Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2958 Command Bridge - Speed issue?-gctid417088

Hello

I got my 2958 not long ago, the twins had been replaced with a single Mercruiser 7.3 D270 Diesel with a Bravo Three outdrive, unknown gear ratio.

Top speed with two people on board and a clean hull is only 23 knots, isn't that a bit slow?

The engine has 270 HP, I can't find the torque at the moment, but it's a powerful engine.

The propeller is a twin Mercury Marine SS 14.25" x 24P 3 blade.

What speeds are you getting?

Anybody?

Comment

So your boat came with twin engines and someone replaced it with a single? And you are looking for someone with a similar setup? I doubt there is...

That is probably a reasonable top speed for such a big boat with a single engine, especially a diesel.

Comment

How many RPMs at that speed?

Comment

trophyboat wrote:
          So your boat came with twin engines and someone replaced it with a single? And you are looking for someone with a similar setup? I doubt there is...

That is probably a reasonable top speed for such a big boat with a single engine, especially a diesel.
          Not neccessarily a similar setup, but comparable total torque. I found the torque of my engine, it's 540 lb-ft, wich is not far from the combined torque of the original gas engines, so I think it would be comparable.

ishiboo wrote:
          How many RPMs at that speed?
          3400 rpm.

Comment

Asbj├©rn wrote:
            Hello

I got my 2958 not long ago, the twins had been replaced with a single Mercruiser 7.3 D270 Diesel with a Bravo Three outdrive, unknown gear ratio.

Top speed with two people on board and a clean hull is only 23 knots, isn't that a bit slow?

The engine has 270 HP, I can't find the torque at the moment, but it's a powerful engine.

The propeller is a twin Mercury Marine SS 14.25" x 24P 3 blade.

What speeds are you getting?
            You have gone from 500+ hp to 270 what do you expect.

Torque will get you out of the hole but you need HP to get speed.

The conversion was done for economy not speed.

Comment

This boat was offered with a single engine, and it had 330 hp.

I'd say whoever swapped the boat made a mistake in replacing the twins with a single.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
              X