No announcement yet.

Temp Sender / Gauge Questions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this helps. A couple years ago I was having similar alarm issues with 2007 Merc Horizon 5.7. Would go off on plane, but temp wasn't really rising that much. Marina mechanic couldn't figure it out. End of season took it to where I store it (and where they have more experience with these engines). From their computer they determined alarm will go off when it detects a certain low water pressure also. I think they explained it as sort of a precursor to rising temps. Not sure how that fits in to all the sensor you unhooked.

Paul
    2008 Rinker 330 EC
    Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
    2007 285 (sold)
    350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

Yes, mpi incorporates more triggers for the alarm. I personally can’t help with those
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Hi Guys,

According to the Plaque on the Dashboard there are 3 things that the Alarm will go OFF from:

1. The Water Temp is Overheating.

2. The Lower Unit = Lube Oil container is low on Oil.

3. The Oil Pressure is Low.

I don't have the plaque in front of me as I sit here on the couch typing, but I am pretty sure that's what the plaque says.

Does anyone know if there are any other reasons or situations that the Alarm would go OFF?

Very frustrating as the summer moves on and I am concerned about using the boat with the Alarm going Off.

Thanks
        Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Electriceddie View Post
          Hi Guys,

According to the Plaque on the Dashboard there are 3 things that the Alarm will go OFF from:

1. The Water Temp is Overheating.

2. The Lower Unit = Lube Oil container is low on Oil.

3. The Oil Pressure is Low.

I don't have the plaque in front of me as I sit here on the couch typing, but I am pretty sure that's what the plaque says.

Does anyone know if there are any other reasons or situations that the Alarm would go OFF?

Very frustrating as the summer moves on and I am concerned about using the boat with the Alarm going Off.

Thanks
          Ed
          For carburetor engines that would be true but MPIs have many more fault codes.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Can you expand on that other reasons why the Alarm would go OFF?

I feel like Ripping the Alarm out of the boat.....LOL...

I would like to use the boat and not keep paying for dockage that the boat just sits there.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
            Ed

Comment

Here's a Mercruiser document on the warning horn. Look at the chart on page 5. It looks like the triggers for the horn are the following:

Oil pressure
              Engine temperature
              Drive lube level or transmission temperature on MIE models
              Sensor fault
              Low battery

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QqPPR5YEqiMfcZ
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks Norton Rider ,

It gave me another direction.

I have a question.

Do you or anyone else know what is referred to in the Manual section "Mercruiser Horn Warning Systems" - pg. 4 & 5 - "Scan with CDS" means?

I am assuming some kind of scanner, but where would I get one?

Anyone???

Thanks Again

Ed

Comment

This has come up in previous threads. I believe Mercruiser computer diagnostics are a Mercruiser only thing. In other words you’ll need to have it diagnosed/scanned by a certified Mercruiser tech.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                    Your t stat housing needs some serious TLC🤢
                    Typically Mercruiser alarm switches incorporated a tan wire for triggering the alarm. The switches are normally open during engine operation. If temp rises to the set threshold of the switch or oil pressure decreases to the set threshold of the switch or the drive lube gets low (simple float switch) that will close the switch (negative side of the circuit) and sound the alarm.

Hey Builderdude,

Yea it looks pretty awful under there, I was not aware of it until I took the pics. The water pump and some of the pullies are starting to rust as well. I want to pull the water pump off and replace it before the bolts get too rusted out and they strip and become a Major Headache.

Then what you are saying is, if I disconnect the water Temp Switch, The Oil Pressure Switch & disconnect The Lube Oil Switch then I have taken all 3 switches out of the equation, Correct? Then the Alarm should not sound. Of course I have done this and the Alarm still sounds. So where else should I look?

Getting frustrated. Summers almost over and I can't figure this out. My wife just finished Radiation treatments for Breast Cancer and is depressed because she wants to go out on the boat and relax. It's the only place she can relax, because she's not home always doing housework.

Thanks
                    Again Guys,

Ed

Comment

Not really up to speed on the mpi engines, I believe there’s a water pressure flow switch also but I’m not 100% on that. Others with more knowledge on the mpi would be more helpful
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      Misc. projects thread

Comment

• Lineman1
                        Lineman1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There is a water pressure flow switch. On my 2003 6.2 is is incorporated in the power steering cooler.

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                      This has come up in previous threads. I believe Mercruiser computer diagnostics are a Mercruiser only thing. In other words you’ll need to have it diagnosed/scanned by a certified Mercruiser tech.

I am on Long Island and its almost impossible to find a Good Mechanic that really knows his stuff. I have come across 2 mechanics in the past with 1-2 years experience out of mechanics school and need to work on an engine while using a Manual. I need someone who knows his stuff and who's got experience. This is the second year now I am having several issues that are ruining our boating season for such a short Summer that we get. I am disabled and still hold a job, The doc s wanted me to go on disability 8 years ago and I won't do it. So I work and I have very limited time on weekends only to try to resolve this.

Thanks
                      Ed

Comment

I understand that this outfit makes the OEM Mercruiser code tools. Their code-mate reader looks like it may not be too expensive, but I don't know if it will work with your MPI engine:
                        https://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

I was also thinking of something, according to the document that I posted earlier, one of the triggers for the alarm is a faulty sensor. Based on this, trying to diagnose the problem the old fashion way, by disconnecting sensors, may not work because the system will see the disconnected sensor as a faulty sensor and set the alarm.
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

I haven't got my engine up an running yet. But it is my understanding that you can read the fault codes from the "VesselView Mobile" module. It's an add on that sends engine data to an app on your phone via bluetooth. It plugs in to the same plug merc's scene tool uses At least that's why I bought the thing. Maybe someone who has one running can comment. Like I said before there is a raw water pressure switch. Mine is on the power steering cooler. Maybe your raw water pump is going out or the pickup is is partly blocked? I'm kinda guessing at this but there are a bunch of reasons the computer running your motor might trigger an alarm. Kinda like the computer in your car triggers a check engine light.
                          1992 2452
                          5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Originally posted by Lineman1 View Post
                            I haven't got my engine up an running yet. But it is my understanding that you can read the fault codes from the "VesselView Mobile" module. It's an add on that sends engine data to an app on your phone via bluetooth. It plugs in to the same plug merc's scene tool uses At least that's why I bought the thing. Maybe someone who has one running can comment. Like I said before there is a raw water pressure switch. Mine is on the power steering cooler. Maybe your raw water pump is going out or the pickup is is partly blocked? I'm kinda guessing at this but there are a bunch of reasons the computer running your motor might trigger an alarm. Kinda like the computer in your car triggers a check engine light.
                            I may be wrong, but I do not think that this works with earlier MPI engines.
                            Anacortes, WA

Comment

VVM only works with engines starting in 2003, and then not all 2003 engines. Need to give serial # to Merc to confirm 2003 models.
                              2008 Rinker 330 EC
                              Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                              2007 285 (sold)
                              350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

Working...
                              X