omc cobra not starting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

omc cobra not starting

Hello guys hoping you can help me with my problem i had a problem with it not starting turns out the starter had craked of so i replaced the starter with a brand new one changed all the spark plugs and i tried to start it up it started just fine and put it in neutral and ran for 1 minute or 2 and shut it off and was happy that it worked i then proceeded with other stuff on the boat then i wanted to start it again but now it wont start it cranks fine and sounds like it wants to start but only with the trottle on full power and me pumping it it sounds like its running but with me cranking the starter all the time so its actally the starter running the motor it just dies right away it has spark and it have just taken off both sides of the cabureator they are full off gas so im guessing its gets gas i am all out of ideas as to what the problems is so any input is appreciated i have read all the forums i could think of but still no luck and i am wondering why it started fine right after changing the starter mortor the gauges also showes 13 volts but i have to mention when cranking the volt gauges go to 0 but its still cranking fine please help

She’s likely flooded. Look down the throat of the carburetor, is there fuel dripping down?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• nwo2012
      nwo2012 commented
      Editing a comment
      hello so now i checked the gas filter and drained for gas and its defently getting gas i tried to start it again with full trotlle it start for a nano second but dies immediatly and can only get it to to this with full throttle im ready to just burn the damn thing to the ground could it because it dosent get enough spark or something

yes there is some fuel down there but why would it get flooded ? i drained both sides of the carbureator and will try to start her today and get back with results

Comment

If the carb is bad it will let either too much gas into the engine or drip when the engine is off, this is flooding and the plugs get wet with fuel and have trouble firing. When this happens you either need to let it sit for some time or open the throttle fully (don't pump it) and crank to clear the cylinders, the engine should start if this is the issue.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• nwo2012
        nwo2012 commented
        Editing a comment
        hello i tried that full throttle and it starts but only a nano second if not less the spark plugs are brand new but they are completly dry but the coil on the plugs are blackish after i changed the starter it started fine one time but not since its like not enough gas is getting in the engine i have checked all the the way to the carbureator theres gas all the way

could be a stuck float, not shutting off fuel flow
      also, I'd make sure that you are not getting water in the cyls, remove spark plugs, disable ignition and crank the engine over, see if water shoots out of the plug holes. If so you have water in the cyls and must repair the cause (rusted exhaust, bad elbow gasket, bad head gasket, cracked head/block are all possibilities).
      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

• nwo2012
        nwo2012 commented
        Editing a comment
        i did all that no water spark plugs are completely dry but blackish i looked at the floats they seem fine it also startet fine one time after i changed the starter motor but not since whats weird is the gauge shows 13 volt but when i turn the key to start it drops to 0

Not an OMC expert but could it be the ESA module? It's purpose is to stumble the ignition when shifting out of gear but I have heard these go bad and cause similar issues to what you are experiencing.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike, good thing to check. Damn shifty switches....

That is also possible, an easy test is to unplug the switches and see if it starts.
      I wound up replacing mine after about 25 years....and the module too...

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

• nwo2012
        nwo2012 commented
        Editing a comment
        but can i just unplug them just like that i know where they are it the ones on the gear cable right? there is also the switch at the gearbox but what if its in gear wouldnt that hurt the motor? i think almost everything on this boat is from 1989 so i guess it would wear out but its just so sudden i roars like a lion with full throttle but seems like it wont ignite

They are the switches on the shift cable bracket bolted to the engine or exhaust manifold depending on your engine configuration. Make sure your gear shift is in neutral there should be no problem starting it this way.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

• nwo2012
        nwo2012 commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you i will try it tomorrow if i can find where the cables from the switches go to :/ i will post results tomorrow

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        To clarify: unplug the switches at the switch itself to test.

• nwo2012
        nwo2012 commented
        Editing a comment
        i have now tried disabeling the switches still nothing i have ajusted floats in the carbureator and i have measured the coil readings are ok everything for it to start is present but still nothing

OK some questions, you have an OMC Cobra but you haven't told us what engine you have...or I missed it somewhere...
      1) what type of distributor do you have, points or electronic? Because if its points, it could be a bad set of points and condenser, or if electronic the module could have gone bad
      2) have you actually checked for spark at a spark plug?

if not get a spare spark plug, rig up a ground wire with large alligator clips. Then unplug one of your plug wires, hook up the spare plug to it and then connect the ground wire to the base of the plug and the other end to a good ground on the engine. Crank it over and see if you get a nice hot white spark. If not, you are not getting spark out of the distributor even if the coil is good. Remove the cap, check the cap and rotor, replace if its all corroded inside. Try again. If still no spark you may have to replace and properly adjust the points (and condenser). If electronic, it could be a bad module, but that all depends on which type you may have.

I have a Prestolite points distributor with mechanical advance on my '88 4.3 (original equipment) and I get approx. 5 years out of each set of points.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prestolite.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	501997
      Always check for spark, then check for fuel. You need spark, fuel and compression for the engine to run.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
      X