Total Newbie Questions-gctid409045

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Newbie Questions-gctid409045

Well, I've given my old/new project boat a good cleaning and she's starting to look more like a boat than a yard ornament. First off, some questions with pictures. There is box that says 'Shore Power' on the outside of the boat but I have no idea what type of cord is supposed to plug in there. Will this allow me to plug the boat into the house power (110 outlet) or is this some kind of special deal that only marinas have (see pics). Also, there on the starboard bow of the boat is this chrome tube thing sticking out (see pic). Should it have a cover? What is it for? What is the best way to get rid those brownish streaks on the side of the boat (see pic). The hook thing on the bow that the winch attaches to (see pic) looks like its not all the way in. Is this a huge problem? Will the boat sink or take on water without it being fixed. I'm thinking there should be a way on the inside of the boat to get to it. Sorry for all the questions and I probably sound like a total idiot by asking them but I also got different opinions on whether to keep the 3 year old gas or not.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712861=30653-IMG_0648.JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712861=30654-IMG_0649.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712861=30655-IMG_0650.JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712861=30656-IMG_0651.JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712861=30658-IMG_0655.JPG[/img]

1) Shore power powers your boat while at the dock, or at home with an adapter. Should power your frig, battery charger, stove, if so equiped, plugs etc. Yes, you can get the proper shore power cord from West Marine, or other such outlets.

2) No cover needed unless there is a hole thru the deck.

3) Elbow grease. Try a buffing compound. Believe it of not, if you have a magic erase (Mr. Clean product) work well also.

4) That can be an issue. You do not want that to pull out while you are towing your rig. The backing plate should be in your anchor rode locker. I would remove it, fix the damaged glass and re-bed that back into place with some 3M 4200, and use new locking nuts, do not re-use the old ones. Will it allow water in, yes, enough to sink the boat, not likely.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

The shore power connector and cord is a 30 amp twist-lock. If you want to plug it in at home, go to Home Depot and buy a 12 gauge extension cord along with an L5-30R plug. Cut off the female end of the cord, attach the twist-lock plug.

Or go to West Marine and spend four times as much for an adapter.

If you have AC, keep in mind you can't run it while the boat is out of the water.

Comment

Just a slight expansion on Phil's reply. I have a '90 2755, very similar to your boat.

The power cord is a special 30 amp. 110V cord which plugs into that pictured outlet on your boat and into a similar outlet at marinas. A shorter adapter cord is also available in case you want to plug the boat cord into your house outlet or any other standard 110v outlet, which is what some marinas still have. On the left side of your boat sink cabinet (or somewhere), you will see the electrical panel that allows you to switch from 110V supplied by that power cord to the 12v battery power when you leave the dock. There will also be 110v marine circuit breakers that are labeled, Range, Receptacles, Battery Charger, etc.).

The pictured chrome fixture is an opening into your rope locker through which you can feed anchor chain and rope in and out. There may be a mirror above your V-Bunks. If you remove that mirror (Just pull out, the mirror is on velcro), you will be able to access that rope locker and see that chrome fixture opening. It came stock with a hinged cover. At least one of us initially failed to secure the end of the rope in the rope locker and then dropped the anchor in deep water, thereby allowing one to view the end of the rope coming out of the rope locker and disappearing into the depths along with the expensive anchor and anchor chain.

I could not access the front eyehook from my rope locker. I cut a hole in the flat area between the mirror and the V-bunk in order to install an air conditioner and I was then able to access the attachment nuts on the eyehook, which is probably what you will have to do to make the repairs that Phil describes. Sounds like a big deal, but it's not.

I wouldn't keep three year old gas that someone else put in there. I can't siphon out of the boat gas filler neck so I would take out the gas gauge sending unit located on top of the gas tank in front of the engine and, if you have a large engine in your truck, use five gallons at a time when you fill the twenty gallon truck tank. Probably lots of different opinions on this issue.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

I had just read about Steve and then replied to the post.
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies!!! This has got to be one of the best forums on the net with guys like you on board. I knew I had come to the right place. I have just gotten home from West Marine and bought their new non-swist shore line (their 50 foot is on sale for $90) that has the LEDs, Flashlight built in etc and paid the silly money of $50 for the adapter to my house. My happy point was finding out the gally range works and so does my fridge and freezer !!! WOO HOO!!!! I had no idea they worked and just assumed they were bad. Mike, thanks for letting me know what in the heck that pipe was. I googled to my fingers bled trying to figure-out what that was. Awesome and your A/C setup sounds great! Gives me some ideas...hmmm...have any pics of that set-up? I put some rubbing compound on my polisher and was able to remove most of the stains. Just gonna have to go over it a few times to remove them. Thank you guys soooo much!!

