No announcement yet.

Aluminum exhaust after 4 salt water seasons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx for the feedback and review of those aluminum manifolds. I may be getting close to replacement on my Merc castys so this is very timely. Always like the idea of the aluminum for it's weight savings but feared reduced service life. The ceramic coated may just be the way to go.

Thanx again, Kirk
    Sea Venture
    2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
    Cruising the PNW and beyond.
    DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
    MMSI 316029971

Kirk
    Drinks well with others.

Comment

Sorry builderdude, I misunderstood...... It's actually the flashback from the ceramic coating which still looks like new.....BTW each assembly saves about 60lbs in weight so they're a lot easier to change out.

Comment

Originally posted by bristolboy View Post
        Sorry builderdude, I misunderstood...... It's actually the flashback from the ceramic coating which still looks like new.....BTW each assembly saves about 60lbs in weight so they're a lot easier to change out.
        Ok, thanks for clarifying. The weight savings is always a priority IMO, unfortunately I’ll be running a new set of cast iron for a while
        Didn't see a spacer offered by HGE, did I miss it?
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

This is IMO , I see you boat in Valdez. the salt % is not real heavy because of all the freshwater run off, if you boated here in Florida pretty sure your alum stuff would suffer more. I boat in both places, (Seldovia/Tampa Bay)
          1988 3270
          135 hinos
          Seldovia ALASKA
          KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
          KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
          Marine canvas/Upholstery
          since 1975

Comment

https://citimarinestore.com/citiguid...des-on-a-boat/

https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/ch...rificial-anode
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by ALASKAN_ADVENTURER View Post
              This is IMO , I see you boat in Valdez. the salt % is not real heavy because of all the freshwater run off, if you boated here in Florida pretty sure your alum stuff would suffer more. I boat in both places, (Seldovia/Tampa Bay)
              WE have other issues in the older harbor in Alaska, that is our neighbors with leaky 12 volt and AC current from some older boats, it will eat your (zincs)
              Some years ago I had that problem with the boat next to me, the rudder and shafts on one side died faster than the other side.
              My 3870 is bonded according to ABYC specs, as is all the wiring on my Bayliner, all that wire is new, every inch.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl you know this harbor pretty well. I've considered just throwing the end of my shore power cable into the water instead of paying for a hook up. I should be able to get enough current to charge my batteries and watch the TV.
                1990 2955
                2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

Comment

You guys got me interested in going with those ceramic coated HGE luminum exhaust manifold and riser kits for my 7.4L bigblock. I called perfprotech,com to order them and was advised that HGE, the manufacturer, is no longer supplying these. They are waiting for an update but if and when they do start making them again, it sounds like it could be a long time before they are available. They arrive at PPT uncoated and then PPT sends them out to be checked for flatness and then painted. Bummer..

Does anyone know an alternate source?
                  1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Mine are not ceramic coated but they are still doing great. I got them at ebasic power. https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/search_2...t%20mercruiser Scroll down the aluminum big block kit is at the bottom of the list.
                    1990 2955
                    2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

Comment

That link I posted didn't go to the correct page. This kit is for a 4 inch exhaust. https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/mer...-502-v8-4-inch
                      1990 2955
                      2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

Comment

thanks FBK, although I sure liked the idea of the ceramic coating. I also don't see where aluminum spacers are available. Do you boat in salt water?
                        1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

I like the idea of ceramic coating too, but it wasn't available when I bought my exhausts. I do boat in salt water, but as summer heats up, glacier meltwater tends to dilute the top few feet of sea water in my marina making it brackish with LOTS of stray voltage. Just to get an idea of what conditions in your area will do to aluminum, just look at your outdrives and exhaust down pipes, you can also look at unpainted aluminum boats that dock in your marina. My exhausts were painted inside and out, not sure if the big block exhaust is, but it's easy to pour a good 2 part aluminum zinc chromate primer into the water passages and tumble the parts around to coat them. Not trying to sell any certain brand, I've just found for myself that trying aluminum was one of the best boat experiments I've ever done, and I will not go back to cast iron.
                          1990 2955
                          2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

Comment

Working...
                          X