Question...-gctid407136

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question...-gctid407136

Just bought an '03 trophy 2052 wa. I got it home and the batteries are now dead. Does anyone recommend a particular make/group # for replacement on this vessel?

The Walmart marine batteries are the best value on the market. I believe the size is Group 31, or maybe a 29. They are inexpensive, reliable, and they can be replaced easily if there's a problem.

Comment

Much appreciated

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
        The Walmart marine batteries are the best value on the market. I believe the size is Group 31, or maybe a 29. They are inexpensive, reliable, and they can be replaced easily if there's a problem.
        +1

I just bought a pair of the group 31 marine batteries from walmart. Here in Canada it was $99 each. My old Edmonds house batteries were toast after only 3 years. I was going to go with a group 31 gel cell Trojan battery but I just couldn't justify the price. 299US is the cheapest I found. That means I can buy 3 walmart batteries for the cost of one.

As for reliability I don't know how they will hold up but even if they last 3-5 years I will be happy for that price.

Comment

Also depends on how you plan to use them and for how long you plan on owning that boat.

Depending on your answers, you might want to look at some of the higher end, batteries (gel, AGM, etc).
          Simo
          2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
          Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

Thx simo. Plan on keeping her forever so yes, i am exploring gel etc...

Comment

I have Optima batteries now. Sure they last forever, they just have half the power density of the regular batteries. Never again.

Comment

Go with Walmart,under normal use 3-5 years can be expected. They stand behind their product!

Comment

swampnut wrote:
                  i have optima batteries now. Sure they last forever, they just have half the power density of the regular batteries. Never again.
                  regular as in lead?

Comment

The link at the end is an article I wrote to answer battery questions. I have been boating 42 years, am a licensed master and a retired electronic engineer.

The answer to your question has too many varibles in it. Like: do you overnight? Do you have a refrigerator, etc. Read it.

As far as one type being better, they each have a usage that they are better at. Also, they each have different charging voltages. This may be an issue because boat engines are set up to operate with flooded electrolyte batteries, as they are the most common.

Read: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...s-and-Charging
                    Captharv 2001 2452
                    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

I also have used only Wally-batteries in all my cars, trucks, boats and lawn tractor for the last 10 years. Only had one fail prematurely, 1 cell died within the first 3 weeks of service.
                      " WET EVER "
                      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                      mmsi 338108404
                      mmsi 338124956
                      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Also consider Costco batteries. Do a web search for Costco marine / deep cycle batteries. You'll find it a very popular choice. Same price as Walmart ... I believe Costco batts are made by interstate.

Comment

captharv wrote:
                          the link at the end is an article i wrote to answer battery questions. I have been boating 42 years, am a licensed master and a retired electronic engineer.

The answer to your question has too many varibles in it. Like: Do you overnight? Do you have a refrigerator, etc. Read it.

As far as one type being better, they each have a usage that they are better at. Also, they each have different charging voltages. This may be an issue because boat engines are set up to operate with flooded electrolyte batteries, as they are the most common.

Read: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...s-and-charging
                          impressive article...

Comment

regular as in lead?
                            Regular as in flooded cell instead of AGM, gel, and spiral AGM. They are all lead-based.

Comment

I have a Car Quest Grp 27 Marine battery (used as starting battery) that was already used when I bought my boat in 2006. I am amazed that it is still going strong. It is maintained 24/7 by a 2 bank charger. I check the water 2-3 times a year however I failed to check the water last fall. This spring, the Car Quest battery was still fine but the 2 6V (5 year old) Costco house batteries were dry below the plates. Suprislingly, they came back to life after being refilled and equalized but I replaced them anyway. I was tempted to buy another starting battery just because of age but now I want to see how long this thing will last. I checked on the price of a new one and it was $99 US. When it dies, I will try another Car Quest battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X