Comment

I noticed no one replied about the bow eye and as I have some experience with that, thought I would.

Not sure about the how to get there, but get there. Get to the back of that eye and inspect the bolts. If you trailer your boat, definitely investigate why this is out. Either the bolt came loose, rusted or worse. Water coming in is the least of your worries as it is above the water line, but ripping out the only thing holding your boat to the trailer on a steep ramp.... not good.

I recently inspected mine and my stomach literally sank... Mine is a '79 and while not as far out as yours, it was a little out. At first I had a hard time getting a wrench on the nut on the inside as I couldn't see it, only feel it. The nuts were rusted down almost a complete nut size, ended up cutting them off. The backing plate, was just a piece of marine ply, and was waterlogged/rotted probably years ago from the looks of it.

All in all, it was a simple fix. I replaced the bow hook with a bigger one. I re-used the top hole just making it bigger. For the bottom I filled it with a dowel and epoxy and drilled my new hole just below where the old one was as the new hook was a little bit larger. I put a nice metal (some piece of scrap I got at the boat salvage place) backing plate with large washers.

With the thought of how rusted and falling apart as the original setup was still in my head, the next weekend we went to a ramp that was really steep. All I could think of was what would have happened had I not decided to look. I'm sure my boat would have been sitting on the ramp as soon as I accelerated up out of the water had I not replaced that bow hook.

Don't mean to add panic, but it's easy enough to check and relatively easy enough to fix if needed.
              Aquatic Muse
              Mount Vernon, WA
              MMSI: 367498870
              '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Comment

One last thing. Is it OK to leave the old 3 year gas in it to 'test' the motor? The motor is supposed to run, but hasen't been started in 3 years. Will it damage the motor much if the motor starts with the old gas if it only runs for 30 seconds or so? My plan was get the motor running to see what's wrong with it, then shut it off, drain the gas, oil, filters, etc and put all new in. Or should I go ahead and change everything before even starting?

Comment

Just so we're clear here, the engine should NEVER be run without cooling water. Even a few moments will ruin the impeller. If you don't know what I mean just ask here and we'll explain it. You probably knew that, but I figured someone had to say it.

I would probably try to start it, just to get an overall sense that it turns over, etc. I'm sure someone less impulsive than I would point out that the correct procedure would be to replace all the consumable parts, fluids and filters, first. Come to think of it, it's probably a good idea to replace the impeller after 3 years of non-use, too.

Stains on the hull can be removed a lot of different ways. Here's my list, in order of severity: 1) plain old automotive "cleaner wax." Mother's makes one as does Mcguier's. Most auto parts stores have one or both brands. You'd be amazed how quickly they wipe off ordinary black streaks, and even tougher marks with minimal effort. For things that cleaner wax won't easily remove, 2) Acetone (fingernail polish remover) which you can buy in the big-box home improvement stores. Make sure you don't get it on any rubber of vinyl materials, but it won't hurt gel coat. It does remove all the wax so you have to wash and re-wax when finished. 3) Brown stains from the tannins in fresh water, or even rust stains, are best attacked with acid. There are a number of brands out there that people recommend, but the common feature is they're strong acids. CLR is the one I usually have handy, but there are stronger ones. Use rubber gloves and thoroughly wash off everything it touches with water afterward. Then be sure to wax again.

Not on my list, but also good are the magic eraser pads mentioned above. I've had good luck with them on a lot of things around the cockpit and cabin, but haven't taken one to the hull yet. If it works, go for it.

Comment

Thanks but, what is an impeller and where is it located? Remember, I'm a complete Newbie! I know a propeller gives thrust so I'm assuming an impeller sucks in water???? I decided to remove the old gas and used a pump to remove it from the sending unit hole. I think that might be the best way as it worked without issues.

