Thunderbolt Ignition trouble shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbolt Ignition trouble shooting

Engine won't start, very weak and no spark at times, 4.3 gen+, I think it's the sensor, module or coil. I once downloaded a trouble shooting guide to figuring this out, do you think I can find it? If anyone has a link I would apreciate it.
    Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
    Maple Bay, BC.

Here is what I used to find the issues I had with ignition sensor under Distributor cap . Think it is also in the Mercruiser shop manual

https://www.boatdesign.net/attachmen...24-pdf.134493/
    2004 Trophy 2359
    5.7 liter Carb
    Alpha
    15 hp Merc Kicker

Comment

Thanks ardoski14 for that it has that info-graphic that I once had, I will file the pdf in the proper place this time.
      Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
      Maple Bay, BC.

Comment

there are 3 wires going to the distributor sensor. there's a 12V hot; the "signal" wire and a ground. Separate the sensor wire from the distributor, and scrape it along a ground. I think its the green white wire. If it sparks, replace the sender. If not then its the coil or the module. In order of cost: the module is costly, next the sensor at about 125 (last time I bought one) an the coil is cheapest.
        A word of warning: The module and coil are designed to work with each other, with turns ratio, resistance, etc. An aftermarket "auto" coil will not work. I even tried a NASCAR grade coil. Spend the $85 and get the right one. I am 71 yrs old, and 1 thing I learned from life: anytime you try to cut corners and substitute, it will cost you more in the long run, because it will come to bite you in the ass.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
        X