2452 - Cranking and deep cycle batteries-gctid410265

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2452 - Cranking and deep cycle batteries-gctid410265

Hi everyone. One of my batteries is bad, so obviously i will replace it. Should I have a deep cycle for accessories and a cranking battery, or are two cranking batteries sufficient?

Frankly I am not sure, but I beleive I have two cranking barrries now...Interstate 24MHD's.

I like the idea of anchoring out and using a deep cycle battery to run the frig, stereo, tv, fans, fish finder, etc... and then switching to the cranking battery for the trip home.

Thoughts are appreciated.

howiet

:arr

Hi

Many of the guys 'round here really like the 6V golf cart batteries. You need 2 of 'em, wired in series for your boat. These are reputed to be pretty good deep-cycle batts.

I say that you need two, but I saw of the above mentioned batts at Sam's club - they're double high and 12V - that's what I will be getting, probbaly next year.

Sarah

Comment

Thanks Capt Sarah

Comment

Hi

I have two cranking batteries on mine, i use a smart alternator regulator

http://www.sterlingpowerproductsbam....cts-altreg.htm

All i have to do is put the battery selector to both or all and i never have to worry about selecting one or the other it's all done automatically.

However if you are going to anchor and run the batteries down a lot then perhaps a third battery like Sarahs post topped up with a solar panel.

Good luck.

Comment

spike2450 wrote:
          Hi

I have two cranking batteries on mine, i use a smart alternator regulator

http://www.sterlingpowerproductsbam....cts-altreg.htm

All i have to do is put the battery selector to both or all and i never have to worry about selecting one or the other it's all done automatically.

However if you are going to anchor and run the batteries down a lot then perhaps a third battery like Sarahs post topped up with a solar panel.

Good luck.
          I just threw in a dual purpose deep cycle (optima blue top) in as a starting battery, and also one as the house battery. I like having them identical (same chemistry) because the charger has only one switch setting for AGM/Gell/Flooded... wherever this switch is positioned, both batteries will get recharging treatment specific for that battery type. If I mismatch batteries, there will be charging issues. The dual purpose has worked great for starting, and good house capacity.

Comment

Wet cell batteries perform a bit better for our HLBB (house load battery bank).

You are correct. You'll want a dedicated cranking battery on #1, and at least one large Deep Cycle on #2.

The 6 volt G/C batteries (in series) is actually a better way to go for your HLBB.

More AH with these.

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The battery you describe is a cranking battery

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/714190=30771-24M-HD.jpg[/img]I have the 6V golf cart batteries and am very pleased with the results

Comment

howiet wrote:
                Should I have a deep cycle for accessories and a cranking battery, or are two cranking batteries sufficient?
                Cranking batteries are not designed to power a load over time and will deplete much faster than a deep cycle when powering accessories

Comment

I am going to purchase a deep cycle today and install it

Thanks everyone

Howiet:arr

Comment

If you have the space, consider two 6 volt Golf Cart batteries cabled in series.

You'll end up with more AH..... and Amp Hours is what we want.

More AH, and the less likely that you'll draw this bank down below 50%.

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                    X