Installing 400 watt inverter just for TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 400 watt inverter just for TV

TV and Dish receiver combined draw 300 watts. Wiring direct to house bank I know is best, but difficult. My 12 volt panel and it's bus bars are right below the TV. Any problem with wiring the inverter to the bus bars?
    ​​​​​
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "Sea Ya"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Nothing fancy but i run my television and dvd player off the 400 watt inverter i installed into this box. At the same time i installed a 12v chargers and the inverter has usb chargers. I use those more than the inverter. Seems someone always has something plugged in there.

All that is run from a buss bar. I like it because i don't have to turn on the big inverter for little stuff. Make sure the wires to your buss bars are sufficiently large enough. I think the wires to my 400 watt inverter are 10 maybe 12 gauge. The wires to my buss bar are 6 gauge.
    Attached Files
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

Just fuse the inverter and you’re good to go

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Thanks guys, the inverter is fused. I tried the 400 watt, no go. I found a 750 watt, gonna try that. I was told older TVs don't like modified sine wave, that might be the problem. Buying a new TV is probably more cost-effective than buying a pure sine wave inverter, so that will be the next step.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "Sea Ya"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Chit just saw a 40" in the supermarket ... Shoprite for 100 American or a little over.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
            TV and Dish receiver combined draw 300 watts. Wiring direct to house bank I know is best, but difficult. My 12 volt panel and it's bus bars are right below the TV. Any problem with wiring the inverter to the bus bars?
            ​​​​​

While 300 watts is not much, I would be reluctant to place this load on the already burdened OEM hull harness..... unless of course, the OEM hull harness circuit is 6 ga like Dave suggested.
            [CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Rick, I think it's at least 6 ga.
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "Sea Ya"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

One other thing to consider would be the OEM hull harness connector that carries both the Negative and Positive current forward to the helm area.
                Even if this circuit is built around 6 ga wire, the connecting pins or contacts would be my concern.
                [CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Go for a pure sine wave inverter as these are clean power and will always run what ever you want to plug into them. I have a few 400 watt inverters on board. My TV inverter runs quite a few items one being the TV and satellite receiver and a sound bar, no issues whatsoever. The TV is right beside my DC power panel so I simply used a 6 gauge wire and added a 50a breaker, done deal. I have 2 power bars exiting the inverter which allows me to also plug in my DVD player, some usb plugs, universal remote control hub and a separate 110v outlet for various chargers and what not. Just an FYI, my TV is a 27" and only draws 35 watts, not sure what the receiver draws but maybe another 30 and the sound bar maybe anthem 30 so as you can see you really do not need a huge inverter for the entertainment system.
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

• Solandri
                    Solandri commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A pure sine wave inverter is generally only required if you're going to be powering an AC motor (e.g. a blender), or a high-efficiency power supply (AC to DC converter found in some desktop PCs).* The vast majority of electronics use an AC adapter (either a wall wart, brick, or built into the case) which simply "averages out" the AC waveform to convert it into DC power. So they don't care if it's a pure sine wave or stairstepped pseudo-sine wave.* The capacitors which do the AC-to-DC conversion just average out the bumps in the stairsteps, and the built-in voltage regulator keeps the output DC power within spec.

And I too have been curious what equipment exactly OP is running which needs 400 Watts. A modern 50" LED TV should only draw about 100 Watts, and that's with the backlight at maximum brightness. At typical brightness it should be down around 50-70 Watts. And a DishTV receiver should only be 20-30 Watts. The only thing I wasn't sure of is how many watts the stabilized satellite antenna uses, but I would think those are designed to run off of a boat or RV's DC power, not AC.

Most anything with a clock in it may not work. Had some experience with this on a coffee maker some time ago. Point is a pure sine wave will run anything so no matter what you decide to run in the future you are safe. I have used this one on my last boat and on this one. Got them on special for $116 CDN delivered from Amazon.ca. Not worth going to modified at that price IMHO. Some laptops tend to live shorter lives on modified and not entirely sure how his dish receiver will like it either. https://www.campingworld.com/nature-...ewave-inverter
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

The TV is a 10-12 yo Vizio 32" LED. The spec plate on the back says 110-240 volt, 2.0 amps, 50/60 hz. Not being an electrician, I'm not sure what that means​ in watts, bot I wasn't told 250. The Dish 211z receiver says 50 watts on the back, hence 300 watts total. I'm hooking up the 750 watt inverter shortly, so I'll know soon.

If I need a new TV, I think I'll get it at Walmart along with an inverter, and try them out in the automotive battery department...
                    Jeff & Tara
                    (And Ginger too)
                    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                    "Sea Ya"
                    Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Yea !
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Keep this in mind many of the new tvs are 12v.. they come with a little black box thingy on the cord. I have a LG smart 27" tv. The converter is 12v. You could cut it off and wire into the boat 12v system.

Also consider if you have streaming on your cell phone(smart) you can get a hdmi adapter and stream from your cell phone direct to the smart tv. Things like Netflix, prime, youtube are easy that way. I have unlimited data.

Come on jeff how much did you spend on a boat and you are going to cheap out on the tv. ? (A couple hundred$) analog tv is soooo 20th century.
                        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                        twin 454's
                        MV Mar-Y-Sol
                        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                        Twin chevy 350's inboard
                        Ben- Jamin
                        spokane Washington

Comment

Solandri wrote: "The vast majority of electronics use an AC adapter (either a wall wart, brick, or built into the case) which simply "averages out" the AC waveform to convert it into DC power. So they don't care if it's a pure sine wave or stairstepped pseudo-sine wave.* The capacitors which do the AC-to-DC conversion just average out the bumps in the stairsteps, and the built-in voltage regulator keeps the output DC power within spec"

Actually many power supplies (power brick, etc) do not like modified sine wave power. They overheat and fail prematurely.
                          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Not being an electrician, I'm not sure what that means​ in watts, bot I wasn't told 250.

Jeff, P= A x V. thus to compute the wattage for your TV:

P= 2.0A x 110V
                            P= 220
                            Jim Gandee
                            1989 3888
                            Hino 175's
                            Fire Escape
                            Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Working...
                            X