Trying to understand the head system in a 87 ciera-gctid419332

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to understand the head system in a 87 ciera-gctid419332

I cant quite understand how the above captioned works. I see the waste pipe from the head enters the top of the waste tank in the engine compartment. I also see a drain pipe from the bottom of the same tank comes off for a few inchs then tee's to the waste port on the aft deck which is capped and says 'waste'. The pipe continues from the tee about 8 inchs and terminates into a maceator pump which the pump then discharges via a small hose out the starboard side. The pump is hardwired directly to the 12 vdc buss under the panel at the helm. (no switch in line.)

So what triggers this pump "on" and shouldnt it grind the waste before the tank? I've rebuilt my entire house....several airplanes...and I repair electronics for a living but I can't figure out a marine head.....

Here's how it works assuming you have a manual pump toilet:

When the toilet is pumped, raw water flows to the toilet from a through hull fitting probably located in the engine compartment. There is a valve (seacock) attached to this fitting.

The manual pumping action moves the effluent from the toilet to the holding tank.

The holding tank is equipped with a pump-out pipe/hose that runs from the approximate bottom of the tank and terminates on the side deck and has a cap marked 'Waste'. An external suction pump is attached at this fitting and the effluent is sucked out. Pump out stations are located at most marinas and fuel docks.

There is an air vent attached to the holding tank that allows air flow in and out of the tank. As the tank fills, air is pushed out through the vent. The vent also allows air to flow into the tank during pump out. Atmospheric pressure is what allows the effluent to move to the pump.

The macerator pump should be on its own breaker and switch. The switch on that vintage Ciera is usually on the dash. The macerator system allows for direct pump out overboard but it may be disabled. Most areas do not allow direct discharge and require that boats with macerators have them disabled so that they cannot be operated. Usually there is a Y-valve associated with the macerator system.

That's about it...

Comment

telebob wrote:
      Here's how it works assuming you have a manual pump toilet:

When the toilet is pumped, raw water flows to the toilet from a through hull fitting probably located in the engine compartment. There is a valve (seacock) attached to this fitting.

The manual pumping action moves the effluent from the toilet to the holding tank.

The holding tank is equipped with a pump-out pipe/hose that runs from the approximate bottom of the tank and terminates on the side deck and has a cap marked 'Waste'. An external suction pump is attached at this fitting and the effluent is sucked out. Pump out stations are located at most marinas and fuel docks.

There is an air vent attached to the holding tank that allows air flow in and out of the tank. As the tank fills, air is pushed out through the vent. The vent also allows air to flow into the tank during pump out. Atmospheric pressure is what allows the effluent to move to the pump.

The macerator pump should be on its own breaker and switch. The switch on that vintage Ciera is usually on the dash. The macerator system allows for direct pump out overboard but it may be disabled. Most areas do not allow direct discharge and require that boats with macerators have them disabled so that they cannot be operated. Usually there is a Y-valve associated with the macerator system.

That's about it...
      Thank you telebob..I think during this rehab I will eliminate the pump and the tee and keep it simple. No switch anywhere. Most likely taken out long ago. I do see the through hull valve and another tee in line which feeds the wash down pump. That I'll keep. Thank you again for the help.

Comment

Here's a Bayliner manual for that year - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19338584/19...0Trophy%20.pdf . Not super comprehensive, but better than nothing.

Comment

I think that Bob's description is right on.

And as said, if there is no key switch for the macerator pump, then it has likely been disabled.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Generally correct diagram.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/723434=32093-MarineHead.jpg[/img]

Comment

Glad to be able to help.

Comment

Working...
              X