PNW Storm! Insurance may write off my 2556 :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNW Storm! Insurance may write off my 2556 :(

Hello all, With the recent storm that hit the pacific north west, the breakwater at my marina sunk and a row of boats between the ocean and my 2556 collided, apparently cracking the transom. I am currently out of the country and due to return in about a week.

The one aspect of this boat I never learned was fiberglass & structural integrity, as my 2556 had strong bones.

When it comes to a cracked transom (and I assume damaged drive, etc.), i wonder if insurance will write it off? I am curious about what peoples thoughts were on repairing a significant crack in the transom, would it be a lost leader and I should push for the write off? or to have the boat fixed?

I am expecting a friend to email me some photos of the transom within the next few days to assess the damage, I will post them here. The marina's email to me indicated it was not looking good....

I have attached a couple photos showing the boats smashing into mine, seeing the devastation, I think the marina is correct; "it;s not looking good".

Thanks for everyone's input here.

(I put a lot of work into this old 2556, sad times...)
    BOAT: 1991 - Bayliner 2556 Ciera Flybridge
    ENGINE: 357 Alpha 4V (275HP)
    OUTDRIVE: Alpha Gen 1
    RATIO: (to be updated)
    PROP: 15 1/2" X 15P
    NAME: "Knotty Oar"

Marine Search and Rescue Crew - http://rcmsar.com/rescue-stations/southern-region/north-vancouver/

Originally posted by Landin View Post
    When it comes to a cracked transom (and I assume damaged drive, etc.), i wonder if insurance will write it off?
    Your insurance company will send an adjuster out to assess the damage (approx repair costs) -vs- the boat's insured value.
    If the repair cost falls under the boat's value, you may have the option of repairing it.
    However, if the repair costs exceed the boat's value, it will likely be viewed at a total loss.

I am curious about what peoples thoughts were on repairing a significant crack in the transom, would it be a lost leader and I should push for the write off? or to have the boat fixed?
    Without the insurance company's assessment of the damage, it would be impossible for any of us to comment at this time.

I am expecting a friend to email me some photos of the transom within the next few days to assess the damage, I will post them here. The marina's email to me indicated it was not looking good....
    Has the boat been pulled out of the water and put on the hard yet?
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Wow! Horseshoe Bay. Just spent some time there
      last Summer. Nice little town. There's video of the
      time the ferry missed its dock a few years ago. Tough
      times again for that little harbor. Hope it all works out
      well for you.
      1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
      7.4 Mercruiser
      Still learning about other systems
      and specs.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Landin, I know you recently got her drive ratio dialed in and all the previous work you’ve put into the boat.
        I agree with Rick on seeing what the adjuster is going to say. Knowing the 2556 transom very well I’d be interested to see just how it’s been cracked (assuming the boat is still holding out water) and how it could be a total loss. A basic transom core replacement would maybe run somewhere around 4K in my area, but it’s likely more extensive than that. Transom area damage could mean the boats ass end has taken a beating from the other boats and she’s busted up pretty bad back there.
        Also curious if she’s been pulled from the water.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. can only hope it works out for the best. It does sound serious and perhaps a write-off is the best way to go. I guess you will know more once you see the boat for yourself. Good luck.
          Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
          West River Yacht & Cruising Club
          www.wrycc.com

Comment

Please find attached photos of damaged starboard stern - Swim grid along with dingy has been torn off. The boat has not yet been hauled out of the water yet, due to the fact that nobody wants to take any liability for the boat in tow to haul out facility approx. 10nm away... My insurance company refuses to take liability for the tow and haul until the claim is "processes" and I am currently out of the country.... I have called in a few favors and a buddy will have it towed and hauled today, I hope! My biggest concern is the operations of the bilges (i have 3) and the marine moved my boat away from the danger zone and i cannot seem to confirm if they plugged the boat into shore power or not : /

Hi Dave, indeed! I feel like i have taken the beaten path to learn about boats. I do appreciated you giving me an estimate to repair the transom - Perhaps there is still hope for her!

Yet another chapter in my journey of boating.....

I will update this thread as things progress in the event someone else ever encounters an issue such as this.

Regards.

Marine Search and Rescue Crew - http://rcmsar.com/rescue-stations/southern-region/north-vancouver/

Comment

Originally posted by Landin View Post
              The boat has not yet been hauled out of the water yet, due to the fact that nobody wants to take any liability for the boat in tow to haul out facility approx. 10nm away...
              Is this to say that the Marina does not have qualified people that are capable of doing this?

My insurance company refuses to take liability for the tow and haul until the claim is "processes" and I am currently out of the country....
              OK... is this to say that your insurance company is willing to risk having the boat sink (at a total loss), rather than protecting the asset and providing funds to have it removed from the water (which would prevent sinking and a total loss)?

