Still having Temperature Problems-gctid407401

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still having Temperature Problems-gctid407401

I have a 2000 merc 305 raw water cooled engine with an alpha one gen2 drive....began having temp issues. Here is that thread.....http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...-anything-else I thought I had culprit in the manifolds and risers but no luck. Today's test run turned out to be a failure. I have to be missing something. I had a few weird temp swings, the gauge would go from 200 to 125 and back to 200 in a a couple of seconds. If I opened her up real fast to about 4000 rpms the temp would rise to the over heating point but if I eased her up she seemed to run ok temp wise. A little history....last year new water pump and belt, this year new implellar, new thermostat, new manifolds and risers, and new flapper valves. I have the manual and I have been looking at the cooling diagram and from what I can see the system is very basic but something is escaping me. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Could it be the gauge? Temps don't fluxuate that quickly.

Comment

No I don't think so because I could smell her starting to overheating at one point. I pulled the wire off a few times and the gauge bottomed out. If there is a way to test the gauge I will give it a go if I find out how.

Comment

While I dont have the same engine or drive I have spent over a month tracking down the same problem on my boat. I replaced the thermostat the impeller the engine circulation pump. In the end the impeller was sucking air around the rubber gasket on the impeller housing. I would look there.

I removed the hose to the thermostat installed a clear piece of hose with a union and re-attached to the housing. This allowed me to see no water was coming from the drive. Next i connected a water hose from the dock to the clear line on the housing and tried again. I could visually see water and the temp stayed below 140. Worth a try
        David
        2880 Sunray
        St.Lawrence River
        http://baylinerownersclub.ca
        Facebook
        Twitter

Comment

Unfortunately my impellar is in the lower unit so I will have to pull the boat if that turns out to be the problem. I changed the impellar this spring but it was the first time I ever did it myself. I can help but wonder if I did something wrong when I changed it. Does anyone know if it is possible to to put the lower unit back on and somehow not connect the pick up tube? However this problem just started at the end of July and I have been using the boat several times a week since the begin of June with no problems. I checked the intake of the outdrive this afternoon and it it clear. I am going to recheck the belt tension on the water pump tomorrow but it felt ok today. From what I can tell from the manual the only 2 things at this point that could be a problem are the impellar and water pump. Maybe something went wrong there. I am stumped

Comment

Possibly the beginnings of a head gasket leak? Pull the spark plugs and look closely for signs of water as some may be getting into the cylinders as well. The gasket can blow and combustion gasses can be pushed (especially under higher rpm) into the cooling jacket and boil the coolant. The temp gauge fluctuates because the sender is in the steam not liquid. Sometimes a compression test won't show it. I would also do as the others suggest and double check all the basics as well along with all your previous work. How is the raw water flow from the drive? Possibly a split or kinked intake hose at the drive? Collapsing or restricted cooling hoses at the water pump?

Matt

Comment

Just pulled all the plugs I put in 3 days ago and all looks normal. Nothing at all indicates water getting past the head gasket. Pulled the Tstat and housing and all looks good in there. I removed all hoses up to the housing as well and nothing seems wrong there. Put it all back together and cranked her over let her warm up a few minutes and gunned her up to 4000 Rpms and she never went over 175 on the gauge. I am going to let her run a bit and get an Ir thermometer and see what I get. I know cranking her to 4000 Rpms at the dock is not a great moves but I don't think there is another way.

Comment

Looks like all is well again, what was wrong I still am not sure. I got the IR gauge and all the temps varied from 90 to around 165. I took the Tstat housing off and scraped some scale out but not all that much. I had stopped at the marine supply house on the way home for getting the IR gauge and told them what was going on. They said a lot of people were having temp problems because the bay is so warm. We thought that perhaps a 140 Tstat might be a better fit so I put that in since I had the housing off anyway. She ran great under all conditions. I think the temp spikes were caused by scale breaking loose and jamming the Tstat. That is the best thing I can come up with. Hope this helps anyone else that might have similar problems.

Comment

Glad to here you seem to be all set. Keep a close eye on the temp gauge. Frequently check the oil for signs of water. Head gaskets can do some strange things as far as how and when they leak. You are probably ok but you would want to catch something early rather than later. Happy Boating.

Matt

Comment

kwmeyer13 wrote:
                    Does anyone know if it is possible to to put the lower unit back on and somehow not connect the pick up tube?
                    The answer to this question is yes, been there, done that. however, if you had not gotten the hoses correctly connected when you reinstalled the lower portion of the outdrive, you'd have had over heating problems that wouldn't go away. Your note about temp swings would suggest to me that the hose is connected or you wouldn't be getting the cooling water into the engine.

Comment

kwmeyer13 wrote:
                      We thought that perhaps a 140 Tstat might be a better fit so I put that in since I had the housing off anyway. She ran great under all conditions. I think the temp spikes were caused by scale breaking loose and jamming the Tstat. That is the best thing I can come up with. Hope this helps anyone else that might have similar problems.
                      More than likely you had a bad t stat (even new ones can be bad) Scale would jam it open not closed. When my sons truck started over heating I went through 3 t stats till I found one that would work. I found real quick that the cheaper ones are just that. The local NAPA house had a bad stock of the cheaper ones. Once I bought one of the more expensive ones every thing was fine.
                      Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

kwmeyer13 wrote:
                        No I don't think so because I could smell her starting to overheating at one point. I pulled the wire off a few times and the gauge bottomed out. If there is a way to test the gauge I will give it a go if I find out how.
                        Also, doesnt hurt to get one of those lazer directional temp readers.... Will let you know what your block temp etc is without rigging and toying with wiring if it aint bad ;P

Comment

Working...
                        X