Fogging a Merc MPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fogging a Merc MPI

I plan on fogging my engine this year as per Mercury's recommendation. http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf I have few questions before I move forward.

1. Do I really need 6 gallons of premix? Can I get away with just 1 gallon? I have have a 6 gallon portable marine tank that I can use or can I just use a regular 1 gallon can with a fuel line in it?

2. Is Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment okay to use rather than Mercury's product? http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...ategory_id=585

3. I also use Star Bright's EZ Store EZ Start Gas Storage additive any issues there? http://www.starbrite.com/item/ez-sto...ategory_id=569

4. Mercury recommends Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil. Can i use the Synthetic Blend?

5. Is it better to change the fuel filter right after this is done or wait until the beginning of next season in case fuel seeps back in to the filter.

New Gasoline EFI/MPI Engine Fogging Procedure

Models: All MerCruiser gasoline EFI and MPI engines produced in Stillwater.

NOTE: This change does not apply to carbureted engines produced in Stillwater or Hi-Performance engines produced by Mercury Racing.

Change: Follow this new fogging procedure when laying an engine up for storage.

Fogging Mixture

In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:

5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.

64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.

5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR

1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate.

New Fogging Procedure

1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.

2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water

Separating Fuel Filter.

IMPORTANT:

If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on

flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.

3. a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.

b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.

4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off.

IMPORTANT: Do not run engine’s fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.

QuickChek over Wawa
    Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Originally posted by Waterdowg View Post
    I plan on fogging my engine this year as per Mercury's recommendation. http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf I have few questions before I move forward.
    For an MPI engine, the term "Fogging" is incorrect... but for the sake of this thread, let's run with it!

1. Do I really need 6 gallons of premix? Can I get away with just 1 gallon? I have have a 6 gallon portable marine tank that I can use or can I just use a regular 1 gallon can with a fuel line in it?
    6 gallons is ridiculous! That is more than enough for years and years.

2. Is Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment okay to use rather than Mercury's product? http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...ategory_id=585
    I believe that you will want to use an oil rather than a fuel stabilizer.

3. I also use Star Bright's EZ Store EZ Start Gas Storage additive any issues there? http://www.starbrite.com/item/ez-sto...ategory_id=569
    If using E-10 gasoline, yes....a good idea.

4. Mercury recommends Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil. Can i use the Synthetic Blend?
    I think that the TC-W3 would be just fine.

5. Is it better to change the fuel filter right after this is done or wait until the beginning of next season in case fuel seeps back in to the filter.

New Gasoline EFI/MPI Engine Fogging Procedure

Models: All MerCruiser gasoline EFI and MPI engines produced in Stillwater.

NOTE: This change does not apply to carbureted engines produced in Stillwater or Hi-Performance engines produced by Mercury Racing.

Change: Follow this new fogging procedure when laying an engine up for storage.

Fogging Mixture

In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:

5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.
    Why not use E free gasoline for this procedure?

64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.
    Yes.... this is an oil!

5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR
    Do stabilizers protect steel and iron, or are they designed more so to stabilize gasoline?

1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate.

New Fogging Procedure

1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.

2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water
    Separating Fuel Filter.

IMPORTANT:

If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on
    flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.

3. a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
    Case in point..... how are you going to use up 6 gallons of mixture in only 5 minutes?

b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.
    Case in point again..... how are you going to use up 6 gallons of mixture in only 10 minutes?

Then what do you do with the remaining 5.75 gallons of mixture..... do you stabilize it and store it until next season?

4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off.

IMPORTANT: Do not run engine’s fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the info
      Out of curiosity, if it not called fogging on MPI. What is it called?

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment okay to use rather than Mercury's product? http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...ategory_id=585

My thought was to use in the fuel mixture:

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment
      Star Bright's EZ Store EZ Start Gas Storage additive
      2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil

Do I really need 6 gallons of premix? Can I get away with just 1 gallon? I have have a 6 gallon portable marine tank that I can use or can I just use a regular 1 gallon can with a fuel line in it?
      Agreed... why would they even recommend 6 gallons.
      QuickChek over Wawa
      Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
      Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
      Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
      Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
      1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

Thanks for the info
        Out of curiosity, if it not called fogging on MPI. What is it called?
        Just like an Engine being called a Motor, we tend to use these terms haphazardly.
        While I don't know for certain what an Engineer may call it....., for me it would be; Oil-Enriched-Fuel Cylinder protection, or as some others put it; Pickling!

