i need to get it right-gctid417639

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need to get it right-gctid417639

I have read a dozen forums on battery charging- can anyone please tell me this.

I have 25 Ceira and my question is . as a oem install- will shore power charge my batts with the batty switch in off. How do I tell?

Need help in Dallas... Thanks

Attach the + and - cables from the charger dirctly to the battery you want to charge. Battery switch would be in off position. Just be sure you are not charging the batteries with the ignition "on", I was told this is no good for the system. If this is not the case feel free to enlighten me...
    David
    1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

yes, you should be charging with the battery switch off. To verify, your charger should have an amp guage on it. It will only read an amperage output if it is charging. Or you can put a volt meter on the batteries themselves. You should see a small voltage increase when the charger is on.

Comment

Your boat came from the factory with the charger connected to the battery and fused. You can leave them there or put them on the back of the MBSS. I would leave it on the battery. I have my chargers and bilge pumps connected to my batteries, nice neat and simple.

Either way with the battery switch off if connected properly you can charge the batteries with shore power. Oh and 3 wires on a battery is not a birds nest.

Testing can be done two ways take a voltage reading on your battery now turn the charger on and take a voltage reading again. Your charger will be putting out close to 14 volts. To find out if your charger is putting out any amps it requires a different test. Just because you have the voltage does not mean you have the amps. If you have the redi 8 that came with your boat you can use an amp meter that can take a 10 amp load. Turn the charger off and put the amp meter in series on the negative side of the charger. Turn the charger on and read the amps on the meter. You need to make sure the amp meter can take the load of the charger.

Ken
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

gdaine wrote:
          I have read a dozen forums on battery charging- can anyone please tell me this.

I have 25 Ceira and my question is . as a oem install- will shore power charge my batts with the batty switch in off.
          If the OEM installation was done correctly, yes.

Davidlyne wrote:
          Attach the + and - cables from the charger dirctly to the battery you want to charge.
          IMOO......, our charger leads should make their connection to the rear of the MBSS (terminals #1 and #2), rather than direct battery connections.

By taking the charge leads to the MBSS, this keeps the battery Rat's Nest to a mininum, makes the install permanent, and also avoids small terminal corrosion that we'll see at battery connections.

This connection is schematically identical, but poses fewer issues down the road.

This also makes battery R&R more simple and goof proof, in that you'll be less likely to inadvertently omit connecting a lead back up.... or worse yet, installing a lead incorrectly.

Do this once..... and you'll not have to mess with it again.

Take the Negatives to the system negative commone.... I.E., the engine block or equivilant Negative terminal block.

dpoelstra wrote:
          yes, you should be charging with the battery switch off.

Or you can put a volt meter on the batteries themselves. You should see a small voltage increase when the charger is on.
          Bingo!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
          X