351w replacement raw water pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351w replacement raw water pump

I just had both 351w ford engines, 1993 vintage in my 3288 rebuilt. The original raw water pumps were Sherwood but they are not available any more. I remember reading some years ago that someone replace these front mounted pumps with a different make that fit perfectly. Anyone know the make and model of the replacement pump?

I also posted this in General to see if anyone there knew.

Crank mounted pumps? Maybe not, Should post in tech.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Johnson Pump F6B

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

F6B9 has max flow for this type.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

If RW cooled, F5B-9
          If Closed Cooling, F6B-9
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I ran F6b9 on my old Tollycraft with new 351 fords and never had an issue, only difference is the very small difference in the length of the impeller the f6B9 flows more water, the thermostat takes care of the difference.
            The price is usually the same for both models of pumps.

I currently have F6b9 pumps on my 350 GM engines, and have had for over 18 years.
            I have 2 spares that are after market knock offs and they look the same as the originals.
            Gaskets and impellers are the same.
            Last edited by boatworkfl; 10-13-2018, 04:30 PM. Reason: Add info

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The F5B-9 uses the very common 1027 impeller. This impeller fits many different seawater pumps, and is easy to find.
              Both the Johnson and Jabsco small volume crankshaft pumps can use the 1027 impeller, which is closer to 1.125" in depth. No issues re; confusion with this impeller!

The F6B-9 uses a very similar but longer/deeper impeller. This impeller is listed under 09-45825 09-812B-1 10-24232-1 , 10-24232-2 , 10-24232-3 , 10-24232-4 , 10-24232-5 , 10-24232-6 , 10-24232-7 , 10-24234-1 , 10-24234-2 , 10-24302-01 , 10-24302-02 , 10-24316-01 , 10-24316-02 and so on.

Caution: There is an older Jabsco crankshaft pump that uses an extremely similar impeller. Same number of vanes, same diameter, same spline arrangement, etc. The Jabsco pump's cover uses 6 screws, whereas the Johnson uses only 4 cover screws.

NOTE:
              Large volume F6B-9 impeller is 1.900" in depth.
              Large volume Jabsco impeller is 1.990" in depth.
              That's only .090" difference in impeller depth (approximately 3/32"). Every other dimension is the same!

Parts people have been know to sell this impeller for the Johnson F6B-9, and have been known to sell the F6B-9 impeller for the Jabsco pump.
              Without carefully looking, you may not notice the difference.

Here is an old thread on that topic.
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...mp-gctid804788

Here is another thread on the topic.
              http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...-pump-now-what
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the replies:

I have closed cooling so I should order the Johnson F5B-9, right?

I did a search on the internet for Canadian suppliers and the results were a bit confusing. The F5B-9 Johnson pump (at least the ones I found) have vertical suction and discharge ports. The ones on the Sherwood pumps now on the boat are horizontal so I would have to install 90 degree elbows on the pump to match the current lines. Would that cause any problems? Will all the current brackets work or do I have to prefab new bracketing?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by lolar3288 View Post
                  Thanks for the replies:

I have closed cooling so I should order the Johnson F5B-9, right? I assume all the current hosing and bracketing fit and it is a straight bolt on?

Larry
                  Technically speaking......... removing engine heat (BTUs) should require the same amount of seawater whether RW Cooled or Closed System Cooled. BTUs are BTUs!

However, I've seen the smaller F5B-9 more commonly used for RW Cooled small block engines, and the larger F6B-9 used more commonly for the RW Cooled Big Block engines.
                  I have also seen the larger F6B-9 used for both the Small and Big block engines with Closed Cooling.

As for pump volume....... perhaps look at the Sherwood pump rotations per crank rotations. If 1:1 it will spin same as the FXB-9 will.
                  Then measure the Sherwood impellers and compare that to the Johnson impellers.

As for mounting...... Indmar routinely offers this style pump on the Ford engines.
                  I have also mounted these on the Ford engines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indm...w=1108&bih=602

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Rick

I guess I should have stated that the current pump is a Sherwood model P-151...….I am a little concerned that the hosing is different and the F6B-9 does not seem to come in the Horizontal configuration. I have just gone through hell with both engine rebuilds as the installer has had a devil of time getting some parts in Canada. For example, I had to have the pans redone because new marine pans were not available here. The shaft seal for the pumps was not in stock and I was surprised to find both the pump bearings and shaft seal are metric. I was hoping to find new pumps that would fit so I could have one on the boat in case of failure. Because of the age these boats are getting harder and harder to repair....heck I can't even buy new or used portlights!

Attached is a drawing of the pump.

pump.doc
                    Attached Files

Comment

That P-151 Sherwood parts are expensive.
                      Buy a new Johnson pump and new hoses, you will save money.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                      X