Click image for larger version

Name:	20181210_171445.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	471511Click image for larger version

Name:	20181210_175102.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	471512 So l am changing a dented rocker cover on my motor in the shop. Figured out the ext. Manifolds had to come off. Pull the risers and see rust in the bottom of the manifold Go to pull the manifold and I find the rear bolt broken the next 2 are bent ??
    When the manifold comes off there's rust in the ports @%$$. Off comes the head and there's water in 1 hole and rust in another.
    So when the tree fell on the boat I got this motor from (see post " I killed a SeaRay") it knocked the the manifold loose. Rain or snow melt got into the motor and has set for a couple of years. Like I said sometimes it sucks to be me ​ ​​​​​​​
    Attached Files
    1992 2452
    5.0 alpha1 gen2

All repairable. Have the heads checked to see if it’s worth rebuilding them. For me a couple hundred more bought new Vortec heads. Can the crank be spun or are the rings rusted to the cylinder walls? Your looking at a rebuild of some type regardless. Post some pics of the cylinder walls etc.
    If it turns out an over bore is required then a QE piston is a better choice than the standard GM dished.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SBC light vs heavy castings 3 .png
Views:	1
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	471524Just a friendly FYI and FWIW

Click image for larger version  Name:	SBC light vs heavy castings 2 .png Views:	2 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	471522
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

+1 on the light head castings. They are vortec heads. From what I have read the 6.2 is a stock bore 350 block might be a 2 bolt main block. The magic is in the crank 3.75 stroke vs 3.48 What I don't know is it a 400 crank large journal. Or is it a custom crank with the stock 350 journals ? I'm going to try and get it on the stand tonight and get the pan off. I don't think I will pull the internals yet but I will need to check the bores. Hay if I go .30 over I'll have a 383!!!
        Rick when the time comes i would like to pick your brain about the QE pistons I remember some of the stirr over quench area back when the vortec head came out but not the details
        1992 2452
        5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Originally posted by Lineman1 View Post
          +1 on the light head castings. They are vortec heads.
          From what I have read the 6.2L is a stock bore 350 block might be a 2 bolt main block. The magic is in the crank 3.750" stroke vs 3.480"
          That is correct!
          Std bore 4.000" = 6.2L or 377 cu in
          First over bore 4.030" = 6.3L or 383 cu in

What I don't know is it a 400 crank large journal. Or is it a custom crank with the stock 350 journals ?
          The main crankshaft journals are turned down in order to fit the 5.7L block. Rod journals are left alone.

I'm going to try and get it on the stand tonight and get the pan off. I don't think I will pull the internals yet but I will need to check the bores. Hay if I go .30 over I'll have a 383!!!
          Correct!

Rick when the time comes i would like to pick your brain about the QE pistons. I remember some of the stirr over quench area back when the vortec head came out but not the details
          Yep, that would have been one of Mike Emm's threads regarding his 383 builds.
          We had two goof-ball BOC members trying to derail Mike's thread! Later it became clear that they didn’t know what they were talking about!
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yup, that sucks. However, it's not May or July, you aren't starting a vacation on the boat, it didn't break out in rough water, it's repairable and you'll know exactly what's in the engine.
            Convincing the admiral, if there is one, that it may be broken, but the timing is a good, well, relatively, may be the bigger challenge.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

The adm
              1992 2452
              5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

The admiral was the first to say better now than when we got it in the boat.
                1992 2452
                5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                  Nauti_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have a good and smart women there.

It's on the stand I got about a gallon of water out of the pan. It's cold so I will just let it drain . Maybe put a heater on it all day tomorrow and see how much oil I get out.
                It tried to turn over as I took the coupler bolts out. I don't want to spin it till I get the pan off Don't want to pump the sludge through the oil pump. But it's not frozen up.
                1992 2452
                5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

I hope you realize how lucky you are to be under her command. I've found that gifts and sacrifices work well to keep them happy. Well, mostly happy.
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                  MMSI 367770440
                  1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                  Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Pete if you only knew
                    I would go on and on about how she loves to fish/boat ,works along side me on most projects cooks and takes care of me . But one of you with a bigger boat or one that runs might show up and try to sweep her away
                    1992 2452
                    5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Guy's ... think a very severe overheat condition warped the heads ?

Hence the broken and bent bolts ?
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Alen, yes first thing crossed my mind...
                        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
                          Guy's ... think a very severe overheat condition warped the heads ?

Hence the broken and bent bolts ?
                          Or the tree that the OP said fell on the boat the engine came from.
                          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Trust me it was the tree. Smashed the plugs off the ecm, dented a rocker cover,blew both hubs off one side of the trailer and destroyed the hull of a searay 220.
                            1992 2452
                            5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Working...
                            X