No announcement yet.

Coolant bubbles out of overflow.-gctid414872

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, since Miles is still involved here, it would be best to begin a new thread for your engine specific issue, rather than to Hi-Jack Miles't thread.

We can all start fresh and help you.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Just an update...

I removed the gear box and found the impeller parts in the inlet area where one hooks up the muffs. Also, as expected the $%&*(@'ing flapper was in the exhaust port.

The boat is with my wrench now. Hopefully no further damage. Despite the voices of experience here, which I hold in high regard by the way, these are pretty tough engines. It could be misplaced confidence/hope but I also ride Moto Guzzi motorcycles which for those that know... probably explains a lot about me and my confidence in engines. I also grew up on old-school drag racers. We used to do some pretty nasty things to engines from the 70's and early 80's and they stayed together pretty well. So, I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I realize, it could be a complete disaster... but for now... I'm planning on my guy working his magic and going out on the water Monday morning

I would do it myself, and this is a tip for others. If you have a good wrench that you trust, at least in my case, while I "could" do the work myself, I don't have access to the parts at wholesale prices and likely have to pay extra to get them the same day. If I need a tool... I have to go buy it. So for me... knowing it's going to be done right, by a guy who has seen the insides of 100's of this same engine, it's worth it to pay him and get back in the water ASAP.

I'll keep'ya posted. On the bright side... it was kinda fun riding around the marina on the HondaFour 15 hp kicker. Any day on a boat on the water is a good day
      Aquatic Muse
      Mount Vernon, WA
      MMSI: 367498870
      '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Comment

UPDATE

Boat is ready to pick up Woo Hoo

Apparently it just needed a new impeller/pump in the lower unit and no other damage was done. WHEW !!!!!! I pick it up tonight, although I won't be able to get it into the water until Monday

Miles
        Aquatic Muse
        Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Mileskb wrote:

Apparently it just needed a new impeller/pump in the lower unit and no other damage was done.
          Question: Did he pull the exhaust riser and inspect the rubber coupler and look at the flapper, etc?

I'd be quite surprised if you escaped coupler and flapper damage, given the amont of run time and high heat while the pump was not working.

Look at your invoice.

If he did, it should list the manifold-to-riser gasket, and related labor.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yeah the Flapper was toast but the boot (between the elbow and down tube) was all ok.

He believes I wasn't running totally dry for very long. It looks like there was "some" water coming through until the parts of the impeller blocked the inlet. I was lucky.
            Aquatic Muse
            Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Hurrumph... Well it's not quite over...

Engine runs great, in fact better than ever. I don't ever remember it staying below 135 degrees temp when cruising. 3200 rpm and moving at about 27 mph.

But......... there is a coolant leak somewhere as I'm ending up with coolant in the bilge. My mechanic is going to go out on the water with me tomorrow to try and find it.

As best as I can tell by looking for it today is it's not the weep hole, it's not any of the hoses around the front or around the overflow bottle. The overflow bottle is working as it should now too. The only place I couldn't really see was maybe one of the coolant hoses on elbow, but it's not leaving any traces that I can feel or see. Of course it's a bit warm back there to be reaching around while bouncing around, so I think I'll let the pro play back there.

But, as I mentioned, it's running better than ever which is a little surprising actually as nothing tuneup wise was done... but I'm not complaining. Two days out and it operated pretty much flawlessly.... except for that leak... but we'll find it.
              Aquatic Muse
              Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                Joe, since Miles is still involved here, it would be best to begin a new thread for your engine specific issue, rather than to Hi-Jack Miles't thread.

We can all start fresh and help you.
                my apologies; I thought it was a general troubleshooting question. You've probably junxed me. I currently dont have an overheating issue.

Comment

Working...
                X