Hose Replacement-gctid415396

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hose Replacement-gctid415396

I want (need) to replace all engine hoses on both of my '85 305 Chevy (VP 280). Any good hose kits available?

While I am doing them I want to do them all.

Dan, I doubt that you'll find a kit. You will be able to purchase these individually.

Some will be Volvo Penta specific, some can be replaced with hose by the foot.

The OEM suction hoses from the transom shield to the sea water pump, seldom go bad. These are a $75 hose.

With exception to the lower Circ Pump hose, once past the sea water pump, these do not need to be collapse proof.

Your 95mm riser-to Y-pipe-hoses should NOT be purchased through Volvo Penta, Sierra or any other vender whereby these are pre-cut to length.

These are always too short. rod

Find a source for this soft wall 95mm hose, and purchase lengths that are 2" longer than the OEM.

(the reason can be found in the BOC Volvo Penta Vault thread)

Dan, are yours open or closed cooling systems?

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I am completely open sea water cooling. The big hose from the top to the pump burst and was pumping sea water into the bilge. Temp was rising and the engine shut down, keeping it from overheating, I hope. Time to replace them all I suppose. I cant find anything searching.

Comment

This is the big hose that goes from the T'Stat housing down to the engine Circ pump. Should I just get a generic hose that can be bent into shape?

Comment

dpoelstra wrote:
          This is the big hose that goes from the T'Stat housing down to the engine Circ pump. Should I just get a generic hose that can be bent into shape?
          Dan, you have not mentioned which AQ225's you have. I'll use a schematic from the AQ225D.

I believe that the top pre-formed bend prevents the large Circ Pump-to-T-stat-housing hose from being found in a generic automotive hose. You may have to bite the bullet and go through Volvo Penta or Seirra.

OEM P/N is 834906.

I would avoid using the corregated one-fits-all hose.

http://"http://www.marinepartseurope... can be found.

First Choice Marine $38

JMS shows this hose for $35.

e-Bay seller just sold one for $29

Dan, since we're having fun spending YOUR money, if you have not replaced the old OEM Jabsco crankshaft pumps, Go2Marine has the Johnson F5B-9 for $168 right now.

Sometimes these are offered for as low as $150 if you happen to catch them.

The Johnson F5B-9 is a direct replacement for the Jabsco.... unless for some reason the large volume Jabsco's were installed.

If so, this changes to F6B-9.

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Perfect. Thats exactly what I needed. The pumps have been replaced.

What would cause this hose to split open? I had bumped the bottom in the harbor, but was able to reverse out, churning up some mud in the process. Not a hard grounding, but am afraid I may have sucked in some mud. THe engine died right after. I got it started after a few minutes running on one engine, and when the temp began to rise, i checked and saw the hose split. No dirty water in the bilge though.

Thoughts?

Comment

dpoelstra wrote:

What would cause this hose to split open?
              Very likely Good 'ole Father Time, and high temps. rod

Edit:

Dan, since you pulled in silt/sand, you may want to remove all four side engine block drain plugs, probe the ports with a wire, and clear them.

Don't give this stuff a chance to become somewhat solid.
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I got the hose and manifolds replaced and everything is good...but... I have a small slow drip coming from the sea water pump. The pump was replaced with a Johnson by the PO so i dont know how old it is. I replaced the pump on the other engine. This drip seems to be new. I will recheck all the hose connections, but I think it is coming from the pump itself. If this is the case, does the pump need to be replaced? The impeller wont cause a leak will it? Are they servicable? The pump is pumping good volume.

Comment

Inside of the pump body will be one of two thrust surfaces. The other thrust surface is the front cover.

The impeller must be able to seal against these two thrust surfaces.

If a surface is grooved or gouged, the impeller may not seal.
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

thanks! I will take it apart and check it out. It could be just the impeller then, correct?

Comment

Dan, we never know what a PO may have done.

I see that it is a Jabsco (six cover screws).

The OEM crankshaft pump would have been the small volume pump.

Both Jabsco and Johnson small volume pumps require the same impeller p/n..... typically the 1027.

Both the large and small volume pumps look similar, and both mount and connect up just the same.

Of the two large volume Jabsco and Johnson crankshaft pumps, each impeller also looks very similar to one another.

They each have the same number of vanes, use the same shaft configuration, and each is of the same diameter.

Your pump may have been replaced with a large volume pump.

The Jabsco large volume pump impeller measures 1.990" in depth.

The Johnson large volume pump impeller measures 1.900" in depth.

That's a difference of .090" in depth.

If you have a Johnson 1.900" impeller installed in a Jabsco 1.990" pump body, it will not work.

Parts counter people often get this wrong.

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                      X