proper flow? I/O? If so what drive?

Leave a comment:

• Chief_Alen
    replied
    Let's see the impeller ... Running at 190 is not that bad if it was 200 is a no no.

What drive ?

You tried back washing, pull the hose that brings lake or sea water in from the drive, backwash place the drive in a bucket or trash can or have some watch what comes out.

I am a little confused " changed the raw water pump "

P.S can't wait to get my grandkids on a boat, and teach them fishing I am jealous .

Shoot me a email [email protected] include your cell number or I'll send you mine, 5 minutes on the phone beats a 100 posts I just helped a guy in Cali on the phone, he found me thru another website from years ago posting there.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Originally posted by Desert boat View Post
    ............... . Pulled pump today to check it out and it's a little chewed up, but far from destroyed.

Now the question. Can I flip the impeller? The other side of the lands are in much better shape.

So kinda hoping to mcgiver something.

Of all the things to NOT mcqiver, this is at the top of the list!
    In other words, DO NOT flip the impeller over and run it.... even for a short duration!
    The blades have no doubt taken a "set" by now, and will not undergo the stress of being folded over and forced to run in the opposite direction of rotation.
    Some of them will most likely break off.
    If they were to break off, they will become lodged within the seawater path.
    If so, you will be spending unnecessary time trying to retrieve all of the pieces.

Leave a comment:

• MonteVista
    replied
    In my opinion flipping the impeller may be tried as an experiment just for a test or a short while but should not be used as a "solution". The impeller wings bend in a certain direction which is cruicial for proper operation. When you turn them around they may not function as planned and also the wings may break.

Leave a comment:

• Desert boat
    replied
    After re-reading yes it is as you guessed.... With a heat exchanger....

Leave a comment:

• Desert boat
    replied
    Well with that said I'm definitely going to grab some pics!!! Lol

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    I don’t recommend flipping the impeller. There is a risk of it breaking up altogether. My suspension is that the exhaust manifolds and risers are getting blocked with rust. You can usually pop the risers off and get a good look at the inner water jacket. I’m guessing this is a partial closed cooled engine using coolant and a heat exchanger. If it has cooing hoses going directly to the risers, it’s a fully closed system and there is a block off plate between the manifold and the riser. Look very specifically at the point where the water jacket effectively ends and dumps the water into the exhaust. That’s usually where things clog first. You should be able to put your hand on any part of a partial closed cooled manifold and have it only feel slightly warm. Risers should be less than a hot tub.
    Note the position of the hose clamps on the exhaust riser. They should be 180 degrees opposite and opposing directions, so you should be looking at the slot/hex end of the hose clamp.

Leave a comment:

• Desert boat
    replied
    Going to give it a try... Lol all I have accomplished so far is inventing new four letter words... Lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X