I have called in a few favors and a buddy will have it towed and hauled today, I hope!
              Make sure that your buddy uses a company who is licensed, bonded and insured re; this type of service!

My biggest concern is the operations of the bilges (i have 3) and the marine moved my boat away from the danger zone and i cannot seem to confirm if they plugged the boat into shore power or not
              You mean "bilge pumps"?

Try your best to find a licensed, bonded, insured and qualified company who can get that boat on the hard ASAP!
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• Landin
                Landin commented
                Editing a comment
                The boat has not yet been hauled out of the water yet, due to the fact that nobody wants to take any liability for the boat in tow to haul out facility approx. 10nm away...

[2850Bounty] Is this to say that the Marina does not have qualified people that are capable of doing this?

[Landin] Correct, the marina does not offer any haul out services and upon speaking to them yesterday, they were not willing to act on my boat unless I assumed all liability for their actions. Ie. If it sinks….

My insurance company refuses to take liability for the tow and haul until the claim is "processes" and I am currently out of the country....

[2850Bounty] OK... is this to say that your insurance company is willing to risk having the boat sink (at a total loss), rather than protecting the asset and providing funds to have it removed from the water (which would prevent sinking and a total loss)?

[Landin] I first contracted the insurance company to notify them of the damage, the following day, the marina advised the extend of the damage, i forwarded the insurance company the marina's concern of water egress, the following response was provided "As vessel owner you are responsible for the safeguarding of your vessel and for the authorization of any works."

I have called in a few favors and a buddy will have it towed and hauled today, I hope!

[2850Bounty] Make sure that your buddy uses a company who is licensed, bonded and insured re; this type of service!

[Landin]Yup, he works for a certified mercury / Volvo dealer.

My biggest concern is the operations of the bilges (i have 3) and the marine moved my boat away from the danger zone and i cannot seem to confirm if they plugged the boat into shore power or not

[2850Bounty] You mean "bilge pumps"?

[Landin]Yes, from what I can tell, the bilge pumps are the only thing keeping it afloat.

[2850Bounty] Try your best to find a licensed, bonded, insured and qualified company who can get that boat on the hard ASAP!

[Landin]Just playing the waiting game till I can contact the next closest marina that can provide haul out service, they do not open for another 1.5 hrs and do not have an emergency contact #.

Very sorry to hear of your boats issue. Hard to deal with at any time, but from a distance horrible.
              Patrick and Patti
              4588 Pilothouse 1991
              12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
              M/V "Paloma"
              MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Originally posted by Papa_Charlie View Post
                Very sorry to hear of your boats issue. Hard to deal with at any time, but from a distance horrible.
                So true! and the though of having it towed with that huge hole is frightening! Thanks for the comments.

Comment

If anyone's interested - The boat can be seen from the marina's live stream webcam.. Top middle section - https://www.sewellsmarina.com/live-webcam/

Comment

Originally posted by RGrew176 View Post
                    Sorry to hear about this. can only hope it works out for the best. It does sound serious and perhaps a write-off is the best way to go. I guess you will know more once you see the boat for yourself. Good luck.
                    Thank-you!

Comment

Isn’t there a service similar to TowboatUS? How about a regular tug company? I understand the trying to deal with a problem while out of the country, btdt, a couple of times.
                      The damage to the corner of the hull appears to be very repairable, possible damage to the leg needs to be investigated.
                      P/C Pete
                      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                      MMSI 367770440
                      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                        Isn’t there a service similar to TowboatUS? How about a regular tug company? I understand the trying to deal with a problem while out of the country, btdt, a couple of times.
                        The damage to the corner of the hull appears to be very repairable, possible damage to the leg needs to be investigated.
                        Thanks for touching base - We do have seatow in Canada, the problem I have now is nobody being on the vessel under tow...... Reaching out to people now to see who can help. fingers crossed!

Comment

Landin, judging from the limited views of the pics it looks very repairable but it's hard to tell if the damaged areas are broken completely through. Has your buddy been able to board the boat to determine weather or not she's taking on any water? Hard to believe the marina will not take any action to ensure this boat that is still curently floating will stay that way. However it sounds like they've moved the boat to a different location so they did have there hands on it last.
                          Just to clarify: the company or person(s) that will attempt to tow the boat to a haul out facility should be licensed and insured to do so.
                          A few tubes of urethane smeared into and around damaged areas may help reduce any current leakage on a temporary basis of course.
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If the swim step was destroyed, I'd certainly be suspect that the leg took a repeated beating. I'd also get it out of the water asap. Core soaks up water a lot faster than it evaporates it out.
                            Tally and Vicki
                            "Wickus" Meridian 341
                            MMSI 338014939

Comment

Working...
                            X