• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quetz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    On a good note, the Y-pipe us refurbished and like new.

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Thanks again guys!!

So i finally dug in and yeah it looks like it once took a hit and the bottom of the inside plate ceacked and the exterior bell housing and seal came apart and were both compromised.

This is what i have as visible damage. My question now is, can i get away replacing the rectangular section that was reinforced to hold the assembly? I would put Coosa composite board. Since the damage is so low could the damage have made tge turn into the hull and if so should i replace some of it as well?

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    I agree with the guys it needs to be addressed now. High risk of leak causing sinking.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    From what I see, fix it now. There are several reasons. First, the engine is out; second, the strength of the transom is compromised; third, with the transom compromised operating the boat can cause damage to the coupler bearing/drive plate, a $250+ part, the gimbal bearing, a $100+ part plus a bunch of little parts. I fully understand the want to get out on the water. I missed my first weekend on the boat this weekend, primarily because I’m having trouble recovering from surgery coupled with overdoing trying to get it ready.
    I’d take the deep breath, explain to the Admiral what has to happen to get the boat ready to go, and go for it.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Quetz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!!! Its greatly appreciated.

do you think I could get away with replacing the assembly and redoing the transom in the winter? I want to get out in the water and enjoy the boat for a while.
    Unfortunately NO.
    Bolting up a replacement “assembly” to a transom that flexes will not result in any boating enjoyment, It’ll likely start leaking right away and you’ll risk damage to the newly installed components. There’s a tremendous amount of force being applied by the drive.
    IMO: you’ve already got her torn down, now is the time to repair all of it.

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback!!! Its greatly appreciated.

do you think I could get away with replacing the assembly and redoing the transom in the winter? I want to get out in the water and enjoy the boat for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Depending on your abilities and enjoyment of a challenge, you can do this yourself. That inner transom plate is beyond repair, the bolts will probably break or may back out of the outer plate. You might try soaking them with PB Blaster or similar. It’s about the same amount of work and not many more dollars to replace the whole thing and have it right than do just a part. Once the transom plates are off, and everything else, like wires, is disconnected, use an oscillating tool to cut around the edges. Then you can probably stick a bmf screwdriver into the wood at the top and rip almost all of it out. Grind and chisel out the remainder and you are about ready to start reassembly. There’s lots of YouTube about how to do all of this. Iiwm, I’d power wash and scrub the bilge so the whole compartment looks new. When you’re done you will know exactly what you have and you can have a get boat for a long time if you do it right.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    You’ll need to remove the inner fiberglass skin and remove the entire wood core. The core is made up of several layers of marine grade plywood (doesn’t have voids like standard plywood).

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Drilling results

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Pics from today

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    so I went by the boat today and drilled the recommended holes, bad news. Help me analyze the situation oh, but I am pretty certain you guys were quite correct.
    I have included new pictures. It is evident the assembly bottom is cracked. I am not sure if it rust or for whatever reason it's cracked. The assembly bottom bolts are very rusted. Hydros a few holes and get very moist mud like substance. You can see where I drilled holes all around the bottom of the Keyhole.

I see where there seems to be reinforcements to the transom in the area where the assembly goes. Am I looking at replacing just that section or the entire transom? Could I possibly get a metal plate and not have to cut out the in her skin?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X