Do you keep a spare prop on your boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you keep a spare prop on your boat?

Do you carry a spare prop ? If so how do I know what my 2005 195 ,3.0 stock type prop to get on a buget

To me, a spare prop and prop wrench is an absolute necessity. You can find the size of the prop online at https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/...or/#!/step-one
    keep in mind that if it is just a spare, and if you can find a cheap used one that is close to the same size then it will make for a good emergency prop.
    Currently watching from shore while deciding what my next boat will be !

Comment

No, not when boating at home in San Diego. I do bring a spare prop and wrench when I go to the River, 'though. I don't keep it in the boat. I've never dinged one so badly that I couldn't limp back to the dock. The good thing about having a spare is that you don't lose a whole day or weekend if you damage the prop.
      1998 Capri 1950CL
      3 Liter MerCruiser
      Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
      2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

Funny. I do, but I'm not sure it'll even fit. It was in the boat
        when I bought it, so I keep it on the boat. Doesn't take up
        much room. Might help in a pinch.
        1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
        7.4 Mercruiser
        Still learning about other systems
        and specs.

Comment

In my 2012 185 3.0 I run with a 14.25 x 19” prop...Solas Amita 4 bale about $110
          Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
          1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

I do keep a spare on the boat and have actually had to change it while in the water....spun prop....%took about 10 mins and we were back on way. I keep my spare behind one of the bow seat backrests with and actual socket wrench not a prop wrench although it won’t float if I drop it, but seems to work for me. Also keep the spare hardware, spacer, washer, nut etc. and can’t forget the small piece of wood to place between the props so that it doesn’t spin while removing lock nut. I usually buy a spare or a new prop around the holidays as they will go on sale through Oberton’s or another online supplier. I can usually find them for about $80 at that time. Currently my inventory on props is pretty good..my spare is a brand new prop and I have 2 more brand new ones back at the house that I have purchased on sale over the last couple of years. I will usually get about 2 1/2 years out of a prop before it starts to have noticeable gouges taken off the blades...then I replace it and will keep as a spare next time I switch it out.
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

• MikeACY
              MikeACY commented
              Editing a comment
              No...since I only boat no more than 20 miles from home, and boat in Barnegat Bay in NJ where the water visibility is zero feet, even with the prop up as high as it goes. I'll call Boat US tow if a problem.

I have two "spare" props...they are 20x21x4 but will not work as I run 21x26's. So far I only use them for bow weight under the master bed. I can't stay underwater long enough to switch them anyway... If I had a serious enough problem, I would also call Boat US... If I were further away and couldn't replace mine, I would have the "spares" put on just to get me home...slow ride though...but what a hole shot...
            1988 3888
            Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp

Comment

you betcha we carry spares props

those damn mola molas are prop busters...and when 60NM offshore...it beats waiting for a tow boat to show up...and then the sloooooooooooooow tow in
              1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
              5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
              San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

on all my outboard or outdrive powered boats, a spare prop is as important all the other safety gear..... and most all the well seasoned boaters in this area feel the same way...

on all the inboard powered boats I have owned, NO.. some people do, but due to the trouble of changing a prop under the water, the boat would likely be towed in anyway if it couldnt limp-in on the damaged prop.....

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Keeping a "like" spare propeller on board is like have a correct size spare wheel/tire in your car/truck.
                  If you do not have one..... Ole Murphy says that you'll need it.
                  If you do have one....... you won't need it!

Make sure that the current propeller offers the correct WOT RPM for how you load and use the boat.
                  Make sure that the spare prop is identical.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

If you are happy with the preformance of the prop you have get the same size. The prop information should be stamped on your current prop.
                    2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                    Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                    1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

My 89, 2859 used to spin prop hubs quite regularly (OMC Cobra/Ford 460). I carried a spare prop, prop nut, thrust washer, etc, and got good at changing props in the water with the sterndrive up.

I fabricated a spare prop holder bracket that I attached to the transom in the engine compartment. It consisted of a couple of scrap pieces starboard screwed together, with a large stainless bolt installed from behind. The rear board had a countersink that was slightly smaller in diameter than the bolt head. The bolt head was pressed into the countersink and that kept it from turning. The bolt had a length of rubber hose over it to protect the prop splines. I used a hole saw to bore a hole on the outer board slightly larger than the diameter of the prop hub. This allowed most of the weight of the prop to be carried by the starboard and not the bolt. A large washer and nut on the bolt secured the prop in place.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

We keep a spare set of props on board our 3555. They don't do much good at home in the garage.
                        Bayliner 3555

Comment

Just as an FYI....I just received an email stating that Overton’s is having a 25% off sale on everything....good time to get that spare or next prop as a nice price...I might just grab another Solas..
                          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

Yes I have always kept an extra on board. I had to use it only once when I was leaving our channel with some guests. Ten minutes and we were back on our way. Glad I had it instead of ruining the day and having to get towed in.
                            Bill and Janice
                            Chatham, Ontario, Canada
                            1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

Working...
                            X