Temp Sender / Gauge Questions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
    I understand that this outfit makes the OEM Mercruiser code tools. Their code-mate reader looks like it may not be too expensive, but I don't know if it will work with your MPI engine:
    https://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

I was also thinking of something, according to the document that I posted earlier, one of the triggers for the alarm is a faulty sensor. Based on this, trying to diagnose the problem the old fashion way, by disconnecting sensors, may not work because the system will see the disconnected sensor as a faulty sensor and set the alarm.

Hey Rider,

I had thought of that as well, but was not sure. I was thinking the switch was just closing a circuit and if the circuit was not closed, the Alarm would not be triggered. Hmmm...

Thanks
    Ed

Comment

Hi Guys,

I am somewhat sure that my Engine is an MEFI3 version but can anyone confirm this who may be more knowledgeable then me? I want to make sure I am following the right troubleshooting procedure and looking at the correct Codes.

2000yr. Sierra Sunbridge
      7.4 MPI - Bravo 3
      S/N - 0L655555

Thanks
      Ed

Comment

Hey guys,

One more thing, while looking up the Engine schematics the only 2 that are the correct year are 7.4L BRAVO MPI GEN VI GM 454 V-8 1998-2000 or the L29 - Model - 7.4L MPI MIE L29 GEN VI GM 454 V-8 1998-2000.

I think its the 7.4L BRAVO MPI GEN VI GM 454 V-8 1998-2000. But is there a difference? I can only see that the L-29 Model is an Inboard model with a Transmission? Correct?

Ed

Comment

Hi guys,

Question:

The Water Temp Sender = Water Temp Gauge Reading.

The Water Temp Switch = Reaches 200 deg. the Alarm goes Off.

The Oil Pressure Sender = Oil Pressure Gauge Reading.

Question:
        The Oil Switch = Does what exactly????

Thanks
        Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by Electriceddie View Post
          Hi guys,

Question:

The Water Temp Sender = Water Temp Gauge Reading.

The Water Temp Switch = Reaches 200 deg. the Alarm goes Off.

The Oil Pressure Sender = Oil Pressure Gauge Reading.

Question:
          The Oil Switch = Does what exactly????

Thanks
          Eddie

No oil pressure, alarm goes off.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Yep, think it’s limit is pretty low like 5 psi or something
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Eddie, guess I forgot what you have done. Have you removed one alarm sender wire at a time until the alarm no longer sounds? This will at least isolate it to the issue.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                Eddie, guess I forgot what you have done. Have you removed one alarm sender wire at a time until the alarm no longer sounds? This will at least isolate it to the issue.
                Hi Mike,

Yes I did. I gave a run down a few posts ago. I disconnect everything the Lube oil tank connection,The Oil witch & the Water Switch & the Alarm still goes off.

Check out Post #28 ( 2nd page) I put in a lot of data.

Thanks
                Eddie

Comment

Hi Guys,

I was able to read the codes of the engine. I found a link online how to read codes using the Ohm Meter Tone Circuit Tester.

Here is the link:

I am getting an Error Code 14 & 23

14 = Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) - Low Temp
                  23 = Manifold Air Temp Sensor (MAT) - Low Temp

NEED HELP HERE GUYS.....

What can I do? I am assuming this is why the Alarm is going OFF.

Should I check and see if there is a T-Stat in the Engine? Should I replace if there is?

Any Advice?

Thanks
                  Eddie

Comment

But again, there are more triggers than the 3 for an mpi me thinks. Unfortunately I have no personal experience with the mpi engine stuff😕
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Hi Guys,

opening up to check t- stat and replace with new one.

Comment

Thermostat has nothing to do with the MAT sensor, it may be bad but you can test it per the mercruiser manual instructions.

Mike

Comment

Hi Guys,

Replaced the T-Stat and the Alarm is Still Beeping away after 45 sec's to -1 min of running on Plane. The Alarm only goes off when on plane approx.3400 to 3600 RPM's.

An Interesting note:

When the Alarm goes Off on Plane the Alarm goes of as ONE LONG STAEDY TONE. When I bring the throttle back down right away to 5-8 MPH 1800 RPM the ALARM Beeps a few beeps and stops. Is there a difference of the way the Alarm is reacting?

Thanks
                          Eddie

Comment

I think you need to go back to the codes and the two sensors. The Mercruiser manual (pg 5D-3) shows the cause for each code can be open or short circuit or bad sensors. It is rare for two sensors to fail at the same time, so I think there's a short or open circuit in the sensor wiring. My guess is that there's ground or power wire that is shared by both sensors and this wire has a bad connection or is shorting out.

Look at the digram pn page 4E-17. Both sensors have a black ground wire. You may want to temporarily disconnect the black wire at each sensor and run a wire from a good engine block ground to each one, clear the engine codes, and run the engine to see if the alarm comes back.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U7GzM6bxDa0T8j
                            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Hi Guys,

Curious,

Anyone have any ideas, if this is a short, why the Dash alarm goes off only when on Plane? No Alarm issues when going slow under 10MPH.

Thanks
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X