3288 starter relay for 150hp diesel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 starter relay for 150hp diesel

I know this has been covered quite a bit in the past but I'd like a starter relay spare and the stock is about $240. I thought someone on the forum found a cheaper substitute (other than the screwdriver trick which quite frankly scares me when I do it) since this is a simple part and shouldn't cost so much. Does anyone have information on this?
    1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
    previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Are you asking about a starter motor "relay", or a starter motor "solenoid"?

A spare relay could be one of many if the amperage capacity and terminal configuration are a match.
    However, a solenoid is going to be specific to the starter motor!
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Bounty, I always get that one mixed up for some reason. It is the relay that I'm talking about. I agree, and I don't understand why it has to be so specific. Surely any relay to for a comparable diesel motor would work?! The parts lady at Hino Canada (trucks) was not up for the challenge unfortunately. I was hoping to get someone who can troubleshoot and get a bit creative.
      1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
      previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

Had an “emergency start switch” located in the engine room wired directly to the solenoid on dads sailboat. Also came in handy when bleeding air after fuel filter changes etc.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
        X