Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lost my prop :X figuring out which replacement (5.7 V8 '98 2855 ciera)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost my prop :X figuring out which replacement (5.7 V8 '98 2855 ciera)

Yeah... that was a "dynamic" afternoon.

When boating out of a lock onto a quite wild river (lots of large ships and boats due to a big event on the water), lot of debris got washed towards the lock.
    Bottles, wood, pieces of rope etc etc.
    As soon as I navigated out of the lock, about 1500 RPM, the boat started shaking quite heavily.
    Imagine, trying to reach a steady route in waves and current, and the boat more or less dies on you. The eninge kept on going though, so back to neutral, tried again. shaking.
    I reversed, again shaking.
    I needed to act fast, because waves and wind started pushing me dangerously close to the lock walls and pillars in the water.
    Again I tried forward, reverse and forward again, and suddenly there was some wood in the wake that seemed to have 'popped out'.

The boat then behaved normally again.
    Close call!

Immediately we boated towards a more peaceful bit of water in front of the lock, , reversed a bit to slow down, and as soon as I tried forward again all torque was gone. The engine just responded to the handle, nothing else.
    I switched off the engine and by wind and bow thruster we managed to reach the quay. I trimmed up the drive to check the prop.

There was no prop!

gone

So... Sunday, no prop, "bad water"... I made some phonecalls, and found somebody who actually had some props, but both of us didn't have a clue what prop or pitch I would be needing.
    I had a stainless 4 blade on it, but any prop that could take me home would suffice for now.
    He brought over the prop, we mounted it, and had torque again. Actually more torque than before beneath 1500 RPM.
    So we started boating home, but it is impossible to get the boated planed.
    Max rev is approx 2800 RPM, speed not more than 27 kms/h
    This used to be 4600 RPM at about 49 kms/h

The now fitted (wrong) prop is a standard aluminium 4 blade 21 pitch.

I need to phone up my insurance tomorrow, and surely they want to know what te 'damage' is and I need to figure out what prop I should be needing.
    pitch 15? 17?

Anything else that would perform better?

16 X 14 is the ticket
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
      16 X 14 is the ticket
      Thanks
      for a 4 blade?
      if I run this through the mercruiser propselector, I can only see pitch 15, 17 and 19. ?

Comment

I've spoken to the original dealer of the boat today. They actually imported it in '98.
        They told me these boats back then got delivered with an aluminium 3 blade 13"x16pitch prop (hard to get nowadays) and that would not perform as good as the lost prop would've.
        Also they explained that every boat should have its "own" prop. Meaning that every 2855 ciera, depending on load etc, behaves a bit different from boat to boat with prop X or Y.
        It would be a matter of trial and error really, as long as it would reach a decent top RPM. (approx 4600, which it did with my 4 blade stainless)
        She explained to me that' what they do with every brand new boat that they get in. They test which prop performs best with that specific boat.
        They would be happy to send me a testing prop over, and boat to them so they would select the best prop for the boat.
        However, that is a 90 km trip at 12/hr... and the insurance company wants me to boat to a more nearby shop. (I agree)

The boat workshop I've spoken today that is nearest to me, and also where my insurance wants me to drive it to, more or less had the same conclusion.
        He wants the boat there, select a prop, test that, and take it from there before ordering the actual "proper" prop.

Let's assume the 13x16 is correct, in aluminium, should I go up or down a pitch for a 4 blade stainless?

Comment

Down but a 13 inch diameter prop seems really small IMO.
          Let the shop find the appropriate prop and verify yourself that recommended WOT can be reached before you sign the check.
          Keep us posted
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
            Down but a 13 inch diameter prop seems really small IMO.
            Let the shop find the appropriate prop and verify yourself that recommended WOT can be reached before you sign the check.
            Keep us posted
            OK, will do.
            So a 14x15 might be a reasonable starting point then. (?)

I hope I can find some time (and a return trip) tomorrow morning to take it to the shop.

edit:
            mercruiser comes up with this prop
            Revolution 4® Roestvrij staal 4 14.625 15 RH 857022A46
            might seem like a proper start there

Comment

This boat is equipped with a Bravo 2 drive, yes, no? I’d think the diameter would be much larger for a B drive. What’s the drives final gear ratio?
              I see quicksilver QA1940R (18.25 x 19 3 blade aluminum) recommended for a 28’ cruiser with 5.7 & B2 w 2.0:1 ratio, same prop I run on my 2556
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

I'm curious. Do the B2's not have a locking device of some sort to stop a prop from spinning off. I'd think that something of that expense would have some method of keeping the prop on the shaft.
                Bob Hawes.
                Kelowna, B.C.
                1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Originally posted by bhawes View Post
                  I'm curious. Do the B2's not have a locking device of some sort to stop a prop from spinning off. I'd think that something of that expense would have some method of keeping the prop on the shaft.
                  My B2 uses the tabbed lock washer. I suspect the OP still had the inner hub on the prop shaft and the rubber failed allowing the outer hub and blades to come off.
                  1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post

My B2 uses the tabbed lock washer. I suspect the OP still had the inner hub on the prop shaft and the rubber failed allowing the outer hub and blades to come off.
                    Had a hard time wrapping my head around the prop falling off as well. Maybe the tabbed washer wasn't set up properly. Be great if op could confirm if the hub was still on the shaft.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    Misc. projects thread

Comment

Bob here's the bravo 2 prop nut kit. Yes it has a nylock nut and a tab washer to keep the prop secured.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	454751
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      Misc. projects thread

Comment

Then the A1G2 has the same retaining device.
                        Bob Hawes.
                        Kelowna, B.C.
                        1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                        4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Bob the pic I posted is actually for the A drive but it's only slightly different for the B drive.
                          My bad...
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          Misc. projects thread

Comment

A1 and B1 use the same size nut but the B2 while using a similar prop retaining design has larger components including the nut diameter as the prop shaft if much beefier.
                            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

According to the importer of the boat, all 2855 with 1 engine had an alpha drive. Two engines: bravo.
                              Newer single engine bravo 3 with duo prop.

The replacement prop we installed had a ring with two tabs between the hub and nut. In the nut itself was a rubber seal too.

We boated it to the shop this morning. It will be lifted out of the water tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X