testing batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testing batteries

Ok batteries are probably my weak point, I follow all the threads on here and get lost quickly. so keep that in mind when replying :-)

I am having issues with my starting batteries for the MAN610's. I have 2 8D batteries for both sides. Recently I have been struggling to start and using the crossover I get her started and then after running they charge a little better and I can normally get away with both starting on their own batteries.
    I have 2 chargers which I believe are the originals and I don't think they are very smart. I do think there has been overcharging and plan to get a marine electrician to take a look at my set up. there have been periods where water has run low in them but ironically starboard side and my starting issues have been on port side.
    Anyway I plan to address the charging to make sure it's set up right but reality is they are not holding a charge very well if left for a while and I know they need replacing.

So 2 questions.

1. What process and tester should I buy and use to test each battery and see which ones really need to be replaced before I shell out for 4 expensive batteries that I may not need.

2. what's the best bank for the buck for replacing basic 8D batteries and where from?

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

I like a hydrometer that measures the specific gravity of the acid then reads that in volts. If the battery plates have been exposed due to boil off, then you should be concerned as to the battery condition.
    Best bang for the buck is still a lead acid, IMO. Big, heavy, lots of lead, commercial truck batteries for starting. You can probably get Interstates from Costco.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I would suspect a bad battery,If you use a 12v tester you'll need to disconnect the battery leads on each battery tested. With the hydrometer you check each cell.again I would disconnect battery lead and turn off charger for all tests. As Pete suggested a Hydrometer w/specific gravity ( tester this has a glass float inside).
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Anybreason why these are not a good replacement. Seems like a good price.

Save More on Your Dyno Batteries #8DC 12V Group 8D Heavy Duty Marine Starting Battery - 1250 CCA, 495 Min. Reserve Cap., Start 255AH, 495 min. Res Cap at Fisheries Supply. Excellent Customer Service, Ready to Ship. Marine Supplies Since 1928!

Comment

The Boating and Trucking industry have been using 8Ds forever cranking their diesel motors nothing wrong I can see in your choice. Make sure to get help in R/R them.
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Not a thing wrong with Dyno. I have six of their golf cart batteries on Glauben.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I got my 8D's at NAPA Auto Parts. 1720CCA at 32F 430 minute reserve capacity $200 Along with the hydrometer mentioned earlier you can purchase a battery load tester that will show how much energy is still left in the battery. They are not expensive.
              Gibraltar, Mi.
              1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
              34' Tollycraft- sold
              88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
              14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Thanks folks. Will take a look at Nappa as a comparison price too

Comment

I recently replaced the starting batteries on our 5788. Prior to this, I tested them using a Microvat tester owned by an auto dealer friend which tells you state of charge and cold cranking amps in each battery.

I have never understood the penchant people have for 8D batteries, not only do they use up lots if real estate on board, but they are really heavy, and a nightmare to Re and Re for anyone with normal human characteristics - in my opinion they are total overkill.

For my MAN 610’s, I used Caterpillar Group 31 maintenance free batteries - 2 per engine. These batteries are great quality, rated at 950 CCA and are specially designed for rugged conditions. I have used this size and make of battery on each of our last four boats, although I only needed one battery per engine for the Cummins engines.
                  Rob
                  Bayliner 5788
                  'Merlin V'
                  Vancouver BC

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
                    I recently replaced the starting batteries on our 5788. Prior to this, I tested them using a Microvat tester owned by an auto dealer friend which tells you state of charge and cold cranking amps in each battery.

I have never understood the penchant people have for 8D batteries, not only do they use up lots if real estate on board, but they are really heavy, and a nightmare to Re and Re for anyone with normal human characteristics - in my opinion they are total overkill.

For my MAN 610’s, I used Caterpillar Group 31 maintenance free batteries - 2 per engine. These batteries are great quality, rated at 950 CCA and are specially designed for rugged conditions. I have used this size and make of battery on each of our last four boats, although I only needed one battery per engine for the Cummins engines.

+1

I replaced the two 8D starting batteries on my 3788 with a pair of Odyssey group 31 AGM batteries.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
                      +1
                      I replaced the two 8D starting batteries on my 3788 with a pair of Odyssey group 31 AGM batteries.
                      Interesting take.... and I tend to agree!

A few things to consider with Diesel engine -vs- gasoline engine cranking batteries:

.... the Diesel engine starter motor itself will draw more AMPs during cranking.
                      .... the Diesel engine pre-heat circuit will also draw heavy AMPs just prior to cranking.

With gas engines, the AH consumption during cranking is very easy to calculate.
                      Starter motor AMP draw Xs starter motor operation/duration.
                      Examples:
                      200 AMPs for 4 seconds = approximately 2 AH
                      200 AMPs for 6 seconds = approximately 4 AH (actually a bit less)

With Diesels..... we can do the same math.

Find the Pre-Heat circuit draw in AMPs, and multiply that Xs the duration of Pre-Heat use.
                      There is your AH consumption for the Pre-Heat function.

Do the same for the starter motor AMP draw and convert that into AH.

Add that to the Pre-Heat AH draw, and there ya have it!

Size the cranking battery bank accordingly!

Also, keep in mind that a wet cell battery voltage test must be done after the battery has been at rest (following a full charge) for at least 8 hours.

The actual resting voltage, or the voltage a battery will settle at 12-24 hours after being removed from the charger, is closer to 2.1 volts per cell, or about 6.4 volts for a 6v battery, and 12.6 volts for a 12v battery.
                      This is called the “open cell” or “resting” voltage of the battery.
                      Resting fully charged 12 volt batteries are around 12.8-12.9 volts, and flat dead ones are at 12.0 volts, so 12.4 volts on a resting battery means it's about 50% charged..

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post

[COLOR=#0000FF]....With Diesels..... we can do the same math.

There's no need to do the math with Cummins engines. The manufacturer specifies the battery capacity needed and this includes the pre-heat circuit. Moreover, Cummins specifies the capacity at cold soak temperatures that most of our boats will never see.

For example, the Odyssey Group 31 batteries that I'm using have a CCA of 1150 and a reserve capacity of 205 minutes. This falls within the Cummins requirements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins Battery Requirements.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	491516
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Rob. Do you have a link and price for the batteries you used ?

Comment

If I read the original post correctly there is a charger to each of the starting bank batteries? That really should not be necessary for starting batteries. If the starting batteries need to be charged up prior to each use those batteries likely need replacing. Leaving the crossover on while charging the house batteries can cook the starting battery bank unless the house and start have the exact same AH capacity. The PO of Mr. Darcy put two new grp 31 FLA batteries in and hooked them up to the same charger that charged the two L16 house batteries. It ruined the new grp 31s in short order. Maybe I read it wrong? just woke up.

Greg
                            Newport, Oregon
                            South Beach Marina
                            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

I think the inverter charges my house bank. Have to admit bit confused on the charging system.

Comment

Working...
                              X