Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quetz
    replied
    Ok, i will inspect and see. It was working 100% for over 9 years and has a new lower unit so perhaps i luck out on this instance. I spoke with the owner and seeing the damage i believe that a) the damage was a long time in building and b) he did no know about it. He has all maintensnce records and has an airplane so he was very meticulous about getting all the right maintenance done. My theory is that the previous owner hit something 10+ years ago cracking the bottom bolts through holes and the water intrusion started. Through the years water entered and permeated the core but since it was always stored in a boatel in never leaked enough to notice as the bilfe pump would get it out; hence, why the bilge pump burned out. Not having put it in the water more than once in the past 2 years some water evaporated from the core causing it to shrink and creating space, which then allowed more water in making the problem evident. That's what i am going with anyway

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    commented on 's reply
    Agree, once removed you'll need to inspect it to determine if it's ok to use.

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Quetz View Post
    OK guys thank you so much again. I will bump the Housing off and keep digging.

As an opinion given what you see, obviously the back plate is cracked and needs replacing, but would you think I should get an entire assembly or could I get away with just replacing the back plate?
    youll need to examine it carefully after its removed. Mine was pretty ugly with corrosion etc. but I was able to clean it up, install new parts and re install, it's been working as it should. Clean and test everything you can while your in the engine bay.

Leave a comment:

• Valhalla
    replied
    My biggest nightmare on a boat

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    OK guys thank you so much again. I will bump the Housing off and keep digging.

As an opinion given what you see, obviously the back plate is cracked and needs replacing, but would you think I should get an entire assembly or could I get away with just replacing the back plate?

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    You have removed the necessary bolts. It could be stuck from rusted studs through the rotted core or someone prior put some sealant in the area trying to keep the water out. You can run a thin putty knife around/ between the housing and the transom to cut any potential sealant free. Like Mike said then bump it loose with a dead blow or a block of wood and a non dead blow.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    No additional bolts. Try tapping the studs with a dead blow hammer lightly going around in a loop to see if it pops loose.

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Ooops, it just got real. So I cut a lip around the reinforce transom area and it looks like I gotta keep cutting. The top looks good But I think replacing the whole thing is probably the way to go. There goes my vacation.

I am still trying to figure out How to pull out the exterior housing. Are there more bolts on the outside? As you can see they entire plate is free

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Ok, good advice, thank you!!

On a separate note, i took the back plate off and the exterior bell housing does not want to come off. Is it just stuck by sealant or are there other fasteners aside from the 8 bolts taken off from the inside? I don't want to
    Force anything.

Also, the plate is obviously broken, do you suspect I should replace the entire assembly or just the rear plate.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Epoxy does not have the structural integrity needed to an I/O unless it’s reinforced with wood or a structural pvc. This is what you all ready have. Sail boats are much different

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    Cool, i will start the cutting and see how bad things look.
    Has anyone used epoxy as a core. A sailing friend suggested it.

Thanks again guys!!!

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Quetz View Post
    Thanks again guys!!

So i finally dug in and yeah it looks like it once took a hit and the bottom of the inside plate ceacked and the exterior bell housing and seal came apart and were both compromised.

This is what i have as visible damage. My question now is, can i get away replacing the rectangular section that was reinforced to hold the assembly? I would put Coosa composite board. Since the damage is so low could the damage have made tge turn into the hull and if so should i replace some of it as well?
    Coosa would definitely be an improvement over OEM for sure. I think replacing the center section only may be sufficient for a 22 footer but IMO once your in there removing and replacing rotten core material it would be best to replace all of it.

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quetz
    replied
    On a good note, the Y-pipe us refurbished and like new.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X