Centering the steering wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centering the steering wheel

I changed the rack and pinion helm and cable. The steering wheel isn't properly aligned, but about 30 degrees off. The woodruff key (?) is in a slot, so the wheel can't be relocated on the shaft. What's the fix?
    I think I just have to unscrew the rack from the pinion, physically move the outdrive to center it, then replace the rack, making sure the wheel is properly centered. Right?
    (no power assist)
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Originally posted by wgander View Post
    I changed the rack and pinion helm and cable. The steering wheel isn't properly aligned, but about 30 degrees off. The woodruff key (?) is in a slot, so the wheel can't be relocated on the shaft. What's the fix?
    I think I just have to unscrew the rack from the pinion, physically move the outdrive to center it, then replace the rack, making sure the wheel is properly centered. Right?
    (no power assist)
    Yes..... you are on the right track.

Start with the stern drive aiming straight forward.
    Loosen or remove the four pinion gear housing fasteners.
    Move the pinion away from the rack gear.
    Turn the helm wheel to a new position that is closer to being centered.
    Tighten the four fasteners.

You should now be close to being centered..... but will likely need to make further adjustments at the area of the tiller arm.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

OK, thanks.
      Yep, hoping to avoid changing things at the outdrive - not much space to work. Hoping the rack and pinion is all I need to adjust.
      1998 Capri 1950CL
      3 Liter MerCruiser
      Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
      2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

Working...
      X