Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underwater Threadlocker and VP plastic washer for prop questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Underwater Threadlocker and VP plastic washer for prop questions

    I am putting a new prop on with the drive under water. Is there a threadlocker that I can use on the spinner and center bolt that work for submerged applications?

    What is the purpose of the plastic washer? Is it just to separate unlike metals?

    I'm asking because I recently replaced my damaged prop. The first time out with the new prop. It ran great. The 2nd time I went out the day ended with the boat ties to the back of a seatow boat and the brand new prop in the bottom of the bay. I thought I tightened it as much as I could. When I removed the old prop the washer was not on it.

    This is a 5.7 VP with a 290 drive.

    #2
    Had I seen "Volvo Penta" in the thread title, I would have posted sooner.

    ............
    Originally posted by Barcia24 View Post
    I am putting a new prop on with the drive under water. Is there a threadlocker that I can use on the spinner and center bolt that work for submerged applications?
    None that I am aware of.

    What is the purpose of the plastic washer? Is it just to separate unlike metals?
    It's just a soft cushion so to speak. Both the prop and spinner are of like metals.

    I'm asking because I recently replaced my damaged prop. The first time out with the new prop. It ran great. The 2nd time I went out the day ended with the boat tied to the back of a seatow boat and the brand new prop in the bottom of the bay. I thought I tightened it as much as I could. When I removed the old prop the washer was not on it.

    This is a 5.7 VP with a 290 drive.
    Whether the plastic washer is there or not, tighten the spinner snugly.
    Insert the center locking bolt and tighten.
    The center locking bolt will prevent the spinner from backing off.

    If you are very concerned, find a way to drill a few small holes in the prop hub and in the spinner, and use a SS safety wire wrapped and tied off in fashion that will prevent CCW rotation of the spinner.
    Keep some extra SS safety wire on board with your spare prop and prop hardware.


    CAUTION:
    Some of the OEM center locking bolts have a blue nylon "pill" inserted into the threaded area.
    This "pill" weakens the bolt.
    Grease the threads as to prevent this bolt from becoming stuck and breaking off at the "pill" area.


    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

    Comment


      #3
      Regarding threadlocker, call the Permatex people.

      Threadlocker cures anaerobically. No oxygen required. It becomes a plastic blob. Water should not affect it once cured. Theoretically it may even cure underwater. I have not tried that.

      The company can answer your question if you call.
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by vr5200 View Post

        Threadlocker cures anaerobically. No oxygen required. It becomes a plastic blob. Water should not affect it once cured. Theoretically it may even cure underwater.
        True!
        However, I'm not sure that I'd want to use it on this center locking bolt.

        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post

          True!
          However, I'm not sure that I'd want to use it on this center locking bolt.
          They have different strengths...…..is there one you think might be suitable, or are you thinking don't use any at all?

          Here are some choices...….

          https://www.permatex.com/product-cat...wp_per_page=24
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by vr5200 View Post

            They have different strengths...…..is there one you think might be suitable, or are you thinking don't use any at all?
            If I was going to use any, it would be the lighter holding or locking type.

            Often we can use heat to loosen thread lockers.
            Let's say that this bolt becomes very locked and that the OP wants to remove it.
            Let's also say that he wants to remove it while all is submerged (or partially submerged) in cold water.
            There is no way to apply heat to the actual threads while the spinner is in position, let alone when all is so cold.
            Add to that.... he may be using the locking bolt with the "pill" in it.
            What if he were to snap that bolt off?
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post

              If I was going to use any, it would be the lighter holding or locking type.

              Often we can use heat to loosen thread lockers.
              Let's say that this bolt becomes very locked and that the OP wants to remove it.
              Let's also say that he wants to remove it while all is submerged (or partially submerged) in cold water.
              There is no way to apply heat to the actual threads while the spinner is in position, let alone when all is so cold.
              Add to that.... he may be using the locking bolt with the "pill" in it.
              What if he were to snap that bolt off?
              You raise some good points.
              I like my Mercruiser nut and washer with tabs approach.
              I never really looked at any VP until this question came up and I found a YouTube video that showed installing a VP prop.
              Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
              Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

              Comment


                #8
                What are your thoughts on this product?

                https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadloc...-3-threadmate/

                And I assume it doesnt but does have a LH rotating prop have an effect on it staying tight?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Barcia24 View Post
                  What are your thoughts on this product?

                  https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadloc...-3-threadmate/

                  And I assume it doesnt but does have a LH rotating prop have an effect on it staying tight?
                  I have not heard of this brand, but that does not mean anything

                  LH or RH threads are equally impacted by any threadlocker product
                  Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
                  Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I wasn't clear. I apologize.

                    I have a LH rotating prop. The cone and center bolt are RH threads. With or without threadlocker would this set up be more likely to come loose? My thoughts, which I may be way off, are that when the prop stops the cone and bolt want to keep moving. With it being a LH prop this would theoretically loosen the cone and bolt.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It is true that the nut wants to come off in a certain direction.

                      Even though the prop is splined to the shaft it theoretically applies a little bit of a twisting force against the items holding it in place.

                      Because we operate our boats in both forward and reverse (docking for example, or coming up next to a downed skier) there is always one direction that potentially encourages the nut or a bolt to loosen.

                      Usually proper application of torque while tightening keeps everything in place.

                      I assume there is a torque value for that center bolt. If you use a torque wrench (cost of 25 to 150 dollars depending on quality) you can ensure you have the bolt tight enough.

                      On a Mercruiser setup we have a washer with tabs that we bend in order to provide extra protection.
                      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
                      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

                      Comment


                        #12
                        If you are using a short hub prop, you can use the locking tab washer.
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                        Comment


                          #13
                          There is also a long outer hub prop (large blades but standard length inner hub) that allows for use of the locking tab washer.
                          The outer hub will have slots in it for using a tool to bend the tabs against the notches in the FWD end of the spinner.


                          Perhaps this image will help.


                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Prop shaft lengths explained 3 .jpg
Views:	55
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	521235

                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                          Comment


                          • Barcia24
                            Barcia24 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you. I will keep this in mind next time I buy a prop. I already ordered the long hub and only aft part of spinner. I am going to do the safety wire also as you recommended earlier in this post.
                        Working...
                        X