Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum exhaust after 4 salt water seasons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Aluminum exhaust after 4 salt water seasons

    A lot of people have asked about aluminum exhausts in the past, and I figured since I was working on mine today I'd post a few pics. These photos are of HGE aluminum exhaust manifolds and risers after 4 seasons in salt water service. Zincs are changed every year. When I was asking around for info and opinions on aluminum exhaust systems everyone told me they won't last, but nobody had actually tried them so I decided I'd give em a try. This boat operates in salt water but glacier runoff tends to dilute the top few feet in my marina which may have a lot to due with the lack of corrosion.
    1990 2955
    2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

    #2
    They look great, esp compared to cast iron. I always wondered about how long they would last, seeing as how outboards all have aluminum exhaust components and I/Os have alu Y pipes and exhaust ports in the transom mounts.
    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

    Long Island Sound Region

    Comment


      #3
      Those look fantastic...I would imagine same results in brackish waters as well. Certainly worth a consideration for anyone needing to replace. Overall costs as compared to cast is.....?
      Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks for posting the pics.
        I agree those components look amazingly clean for 4 years of use.
        Now the glacier run off thing: is that like a fresh water flushing every time you come in to moor up? Could definitely be why they’re in such good shape.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

        Comment


          #5
          The price for a complete manifold riser kit was a little over $700 so they did cost a bit more but I think they will outlast two sets of cast Iron. I ended up losing about 130 pounds buy switching to aluminum intake and exhausts (two engines).

          Builderdude that's exactly what I am getting at. I can still taste salt in the surface water but not nearly as strong as regular ocean water. So as I putt along in the marina making my way back to my slip the engine is getting flushed with cold brackish water. May and early June are still pretty much straight salt water due to lack of glacier melt.

          1990 2955
          2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

          Comment


            #6
            Honestly if they would really look like that here in the salt pond for sure I'd try a set, I see they are only available in Merc style manifolds but I bet I could adapt them to my OMC which now has the Volvo style center riser exhaust on it. I looked at the inside of the Y pipe, the alu exhaust pipes that connect the elbow outlets to the rubber hoses, and lower exhaust housing, all are aluminum and none of them has had anywhere near the amount of corrosion you see with cast iron manifolds even after 4-5 years. Here is a comparison with my last set of batwings (OMC's one piece unit for the V6 engines) after 4.5 seasons here...not nearly as good as those alu ones!
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

            Long Island Sound Region

            Comment


              #7
              Always flush with fresh water after running in salty water, I would do the same even in fresh water.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

              Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

              Comment


                #8
                Going into my 9th Season since changing to ceramic coated Aluminum Risers and Elbows. I stripped them down this week to check their condition....They looked like new! I change the Anodes annually and flush each time I return to the dock. So if anyone has doubts about Aluminum? I would never go back to Cast Iron.

                Comment


                #9
                Oops! Sorry for the double post.......I'm going into my 9th year of using Ceramic coated Aluminum Risers & Elbows. I checked them this week and they still look like new. I boat in Salt but change my anodes yearly and engine flush with fresh water after each trip. I would never go back to Cast iron!!!

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by bristolboy View Post
                  Oops! Sorry for the double post.......I'm going into my 9th year of using Ceramic coated Aluminum Risers & Elbows. I checked them this week and they still look like new. I boat in Salt but change my anodes yearly and engine flush with fresh water after each trip. I would never go back to Cast iron!!!
                  You boat in salt? Thanks for the info. Any pics you could share?
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                  (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                  The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by FBKboater View Post
                    A lot of people have asked about aluminum exhausts in the past, and I figured since I was working on mine today I'd post a few pics. These photos are of HGE aluminum exhaust manifolds and risers after 4 seasons in salt water service. Zincs are changed every year. When I was asking around for info and opinions on aluminum exhaust systems everyone told me they won't last, but nobody had actually tried them so I decided I'd give em a try. This boat operates in salt water but glacier runoff tends to dilute the top few feet in my marina which may have a lot to due with the lack of corrosion.
                    You should be using magnesium (zincs) with aluminum I believe.
                    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

                    Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                      You boat in salt? Thanks for the info. Any pics you could share?
                      Yes! I boat on the Salish Sea/Puget Sound which is Salty. For 8 years my boat was moored full time in the Marina (Salt water) this year I bought a Trailer hence I could strip the Elbows & Risers for a look. The picture was taken as they were found with no cleaning.
                      The only neg comment is that the Elbows are bolted down with plated bolts 3/8NC.The thread in one of the Risers had stripped so needed a Helicoil to fix. (I probably had over torqued it at some time)

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post

                        You should be using magnesium (zincs) with aluminum I believe.
                        Magnesium anodes are for freshwater only. At least mine say for freshwater use only on the package.
                        Dave
                        2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
                        2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
                        2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                        http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

                        Comment


                          #14
                          Originally posted by bristolboy View Post

                          Yes! I boat on the Salish Sea/Puget Sound which is Salty. For 8 years my boat was moored full time in the Marina (Salt water) this year I bought a Trailer hence I could strip the Elbows & Risers for a look. The picture was taken as they were found with no cleaning.
                          The only neg comment is that the Elbows are bolted down with plated bolts 3/8NC.The thread in one of the Risers had stripped so needed a Helicoil to fix. (I probably had over torqued it at some time)
                          Good info, thanks.
                          Btw, there appears to be water at the bottom of the exhaust chamber in your exhaust manifold. I assume that entered when you separated the elbow?
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	4A426B16-9920-4D04-9D4A-1ECAC4A16DC9.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	486845
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

                          Comment


                            #15
                            It's Pink Anti-Freeze

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X