Gelcoat or painted with awlgrip-gctid417672

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gelcoat or painted with awlgrip-gctid417672

I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri 2150. Just wondering if the hull was painted with awlgrip or gealcoat? The rear of the boat is peeling...looks like the clearcoat is coming off. I didn't know if boats had a clearcoat.

I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri 2150. On the back on the boat its peeling like the clearcoat is coming off. Is that a clearcoat, gelcoat, or awlgrip? Thx

Comment

Gelcoat usually doesn't peel. It cracks and chips. If it is peeling, it is most likely paint; and if it is clear, you may be a victim of some really bad attempt to give the boat a shine. We had a member mention he bought a boat sight unseen and realized the entire hull (above the waterline) was coated with polyurethane in an attempt to give the boat a shiny appearance. I hope you are not finding yourself in a similar situation. Do you have any pics of the area you can post?

Comment

I can post some pic this afternoon. Thx for the info

Comment

Painting a hull, IMO, should be an absolute last ditch effort after exhausting gel coat restoration attempts.

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

They'll often shoot clear gelcoat into the mold before the first color coat, but that usually only on high end boats. There are a number of clear coat systems you can buy to bring the shine back on a more vintage model. You're probably looking at something like that on yours that is starting to let go.
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Probably VertGlas or Polyglow. It was on a boat I had, looks just like skin flaking off after a sunburn. That stuff needs to be recoated every year or so.

Comment

If that is what it is what do I need to do, wet sand whats left the re aply the clear gelcoat. Then polish and wax and buff?

Comment

Wet sand-buff and polish and wax, forget the clear coat it will not be necessary.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                  X