Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorola Alternator-gctid348911

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Motorola Alternator-gctid348911

    It's been a long time since I posted...

    I own a 1986 Bayliner Explorer with the 130hp Chrysler Diesels.

    It has Motorola Alternators with built in regulators.

    I would like to know if there is a replacement Alternator or does anyone know where I can purchase a rebuilt/new Motorola.

    Without going into too much detail, me babbeling on, if anyone can point me in the rite direction, or if there are other details that I might offer let me know.

    Thanks for any suggestions

    Gary, aka, Grampy1111

    #2
    When shopping for alternators, you need to look at how the alternator is attached to the motor. Many GM engines have a standard alternator mount. Chrysler should be the same. Take your measurements off the old alternator, then compare it with those in the manuals: http://www.proboatparts.com/Sierra-1...tor-p6506.html

    The only time you see truly unique alternators, is when the engine originated from Europe. Some of the French alternators are quite rare. In this case, I would have a shop try to rebuild it.

    Comment


      #3
      I forgot who bought up the rites for them, but they are very rebildable. Moreover, if you have a 55 amp, and want an 85 amp, simply swap out the statorwith an 85 amp and you have a more powerful alternator.

      Had one on my 86 chaparral. I had that boat for 14 years and 1000 hours without having the alternator fail.
      Captharv 2001 2452
      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

      Comment


        #4
        grampy1111 wrote:
        It's been a long time since I posted...

        I own a 1986 Bayliner Explorer with the 130hp Chrysler Diesels.

        It has Motorola Alternators with built in regulators.

        I would like to know if there is a replacement Alternator or does anyone know where I can purchase a rebuilt/new Motorola.

        Without going into too much detail, me babbeling on, if anyone can point me in the rite direction, or if there are other details that I might offer let me know.

        Thanks for any suggestions

        Gary, aka, Grampy1111
        You've got a few options. Besides rebuilding the existing alternators, you could replace them with like, or you could replace them with high output, externally regulated alternators. Electromaax and Balmar are just 2 of several companies that can ship you a full conversion package. 100A and up is possible. [COLOR]#810081 wrote:
        http://www.electromaax.com/[/COLOR]
        http://www.balmar.net/

        Comment


          #5
          Hi All

          It was late when I posted last night so I didn't fill in all the details.

          First off thanks for the input from everyone.

          The fact is, My wife and I are retiring this summer and plan to cast off the lines for our, Americas Great Loop adventure....most will know what the AGLCA is all about. 17 June is the date carved in Jello.

          So as far as the alternators are concerned I have two great working alternators on the boat now. My plan is to have a spare.

          I contacted two local marine supply companies and they quoted me purchase prices of hundreds of dollars...most notably was West Marine who quoted $650.00ish.

          One of the guys from my YC suggested I go to a little out of the way electrical shop...so I did. $180.00 - $200.00 Full on Marine Specs.

          I simply removed the alternator, took it to them, they ran it up/bench tested it and told me to come back in a couple of days.

          They are building me an Alternator from scratch.

          Pretty Cool.

          By the way, We are from Canada, and live at the mouth of the Trent Severn Waterway. We will be eventually working our way down through the waterways South of Chicago, to the Gulf, then over to Florida, then to the Bahamas.

          We love our 3870, and I love this site.

          I hope to see you on the Water.

          Gary

          Time&Tide

          Comment


            #6
            As of now I do not know how to delete this post

            The questions about the alternator have been answered

            Mr Moderator if you are able...and find it necessary please delete this post.

            Thank you.

            Gary.

            Comment


              #7
              Go log in then edit and erase your posts.

              I do not know what the fall-out would be.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

              Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

              Comment


                #8
                "grampy1111" post=796756 wrote:
                As of now I do not know how to delete this post

                The questions about the alternator have been answered

                Mr Moderator if you are able...and find it necessary please delete this post.

                Thank you.

                Gary.
                Gary, we like to leave informative posts intact, the material may well be helpful to others in the future.
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

                2000 Bayliner 3388
                "GetAway"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

                In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

                Comment


                  #9
                  "Jeffw" post=796869 wrote:
                  "grampy1111" post=796756 wrote:
                  As of now I do not know how to delete this post

                  The questions about the alternator have been answered

                  Mr Moderator if you are able...and find it necessary please delete this post.

                  Thank you.

                  Gary.
                  Gary, we like to leave informative posts intact, the material may well be helpful to others in the future.
                  In spite of my response, I do a lot of searching for certain answers.

                  Pat
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

                  Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X