Exhaust manifolds-gctid407020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust manifolds-gctid407020

Hello again all:Next item of "oh crap what's next". In this chapter of my 2550 Saratoga I could use a bit of advice on exhaust manifolds. I have the old OSCO 818's off the engine. To me they don't look so hot, but the risers look pretty good. Question is do I replace these...see pics or just buy new manifols, risers and hardware. Seems to be quite a few out there. Anyone have any advice on which brands are good? I've seen whole kits for about $420-$599 depending on brands. One thing I don't want is China made. Please let me know what you think...and I hope it can help someone else down the road.Ted

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/710772=30476-wiring and exhaust 009.JPG[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/710772=30477-wiring and exhaust 006.JPG[/img]

Can't tell from the pics. Need a pic of where the risers attach to the manifolds.

Aside from not supporting the north American economy, I don't see a problem with buying Chinese made manifolds.

Rule #1: if you have to question it, replace it.

Comment

tedfest wrote:
      Hello again all:Next item of "oh crap what's next". In this chapter of my 2550 Saratoga I could use a bit of advice on exhaust manifolds. I have the old OSCO 818's off the engine. To me they don't look so hot, but the risers look pretty good. Question is do I replace these...see pics or just buy new manifols, risers and hardware. Seems to be quite a few out there. Anyone have any advice on which brands are good? I've seen whole kits for about $420-$599 depending on brands. One thing I don't want is China made. Please let me know what you think...and I hope it can help someone else down the road.Ted

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]
      For me it is not a hard decision....REPLACE. They are too important to mess with and besides, you already have them removed so half the labor is done. You should get 5 years from a new set if in salt water. NO Chineese for this man on such an important part. Read posts about GLM products here. NOT pretty!
      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
      Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
      1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
      454 Merc Cruisers inboards
      "HOLODECK"
      2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

I agree with Tony.

First.... post a photo of your existing exhaust Y-pipe since you have not mentioned engine model number.

You may have the old 3" Y-pipe, or you may have the 95mm Y-pipe.

This will determine which p/n's you'll need.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thank you Tony and Rick:

I did some research last night and have decided to go with the new OSCO's that are the same part# as I have. The Y pipe looks real good and so do the hoses and risers. They cost a little more than some of the others but I k now what I'll be getting plus my risers are 6 bolt and about the only thing that fits them are the OSCO's I had on it. I think I'll also order all new bolts and gaskets are a givien.

Rick, Tony, does that sound like a good plan to you guys? I'll also take the risers in when I have the intake tanked and cleaned up and maybe have them do them too. There is a machine shop here that all the marine guys go to that does some kind of coating to "tanked" parts that's supposed to help with corrosion and make them last a bit longer.

As usual thanks a lot...this forum is quickly getting to be one of my favorite places to learn things.

Ted

Comment

Shop around by putting the keywords Osco and your part number in Google. I found as much as $100 difference in prices on my Osco manifold.

Comment

First.... post a photo of your existing exhaust Y-pipe since you have not mentioned engine model number. If these mans/tisers are not correct to begin with, there's no sense in duplicating an error.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick, will do when I get back in the engine compartment and get the engine out...hopefully this coming week. Meanwhile the heads are going to the machine shope and so is the intake. More to follow. Just kind of slow due to 1-age, 2-aches and pains and 3-it's hot. By the way, the engine was built in 1978, boat is a 79. No tag or ID to tell me which engine it is. However the numbers on the front left flange indicate a Mercruiser 350 block from 1978 and that is supported by the casting numbers. After some digging it looks like it could be an AQ255a or b. Quadrajet intake and big 4 barrel were only on the 255. I also read in several places that in the 70's and early 80's GM made blocks for Mercruiser and sent the same blocks to Volvo. I can't find anywhere the engine codes for specific Volvo made 350's around that time frame.

Ted

Comment

They are all Chevy small blocks. Volvo didn't make a V8. The blocks are all the same. The Qjet also came on the AQ225 (Chevy 305ci V8).

Comment

Dan, I believe that we lost Ted. He's not been back as to confirm his existing Y-pipe configuration or OD.

Also, there may be a bit of misunderstanding the relationship between GM -vs- Merc and Volvo Penta.

Ted, if you are out there, this may help you.
                    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

i figured, but i just couldn't leave that hanging

Comment

Working...
                      X