No Raw Water Going Through

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Raw Water Going Through

Have a view of the video. No clue. The boat has been sitting for 4 months. Went to start it today, it ran, but couldn't get the raw water to flow. Took the pump apart, and it looks excellent, just like when I replaced it 6 running hours prior. Is there a seal or gasket between the lower and the upper units, that if it was missing, wouldn't allow the impeller pump to suck up water? Moreover, if there was one and it was missing, is the air leak below the waterline, such that the impeller would work? Can't figure out how this works in the water, but not connected to the hose.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

When we fire up on the garden hose and water muffs, once the garden hose is supplying water, the muffs will typically leak water around the contact area.
    As the seawater pump begins to pull water in, we should see a change in the amount of water leaking around the muffs.
    In your video, I do not see a change in the amount of leaking water!

Things to consider:

is the impeller rotating (i.e., is it keyed to the shaft)?
    is it the correct impeller for the pump housing?
    is the lower gear unit's seawater path (to the upper unit) in good order?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
      Things to consider:

is the impeller rotating (i.e., is it keyed to the shaft)?
      Yes.

is it the correct impeller for the pump housing?
      Yes, brand new Sierra housing, impeller, the works.

is the lower gear unit's seawater path (to the upper unit) in good order?
      That's my question. When putting the lower back onto the upper when I rebuilt the raw water pump seat, I didn't see a gasket between the two units, so I figured it was just up to the fit, and that where they join is below the waterline. But even then, wouldn't the water level just from the hose bring it up to the pump?

We are taking it out in about 20 minutes to see if it will flush water through the heat exchanger. If it does, I'll be looking for a leak. If it doesn't, I'm back to square 1.

Thanks, Bounty.
      "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
      TDI tech diver
      Kevin

Comment

Just to clarify:
        your saying it pulls water & everything seems to work as it should with no overheat or signs of anything wrong while its running in the water?
        But when attempting to run on the muffs it does not seem to pull any water and the temp will climb above the normal operating range to the point you shut it down to avoid any possible overheat damage?
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

its drawing submerged and not on hose, got mondo water shooting out a weep hole on the drive?

You smear the housing with blue silly cone ?
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
            Just to clarify:
            your saying it pulls water & everything seems to work as it should with no overheat or signs of anything wrong while its running in the water?
            But when attempting to run on the muffs it does not seem to pull any water and the temp will climb above the normal operating range to the point you shut it down to avoid any possible overheat damage?
            Just got back. That is how I thought it was, yes. However, it overheated, even cooked a little of the new paint. Then the 750GPH bilge pump clicked on and stayed on, though the water coming out was likely half the pump capacity. Apparently, it's not drawing while in the water either.

What doesn't make sense is, the entire outdrive from just above the impeller was below the waterline. So, if there was an air leak, it would only have sucked water. Also, the impeller worked last time out, 4 months ago. If you recall, I did a major on the engine then, with new risers, exhaust manifolds, oil pan, had the engine removed, fully serviced the upper and lower, ....

On the muffs, nothing came through. When I opened the pump, it was full of water. Yet, while running the engine, the only water coming out was leaking out the muffs. No water escaping inside, out the bottom of the OD, nor out the bilge drain. It's like there is a massive blockage somewhere. But where? I've been all over the diagrams, and can't see anywhere where that could happen.

.....Just when I'm prepping to sell it.
            TDI tech diver
            Kevin

Comment

Others with the cobra drive will need to chime in as I’m not familiar with OMC stuff. There definitely lots of water getting into the bilge area so I’d start investigating there.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

Same as a merc, y pipe etc.

Thru hull is clogged maybe, see the hose that enters from the transom follow it to its first stop could be the power steering cooler, port side under the mani maybe remove hose back wash that hose with garden hose you might have to shunt the hoses together, do this with the drive off.

Have someone watch what comes out.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
                  Same as a merc, y pipe etc.

Thru hull is clogged maybe, see the hose that enters from the transom follow it to its first stop could be the power steering cooler, port side under the mani maybe remove hose back wash that hose with garden hose you might have to shunt the hoses together, do this with the drive off.

Have someone watch what comes out.
                  The cooler is okay. Not sure about the seal where the raw water enters through the OD. I did repair it, but it may not have fixed the corrosion issue. Maybe my patch broke away. Guess I need to remove the OD and see what's up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_11192.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	520824

Name:	image_11106.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	520826

Name:	Cobra Adapter In.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	520828

Thanks.
                  Attached Files
                  TDI tech diver
                  Kevin

Comment

My thoughts/comments via post #7:
                    I’m not familiar with the impeller set up in the upper unit on OMC but with the amount of water you had in the bilge I’d guess the impeller could be doing its job and a hose has possibly let go in the engine bay or similar.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    Misc. projects thread

Comment

Looks like I'm in over my head ...again. Since Chuck of Olympic Marine closed his doors last January, anyone know of an OMC mechanic anywhere near the WA Olympic Peninsula?
                      TDI tech diver
                      Kevin

Comment

Take the hose off the cooler or the stat housing backwash the drive see what comes out. It's free .

No one wants to work on Cobras, they don't know them as some old farts on this site like me.

Dont want to listen so be it, getting grumpier as the years tick by.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
                          Take the hose off the cooler or the stat housing backwash the drive see what comes out. It's free .

No one wants to work on Cobras, they don't know them as some old farts on this site like me.

Dont want to listen so be it, getting grumpier as the years tick by.
                          Did that. Even took the lower off to see if there was something plugging it. Everything is as it should be. Only thing that makes sense is the pump isn't creating a vacuum. I just ordered a complete pump; housing, impeller, seals, cup, backing plate and gaskets.
                          TDI tech diver
                          Kevin

Comment

Get the blue silly cone, seal the outside of the housing, the split, the bolt holes, make sure get the tube inserted.

Damn I just read my last post, really am getting to be a grumpy old man

Post back !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                            X