loud goes boom then smoke-gctid416360

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loud goes boom then smoke-gctid416360

me and the admiral were out on the 87 ciera sunbridge yesterday when we were having difficulty getting over 10 kts. then the rpms go up and i hear a boom and there is smoke pouring out of the engine compartment. we don life jackets and i get on the radio and call uscg who directs me to rescue marine. i spray the engine bay with a fire extinguisher just in case but realize there is no fire, the smoldering i thought i heard was just from water comming in through the hot manifold. not sinking rescue marine comes and tows us back and we hoist her. secure the boat and left after that. i noticed the exhaust manifold had a hole in it. my thoughts were that i managed to get either some seaweed or mud in the cooling intake and overheated here. thats what the guy at the marina also suggested after we got in and 2 other boats were towed in after us from the same harbor. the water level in lake erie has been very low lately and seaweed is everywhere. i have an 87 ciera with a 5.7 omc cobra. does anyone have any sugestions as to what happened?

If you have insurance, contact them. If you sucked up seaweed and it caused damage, it should be an insurable event.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I was out on Lake Erie yesterday afternoon/evening near Lorain Ohio and overheard channel 16 distress call around 6pm about smoke coming out of the engine. Was that you?

The coast guard asked captain if he had fire extinguisher and how many people were on board, the boater responded my wife and myself. Then CG directed captain to Chanel 68 alpha for a tow boat assist. I could not hear the boat in distress well, however the CG was coming through clear.

The water level in Lake Erie is about 1ft below chart datum which is about normal for this time of year, perhaps your marina needs to dredge the Chanel more. Having said that, I was in Put-in-Bay last month and tied off the mooring buoy as usual. The entire bay was covered in weeds, almost like a kelp forest out there. I think we had an unusually warm summer that contributed to abundant growth of aquatic plants.

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
        I was out on Lake Erie yesterday afternoon/evening near Lorain Ohio and overheard channel 16 distress call around 6pm about smoke coming out of the engine. Was that you?

The coast guard asked captain if he had fire extinguisher and how many people were on board, the boater responded my wife and myself. Then CG directed captain to Chanel 68 alpha for a tow boat assist. I could not hear the boat in distress well, however the CG was coming through clear.

The water level in Lake Erie is about 1ft below chart datum which is about normal for this time of year, perhaps your marina needs to dredge the Chanel more. Having said that, I was in Put-in-Bay last month and tied off the mooring buoy as usual. The entire bay was covered in weeds, almost like a kelp forest out there. I think we had an unusually warm summer that contributed to abundant growth of aquatic plants.
        I just looked at Great Lakes water levels yesterday and thought I saw Erie was about 17" above datum. I think you might be referencing all-time averages. It would be about a foot below the average, but well above datum.

Lake Huron/GBay and lake Michigan are below datum, which is becoming all too common for lakes with such serious navigational hazards.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
          I just looked at Great Lakes water levels yesterday and thought I saw Erie was about 17" above datum. I think you might be referencing all-time averages. It would be about a foot below the average, but well above datum.

Lake Huron/GBay and lake Michigan are below datum, which is becoming all too common for lakes with such serious navigational hazards.
          My observation is based on a water level scale installed on the Lorain lighthouse that I pass every time when going out to the lake. The concrete piling has markings in 1ft increments to indicate water levels. I assumed the 0 mark is the WGS 1984 chart datum but can be wrong. The local wind conditions can affect water level, so the info I have is purely my observation based on that scale. Looking at the actual NOAA data we are indeed 17" above at the moment http://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/gli...+Cleveland,+OH

Comment

When you say you had difficulty getting over 10 kts, rpms goes up, then boom and smoke, hard to say but I think you may have lost the engine coupler, esp if it smelled like burning rubber. As far as overheating, yes you could have also sucked up seaweed or other crud in the cooling intakes. What was your engine temp when this happened? "Water coming in through the hot manifold" ....did you burn through the rubber exhaust hose from the riser to the Y pipe?

The Cobra drive has an internal plastic screen for the water intakes, it is a hold over from the outboard gearcases that the Cobra was based on. They work fine on an OB, but on a sterndrive that is kept in the water you can get stuff growing in there and it will cause an overheat. I had to break out the plastic screen on mine because I had barnacles growing on the inside of the screen. I made a tool out of thick stiff wire to rod out the water intakes, I just tilt the drive up and hang off the swim platform and about once a month I rod em out. Wed don't have seaweed or eel grass so I don't need a screen there. Merc and Volvo drives do not have water intake screens, but they have more holes that are smaller (Cobra has 4 large holes, Merc 6 or 8). Even the new style Volvos do not have a screen. However many OBs have a screen that can be removed for cleaning.

I actually am working on a way to make an external screen, that is removable like on OBs, because in some areas (like South Shore of LI) there is more risk of eelgrass and seaweed, not in my immediate area but if I went elsewhere it might be a concern.

I'd take a good look at the water intakes, and see if the screen is clogged with growth or other debris. Also you need to look at the raw water impeller in the upper unit, may as well replace the whole thing.
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

yes that was my distress call.

there is a lot of growth in my harbor and also the boats are all sitting lower in the water as we have cement docks and can tell from a reference point. i do have full coverage so if its a seaweed issue it should be covered or else either im going to be taking my time and fixing it myself or parting it out somehow

Comment

looks like the damage is limited to my exhaust manifold. she fired right up this afternoon and shifted ok. my outdrive may have unrelated issues seems to slip out of gear but may have just been my confusion while dealing with the situation on the lake. in any case she is out of the water and im going to winterize her early. also big thanks to Rescue Marine, Boat US and the USCG. it seemed that the engine stopped running because of smoke ingestion. also when they towed it on the trailer to the place i planed to store it, the ride on the highway destroyed my bimini top so this will be fun.

Comment

88fourwinns wrote:
                  When you say you had difficulty getting over 10 kts, rpms goes up, then boom and smoke, hard to say but I think you may have lost the engine coupler, esp if it smelled like burning rubber.
                  how do i check that, do i have to remove the outdrive and is that very difficult, i am an auto mechanic by trade so i have just about every tool imaginable.

Comment

Working...
                  X