AC Power-gctid348994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Power-gctid348994

I am asking for advice on adding an inverter system to my 1993 2959 Classic. The boat did not come with a generator and I would like to add an inverter sytem, not just a stand alone single inverter. Does anyone have any experience with this task?
    Dave Stancil
    Bayliner #1 in slip
    1993 2859 Classic
    10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
    Bayliner #2 in garage
    2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Dave, you'll find that many of us use inverters and many of us use Charger/Inverters.

Xantrex offers a Freedom series Chrg/Inverter that interfaces with their LINK battery monitoring systems.

You'll also learn that in order to use an inverter efficiently, our HLBB's will need to be fairly large in terms of Amp Hour capacity.

Even with large capacity, we have limits as to how far down we can draw the HLBB, and limits as to how long we can go without re-charging.

Inverters are not necessarily very efficient when turning 12 vdc into 120 vac.

Since Engine Alternators are not ideally efficient at re-charging, and since you do not have a generator, you will be even more limited.

I would recommen that you calculate your daily anticipated Inverter loads on the House Bank, and in Amp Hours, and decide from there which inverter suits your needs, and then size of you HLBB accordingly.

But do not leave out a means of re-charing.... or you may end up replacing batteries more often than need be.

Harv has a thread in the BOC Library that would be good for you to read.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

There are a dozen multi-page discussions on this topic just from the past year. Do a search, be prepared to read a lot, and then if you still have questions, ask them in one of those threads or here.

Comment

Oh, and I have both an inverter and a generator. One doesn't necessarily make the other not necessary.

Comment

Dave

What do you want to run from the inverter?
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I purchased my inverter from Harbor Freight, 1500 watt continous, 3000 surge, used it for my 7 cf freezer, has worked for 3 years now, no issues, they have one larger unit, resonably priced, $129.00-$169.00.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
            X