Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is an 0-ring an O-ring is an O-ring (within a Volvo 280 outdrive)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is an 0-ring an O-ring is an O-ring (within a Volvo 280 outdrive)?

I'm replacing some O-rings in my Volvo AQ280 outdrive as I'm replacing exhaust and u-joint bellows. If I happen to have some O-rings from a typical set bought from a hardware store that measure exactly what I'm replacing, would there be any issue in using them? Mainly, I'm speaking of the dipstick and the oil drain plug at the bottom, although I'll be replacing the O-ring at the top of the oil tube between upper (transmission) and intermediate housing as well as the large one between the two as well.
    1980 2550 Saratoga Offshore
    Volvo Penta AQ260 (350 chevy) 280 outdrive

There are O-rings that are tolerant of petroleum. You don't want your outdrive to get preggers, so rubber is not just rubber when it comes to oils.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

The common o-ring is Buna which is probably what you have and is what is normally used all around. The other most common is viton however these are easily distinguished by their brown color. Both have no problems with petroleum products.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

In my 24 or 25 years working on the AQ series drives, I have found only a few hardwear store O-rings that will replace the OEM Volvo Penta.
        Its not just being petroleum product friendly........, it also has to do with the hardness and the precise thickness of the O-ring.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I hate paying a brand name premium, but unless you can find another oring with matching specifications, size and material, I’d pony up the bucks. That said, I’m good with brands like Sierra.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Pete, I agree!
            I’ve had good luck with the Siera brand O-rings!

Originally posted by btubb View Post
            I'm replacing some O-rings in my Volvo AQ280 outdrive as I'm replacing exhaust and u-joint bellows. If I happen to have some O-rings from a typical set bought from a hardware store that measure exactly what I'm replacing, would there be any issue in using them? Mainly, I'm speaking of the dipstick and the oil drain plug at the bottom, although I'll be replacing the O-ring at the top of the oil tube between upper (transmission) and intermediate housing ..................... as well as the large one between the two.
            The dip stick, drain plug and oil drain back tube O-rings just happen to be among the hardware store O-rings that I have found to work!

The O-ring that seals around the lower driven gear bearing is not one that I have found.
            I have always used OEM or Siera for these.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
            X