1999 Bayliner 2452 5.7 engine is getting louder when starting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 Bayliner 2452 5.7 engine is getting louder when starting

I use the Perko flush attachment to try and keep engine as rust free as possible in a brackish water environment with my new exhaust manifolds and risers, but I screwed up! I kept the hose water on while turning engine off. Should have been water off first , then engine. So the next time I start it, it won't and just grinds and grinds with engine attempting to turn with no luck. Hydrolocked? Don't know how water could get it to not start. Maybe water pump locked up?

Removed plugs, sprayed WD-40 in cylinders and now cranking. Didn't see anything spraying from cylinders. Engine always seems to start loudly before and even seems louder now. Is it my starter going bad? Have new plugs ordered, didn't really need them, but rather install new vs. old just for the trouble of replacing. Is this normal to start loudly when starting? Runs fine once started and not near as loud.

Looks like a real pain to replace, and only want to do it once. Am calling SEA Mfg tomorrow for replacement if needed. Any thoughts will greatly be appreciated, this is a wonderful forum and has been very helpful! Thanks-Jim
    1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
    1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore 2000 Johnson 130
    1996 Parker Pilothouse 2452 2016 Mercury Verado 150
    12' Jon Boat 3.5 Suzuki

It will always be louder when first started as the water is not yet flowing through the exhaust system. Once the water is fully circulating the noise will quite down. if you start it in the water you will not hear much extra noise as the water is a baffle.
    Leaving the water hose attached for a brief period of time shouldn't be a problem. I always turn off the engine first and then the water. Is your battery fully charged? Maybe do a compression test while you've got the plugs out to see if there's an internal problem.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

The noise level is normal and you should always shut the engine off before turning the hose off else the impeller will run dry and this can melt it. This is no different then shutting the engine off with the boat in the water. The starting issue is unrelated.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

What Mike said
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Did seem strange to think turning the water off after the engine would have any issues. Just trying to figure out why. Guess a compression test is in order. And nice to know it's normal for the louder sound starting the engine at first. Thanks again-Jim
          1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
          12' Jon Boat 3.5 Suzuki

Comment

Maybe the exhaust bellow came loose? That'd make it sound louder than it used to
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I'll have to check bellows, thanks for the reply...
              1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
              12' Jon Boat 3.5 Suzuki

Comment

Working...
              X