Volvo Penta Stern Drive Problems-gctid406963

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo Penta Stern Drive Problems-gctid406963

I have a 83 Bayliner Contessa with a volvo penta stern drive. Recently while pulling up on my mooring I shifted into reverse and heard a crunch. Upon pulling my boat out of the water I found that I had a broken suspension fork on the stern drive. Any idea what could have caused this? i was not at high RPM's when I shifted gears. I might note that prior to this I had just installed a new shift cable on my flybridge which means I had shift controls in the cabin and on the flybridge. I'm wondering if that could have been the cause, both cables working off the same shift gear at the stern drive. Too coencidental to ignore.

Kevin wrote:
    I have a 83 Bayliner Contessa with a volvo penta stern drive. Recently while pulling up on my mooring I shifted into reverse and heard a crunch. Upon pulling my boat out of the water I found that I had a broken suspension fork on the stern drive. Any idea what could have caused this? i was not at high RPM's when I shifted gears. I might note that prior to this I had just installed a new shift cable on my flybridge which means I had shift controls in the cabin and on the flybridge. I'm wondering if that could have been the cause, both cables working off the same shift gear at the stern drive. Too coencidental to ignore.
    Most likely it is a faulty reverse latch. It may be worn or just not have the proper spring tension. Very finicky these are!
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

after reading through the other posts I think you could be right, any suggestions to prevent it happening again? I guess this would be a good time to replace seals & bellows as well.

Comment

Working...
      X