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment okay to use rather than Mercury's product? http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...ategory_id=585

My thought was to use in the fuel mixture:

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment
        Star Bright's EZ Store EZ Start Gas Storage additive
        2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil

Do I really need 6 gallons of premix? Can I get away with just 1 gallon? I have have a 6 gallon portable marine tank that I can use or can I just use a regular 1 gallon can with a fuel line in it?
        Agreed... why would they even recommend 6 gallons.
        Increased product sales???? No.... it couldn't be... could it???
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I have done my 4.5L the last 2 years with this fuel cocktail, as per manual, 10/1 fuel oil mix. I mix up 5 litres in a typical small red jerry can. Rigged up a hose assembly so it's sealed in the jug. Disconnect one hose clamp, hook up remote tank. I run the engine probably for 30 minutes in total, while doing all the service. I don't even use half of the 5 litres.
          Merc 4.5L MPI, Alpha drive

Comment

Meh... I haven't fogged my 5.7l (carb) in the 18 years I've owned it. Now, about 800 hours later, she's still running great... no issues that have come up due to not fogging. I think if you use the boat every summer, fogging is basically snakeoil. I do however religiously use marine Stabil EVERY fill up.
            1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Thanks for the info
              Out of curiosity, if it is not called fogging on MPI. What is it called?
              I think that the term "Fogging" comes from what happens to the oil as it enters a carbureted engine.
              To do this correctly, you would have a helper hold 1,100 or 1,200 RPM as you spray the fogging oil equally into the primary throttle bores.
              (equally for V engines as to catch both manifold planes...... for an in-line engine it would not matter)
              As the oil enters, the rotating assembly creates as a mist out of the oil (a fog so to speak).
              It is also being partially burned along with normal combustion.
              Here's the KEY to good Fogging:
              1.... The helper (who is holding 1,100rpm) will now cut the ignition (killing any combustion).
              2.... You will continue spraying until all comes to rest.
              The engine is now left with a good portion of un-combusted fogging oil on the cylinder walls, valves, etc.
              (proper engine fogging can occur within 10 seconds or so)

With the MPI, the air sensors must be protected from the fogging oil, so conventional fogging becomes a NO NO!
              Instead of conventional fogging, oil enriched gasoline is added either via a remote fuel can, or by adding it directly to the filter cartridge.
              This mixture is then introduced into each cylinder just as the MPI would introduce fuel/air mixture to each cylinder.
              The OEM suggests an average of 10 minutes run time.
              1........ the oil content is far less than what Fogging would offer.
              2....... it can't help but undergo combustion (so what good is a 10, 15 or even 20 minute run time?).
              3....... when the ignition is cut, so is the mixture cut.

There is no where near as much protection with this method.

As for your question.... I don't know what an engineer would technically call this....... and I think that the term "Fogging" simply got carried over.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Without knowing the software running in the ECM its hard to say but if the injectors still function once the kill switch is tripped a rich fuel/oil mixture would still be injected into most cylinders before the engine stopped rotating. Since the ignition would be disabled it would be unburned leaving a fuel/oil mixture in the cylinders and over time the fuel would evaporate leaving oil. While the amount of oil is much less than a true fogging it's better than nothing. The intent of "Fogging" is to leave an oil film in the cylinders and since traditional fogging of a carb engine and this method for an MPI both leave an oil film the term is used for both methods.

Note turning off the key removes power to the ECM so this would not be the way to perform this operation of fogging.
                1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                  Without knowing the software running in the ECM its hard to say but if the injectors still function once the kill switch is tripped a rich fuel/oil mixture would still be injected into most cylinders before the engine stopped rotating. Since the ignition would be disabled it would be unburned leaving a fuel/oil mixture in the cylinders and over time the fuel would evaporate leaving oil.
                  Mike, FI systems shut the fuel off when the ignition is cut. This is one reason why you will never see an FI engine undergo "run-on" or "dieseling".

While the amount of oil is much less than a true fogging it's better than nothing.
                  Yes.... I would agree..... it is better then nothing at all.

The intent of "Fogging" is to leave an oil film in the cylinders and since traditional fogging of a carb engine and this method for an MPI both leave an oil film the term is used for both methods.
                  I agree that the term "fogging" has been used for both methods, but I disagree that it is the correct term for MPI systems!
                  I'm more inclined to believe that it is a carry-over from earlier days.

Note turning off the key removes power to the ECM so this would not be the way to perform this operation of fogging.
                  I agree. In my opinion, this would not be true Engine Fogging!

Now.... all that said..... if there was a way to introduce the fogging solution further into the MPI system (avoiding any contact with the Air Sensors), it may be possible to actually Fog an MPI engine!
                  But keep in mind that we would need to reach all cylinder runners equally.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
                    Then it seems to me the best thing to do would be remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil directly into the cylinders and then reinstall the plugs.
                    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X