Accessory switches for what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessory switches for what?

On my electrical panel I have 4 accessories toggles. I have presumed they are not connected to anything. But today I flipped one on and could have sworn I heard something like a breaker trip at the rear of the salon. There is a chance it was just a coincendence with some noise outside and I don’t see anything not working. Plus they are normally set to off anyway.

So any tips on how you trace them or find out if they are running anything? I did keep my eye on the power gauge needle. And it never moved a jot when I flipped them all on and off.

note in the pic it’s second row from bottom far right and left.

I also have 2 above the lower helm. No idea if they power anything. Same deal always been off ???
    BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Accessories switches are just added switches the factory put in the electrical panel. They are not hooked up to anything until someone decides they want to hook up some type of accessory to the switch. This could be anything the op wants. There is no way for us to say if anything is hooked to any of them. You just have to try nd figure it out. You could take the front of the panel off and see if there are more than one wire connected to each switch. They come with a hot (positive) wire on them.
    1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
    5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

I used one of the extra switches a coupleof years ago when I added more lights .
      Bill and Janice
      Chatham, Ontario, Canada
      1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

Originally posted by simbad View Post
        On my electrical panel I have 4 accessories toggles. I have presumed they are not connected to anything. But today I flipped one on and could have sworn I heard something like a breaker trip at the rear of the salon. There is a chance it was just a coincendence with some noise outside and I don’t see anything not working. Plus they are normally set to off anyway.

So any tips on how you trace them or find out if they are running anything? I did keep my eye on the power gauge needle. And it never moved a jot when I flipped them all on and off.

note in the pic it’s second row from bottom far right and left.

I also have 2 above the lower helm. No idea if they power anything. Same deal always been off ???
        You may want to pull the panel and look to see if the switches are connected to anything.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

So presume they are a single hot wire like a basic toggle switch with a ground going to a common ground. So if I pulled the panel and there’s any wire on it then it’s going somewhere and if no wire it’s just a spare switch?

Comment

• pgiconch
            pgiconch commented
            Editing a comment
            Noooo. It was probably wired at the factory with a hot lead feeding it. The SPST (or DPST) switch will have one wire going to it. This will be a hot wire. If there is nothing connected on the output side of the switch then it is not being used. There will not be a ground wire connected to any of the switches as they are not illuminated switches. If it was wired by a dealer or previous owner to power some new accessory which didn't come from the MFG then you will have to trace the wire by color and direction/path to determine what it may be powering. If everything on the moat is working and the volt meter doesn't budge when you flip them, odds are nothing additional was added to the boat and wired to any of those four. Obviously if there are no wires connected to any of them, they aren't in use.

Thanks all. Didn’t realize they came with a hot live already connected. Good to know.
          Will have to take the panel off and have a look !

Comment

Working...
          X