2855 Shower Sump running constantly-gctid418178

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2855 Shower Sump running constantly-gctid418178

2000 Bayliner 2855. had it for about 6 weeks now. We've never, nor ever will, use the shower. I just don't see the advantage when we have a shower area at the dock.

So ... this weekend, wifey and I are enjoying a quiet weekend with no kids, no dog. Lake was a little rough (20k wind coming from the north), and we took the boat out for a tour of the lake, wondering if the leaves have turned.

Anyway, we stop, and I hear something still running. Finally trace it to the shower sump pump is running constantly.

So, I check all the wires (Determined that my forward bilge pump wasn't connected, always wondered why there was a bit of water in there anyway). So anyway, get that fixed and check all of the connections, still running.

So, we had back to the dock, we get back, and it's not running anymore? Cool, go to dinner.

Come back after dinner, wife is inside reading, and I'm on deck, reading. I hear her use the head, and then the sump comes back on, and stays on.

So I took the cover off, and took the pump out, and it would run/stop/run. I cleaned it all out (Although there was no debris in the filter, the box, or the pump at all). Put the pump back in, and it's off.

Ten minutes later, suddenly it turns on again. It was getting late, and I was tired of messing with it, so I just disconnected the pump.

My thoughts are I have a bad connection somewhere, however as I have said, we will not be using the shower at all. So ... do I:

1. Hook in an inline switch to manually turn it off and on?

2. All of the connections look good, I see no faulty wiring in there, do I trace them down?

3. Keep it disconnected?

4. Faulty pump?

Kind of at a loss.

I am currently replacing the diaphram sump pump that originally came with my 1992 Bayliner 2655. The electric motor runs but the internals are bad. The pump already has a switch located in the shower (as yours should have as well) so not sure why you want to add another inline switch. Sounds like that switch is bad. Just troubleshoot with a multimeter to check continuity at various points. This will help to isolate the problem.

Comment

I couldn't find a switch anywhere, that's why I ended up having to disconnect it and am thinking about adding a switch. It seems like a good idea.

Comment

OK, stupid question, but was there any water in there when you cleaned it out? If you never use the shower, and there was water in the sump, I'd wonder where it's coming form.

But I assume you mean it's just coming on by itself with no water to pump. Typically the manufacturers use a float switch in the sump, because that's the cheapest. Float switches generally fail "on" or "off"; either something is holding it up, or down. If the float is visible, make sure it's going down all the way. If it's in an enclosure, there should be a lever or dial to manually move it up and down. Again, make sure it moves the whole range. Maybe something is holding it up just enough to be near the spot where it turns on.

If you have a no-float type switch, there are two types. For a while they sold pumps that would come on for a second or two every so often, and any water resistance meant it stayed on until that was gone. Nobody liked those, and if that's what you've got, replace it. The newer ones sense the water right through the case. There are two circles you can put your fingers on to simulate high water, and it should come on. I don't know the failure mode on those, except they're touchy about being perfectly level.

The simple solution is to just replace the pump with a new one that you know works. I know you never use it, but having one more pump is never a bad thing. And it might even help if there's ever a leak in the plumbing in the head.

Besides, you might find someday you want to spend the night away from a dock with showers.

Comment

On my 2855 there is a rocker switch on the wall that turns the pump on/off. Are you sure your wife didn't turn it on by accident, thinking it might be a light switch?

Rob

Comment

Nope, no switch. While this was going on I was looking at the manual and doing a search for a switch, and I saw nothing. Only switch I saw was on top of the light that turns the light on and off. I doubt that they would make it 'that' difficult to find if there was one.

Comment

I had the same problem with my '05 288....turned out it was a bad float switch in the sump box. replaced it, problem solved.
              Ted
              2005 288 Command Bridge
              350 Mag MPI / BRAVO III

Every Day Is Saturday

Comment

IndyCJ wrote:
                Nope, no switch. While this was going on I was looking at the manual and doing a search for a switch, and I saw nothing. Only switch I saw was on top of the light that turns the light on and off. I doubt that they would make it 'that' difficult to find if there was one.
                Float switches in the bilge areas are one thing, they are accessible, but a float switch IN the shower sump? That seems like a poor design. You may want to change that after all, if possible.

Comment

92CieraSB wrote:
                  Float switches in the bilge areas are one thing, they are accessible, but a float switch IN the shower sump? That seems like a poor design. You may want to change that after all, if possible.
                  Here is the switch mounted in my shower behind the toilet paper roller.

Comment

92CieraSB wrote:
                    Here is the switch mounted in my shower behind the toilet paper roller.
                    Hope it doesn't fall off.:kidding

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                      Hope it doesn't fall off.:kidding
                      Yes. I should have said it is "just like" the switch mounted on my shower.......

Comment

My 2003 285 has a float switch in the sump box located under the stairs. Very easy fix, access to the sump box is not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                        X