Oh, I did turn it over to make sure the motor wasn't locked-up or anything (like I do with cars), but I didn't have the sucking cup thingy attached to the outdrive area but something told me not do start the motor all the way because something was missing. I think I know where that suction cup thing goes. Is the impeller in the outdrive unit?

Comment

The impeller is what brings cooling water to your engine.

I am assuming you have an Alpha drive. If so it is located in the outdrive and should be replaced every 2-3 years. If the impeller goes bad you could damage the engine due to over-heating. The part is inexpensive, and I would get the complete kit (less than $100) as this comes with the housing as well.

How much fuel is there? And the big question is was it E-10 fuel. Personally, I would change all the vitals, this way you have a known starting point as to when oil was changed, gear lube was change, impeller, bellows, gimble, tune up. This will also give you nice, hands on time with the mechanicals of your boat.
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

Thanks Phil, I was thinking the water pump on the front of the block pumped the water from the outdrive to the water jackets in the block, but this impeller thing in the outdrive must help deliver sea water to the water pump.

I went ahead a pumped all the fuel out from the sending unit. It looked and smelt good so I'm thinking it must have had some Stabil put in it before being left. It will make good lawn mower fuel though...

Looks like I have alot to learn and I've ordered a book so I can understand how all this works.

I find it strange that the shore power will give power to the outlets, fridge, waterheater, etc., but the cabin lights only work off the battery. Weird.

Speaking of water pumps....lol

I filled my water tank from the garden hose, but I have no water at the galley faucet or the head. I turned on the shower and the button lights-up and makes noise but nothing comes out. I'm assuming there is a switch or something somewhere that turns the water on. Is there a water pump for the cabin water somewhere? I can't see it working off gravity as the tank must be lower than the faucets.

Comment

The rust stain can be removed with CLR product. It will/should desolve the iron oxide if applied when dry.

Give it a try first.

The bow eye fitting is very likely backed with wood. Take a look inside of the bow and see if this wooden member is rotten and is compressing.

If so, replace it with a piece of oily wood, such as Epay (sp?) or Teak wood.

It will require a bit of shaping to make it fit properly.

You can bed it in polyester resin or epoxy resin.

Re-tighten and compress.

It should pull up nicely. f

Ditto the impeller change, and regardless of how it looks. This is cheap insurance that your cooling system will work.

Since the boat is/has been in Florida, I'd suggest that you pull the exhaust manifolds and inspect the man/riser transfer ports.

This is equally as important as is your sea water pump impeller.

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

If the fuel seems good and there is a lot of it and you want to use it, use it in your car. The engines computer can compensate/adjust if necessary.
                            1998 3055 Ciera
                            (yes, a 1998)
                            Sea Doo XP
                            Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

adriantl wrote:
                              Thanks Phil, I was thinking the water pump on the front of the block pumped the water from the outdrive to the water jackets in the block, but this impeller thing in the outdrive must help deliver sea water to the water pump.

I went ahead a pumped all the fuel out from the sending unit. It looked and smelt good so I'm thinking it must have had some Stabil put in it before being left. It will make good lawn mower fuel though...

Looks like I have alot to learn and I've ordered a book so I can understand how all this works.

I find it strange that the shore power will give power to the outlets, fridge, waterheater, etc., but the cabin lights only work off the battery. Weird.

Speaking of water pumps....lol

I filled my water tank from the garden hose, but I have no water at the galley faucet or the head. I turned on the shower and the button lights-up and makes noise but nothing comes out. I'm assuming there is a switch or something somewhere that turns the water on. Is there a water pump for the cabin water somewhere? I can't see it working off gravity as the tank must be lower than the faucets.
                              Not positive, but if it's like my boat, the button you turned on in the shower was for a drain for the head(bathroom). The whole room turns into a "shower room" and then you use the pump to pull water our of the shower. There should be a seperate switch to turn on the water pump that runs the shower, sinks, and transom shower(if equipted, it's a hose at the rear of the boat that comes in quite handy at times).

I encourage you to keep asking questions, they people here are great and asking a question now can save a lot of money later.....Don't ask how I know this. :surr

Comment

Working...
                              X