Norcold EV-351D Fridge on 2855

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norcold EV-351D Fridge on 2855

Having problems with my Norcold EV-351D Fridge that's fitted on my 1999 2855, does anyone have any experience with these? Cannot find an engineer that will come out to a boat, even in a marina. Usual problems with being in the UK and trying to contact a US company but that's in hand. Looks like I'm going to have to try to fix it myself if I can get the parts but filing that has anyone found a suitable dual voltage swap with a similar capacity and that fits in nicely? TIA

I had some issues with my Norcold refer and fixed it myself. I found that one of the plastic plug connectors in the control box on top had some corrosion build up and was not making a proper connection. After locating the faulty connection and dismantling the plugs to clean them it now works great again. Pull the refer and set it on a bench or saw horses and plug it in. Follow the power and find the point where it fails to show. With some luck you might save a boat buck for a replacement.

Mike
    2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
    2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
    2000 Ciera 2455 sold
    Redmond, Washington
    The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

It powers up on 240v or 12v and the motor kicks in but it doesn't chill and the motor never cuts off. Found a great troubleshooting guide and it says to test the evaporator thermister and condenser thermister with a meter for resistance. Both are showing nothing which indicates a fault and this would explain why the motor doesn't shut off. Unfortunately they were discontinued the year my boat was built so going to be hard to get parts. Also unsure if this would rectify the problem as concerned something else may have caused the fault. Could be throwing money at it for nothing but really don't want to lose it.

Comment

Around the PNW they are known as nevercold. Contact an outfit in Delta, BC Canada named Nova Cool. They run on straight 12v and my experience is there seems to be less drain on the batteries. No worries about switching between ac and dc and you can follow my example and repurpose the 220v line for an additional galley circuit.
        http://www.novakool.com/index.htm
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I was looking at them earlier in fact. They have a compare sheet to pretty much the same size as Norcold. Couldn't see prices but still have the same problem of importing to the UK.

Comment

I’ll bet the guys at NovaKool can help with shipping, customs and taxes. What about Amazon or some retailer like that.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Just had a bit of a result hopefully, urns out the guy opposite me used to repair fridges and ac units.Done a few tests and said the gas has gone and that it could be repaired for about £20 if he had the tools but someone had stolen them. Come to an agreement that if I brought the stuff and the tools he'd do it and could keep them. Got everything online for less than £50, just hope it works. Will update next week when it's done, fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by alondonboy View Post
                Just had a bit of a result hopefully, urns out the guy opposite me used to repair fridges and ac units.Done a few tests and said the gas has gone and that it could be repaired for about £20 if he had the tools but someone had stolen them. Come to an agreement that if I brought the stuff and the tools he'd do it and could keep them. Got everything online for less than £50, just hope it works. Will update next week when it's done, fingers crossed.
                Glad you worked it out. I have one as well and it's marginal at best. I have to defrost it a couple times a season to keep it functioning. I've done a lot of research for the day it finally dies. Seems like the key is to get one with a danfoss compressor. They are supposedly way more efficient and quieter than the old units we have.
                Doug
                Hanging Loose
                98 Carver 350 Mariner
                2013-
                KRUSTY KRAB
                2001 305
                5.7 BII
                2006-2013

Comment

Originally posted by alondonboy View Post
                  If you have a chance post what he did and how he did it. I've wondered how you could add refrigerant to these small units. Is there a seal that needs replacement also? How did the gas escape?

Mike
                  2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                  Redmond, Washington

Comment

If you look on the compressor it tells you what gas is inside, probably R134a. He said it's dead simple, you just buy a refill tin, a self tapping valve and the hoses to measure pressure. Apparently the gas can weep out over years and just get to a point when there's no longer enough. Links of what I bought are here for reference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-A-C-Re...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bullet-Pi...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.thompsonsltd.co.uk/produ...yABEgJUQvD_BwE

Comment

Thanks!!!!! That is making things clear now how to add new gas to the pinched off coolant tube.

Mike
                      2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                      Redmond, Washington

Comment

Have also been told that if you stand them upside down for 24 hours then right them they'll often work again for a while. Not bothered doing it with mine as packed it with ice and was using it as a cool box but would have tried if I'd known before throwing all the food out.

Comment

Working...
                        X