Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one seen this before - Hole appeared in Transom shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one seen this before - Hole appeared in Transom shield?

Hi Folks,

Has anyone a quick fix or do I need to have the transom assembly changed - very expensive in the UK (approx $5000).

Attached Files
    Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
    1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
    MMSI 235061726

Both of mine did this, Bravo 2's. When it was out for maintenance my maintenance/repair guy said it is quite common. He cut it out, cleaned up all the corrosion, and installed a piece of stainless over the hole.
    sigpic
    MDR3055
    "GREEN JEANS"
    '99 Bayliner 3055
    Merc 5.0's Bravo 2's
    Marina Del Rey, CA

Comment

Those drives are in salt as can be seen by the barnacles which is the worst place for drives. I have to assume a faulty mercathode system or worn out zincs or a combo of the 2 caused this. Bravo II have a really good reputation and this is definitely not common. That being said, fresh water bravos up here in never corrode, paint gets ugly after 10+ years but no corrosion. Heck the drives on my previous 97 Avanti still look great going on 22 years.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MDR3055 View Post
        Both of mine did this, Bravo 2's. When it was out for maintenance my maintenance/repair guy said it is quite common. He cut it out, cleaned up all the corrosion, and installed a piece of stainless over the hole.
        Your mechanic did you no favours, adding dissimilar metals especially stainless to a drive is asking for even more trouble.
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

JR Marine kit used to replace swivel shaft cuts this area out and has a plate to cover it along with using sealant.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            And the cover plate is in fact stainless

The JR kit is basically what my guy did for the repair. They also use a SS plate for the cover. My zincs are kept up by my divers and replaced often. Mercathode is functioning. Thing is, that area is not submerged and sits out of the water. Any small wake, wind wave etc constantly splash up on this area and then dries. It's just a corrosion perfect storm. Had the repair done 3 years ago and still solid. Fingers crossed!
          sigpic
          MDR3055
          "GREEN JEANS"
          '99 Bayliner 3055
          Merc 5.0's Bravo 2's
          Marina Del Rey, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
            JR Marine kit used to replace swivel shaft cuts this area out and has a plate to cover it along with using sealant.
            Is there enough "bite" left on the short side of the hole for the JR plate to work?
            Simo
            2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
            Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

Originally posted by simo View Post

Is there enough "bite" left on the short side of the hole for the JR plate to work?
              If I recall the plate in the kit only uses four screw, one in each corner. What you need to check is there enough material around the parameter to compress sealant between the plate and housing. Google the kit and review the instructions to determine for yourself.

Mike

Comment

That’s some nasty corrosion. I believe a custom stainless cover plate could buy you some time. Like Mike said you’ll need sufficient material available at the housing to hold the screws. I’d also recommend the use of marine grade urethane as the sealant, not a fan of sillycone in that application.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX" '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
                The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                My Misc. Projects
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a really experienced marine engineer who is going to take a look today. He will advise on whether a cover plate can be done or whether I need to Bring Out Another Thousand.
                  Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
                  1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
                  MMSI 235061726

Comment

It looks like this housing has been hacked on previously, not referring to the threaded plugs on either side but almost looks like it's been smoothed over with some type of filler then repainted in that area. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	462
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	485825
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX" '93 2556
                    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
                    The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    My Misc. Projects
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I agree with Dave. Looks like someone was using the Mercruiser kit to replace the swivel shaft and had issues so they opened up the housing then filled it over.

Mike

Comment

http://www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA
                        Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Hey, I just noticed that the swivel pin has been replaced once before using an alternate method I had done to mine. Check out the plugs on either side of the assembly. Check out the pictures again.
                          Simo
                          2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
                          Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

Working...
                          X