crack in lower housing-gctid405781

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crack in lower housing-gctid405781

I went out for a cruise Saturday and on the way back in I noticed my outdrive was making a lot of noise. When I put the boat on a trailer, I noticed the crack in the 25 year old aluminum lower housing. I don't think I hit anything and didn't have any launch ramp incidents. This is an Alpha One Gen 1, on a 310 HP engine. Gee, I think this will be a nice winter project. Any ideas on why this happened or how best to deal with it?

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/709525=30227-outdrive_crack_aug12_ 006med.jpg[/img]

Looks like the drive may have 'hit' something. I think after 25 years it has lived its lifetime.

Either way...B.O.A.T. and enjoy.

Vic

Ft Myers
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Comment

I have a friend with a Stingray with a 454 and alpha 1, aparently Mercruiser built this package for like 2 years. Most are dead and gone from too much power and not enough drive. If you got 25 years from the first drive look at SEI replacement drives or find a donor boat and put a bravo drive on it.

Comment

yup you hit something, check with your insurance company it may be covered.

Comment

Wingman wrote:
          ... first drive look at SEI replacement drives or find a donor boat and put a bravo drive on it.
          Yes, a complete outdrive replacement - both upper and lower - is reasonably priced. That would head off the upper casing breaking as well - its already got a few holes corroded through it.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img] .

Comment

Wow, it must have hit something. There is a lot of crap out in the bay. Earlier this season I bounched off what looked like a telephone pole. I see major logs all the time. One of those drive replacements would be nice. Like starting fresh.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              yup you hit something, check with your insurance company it may be covered.
              +1
              Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

I was of the opinion that the Alpha was only good for 300 hp maximum, and that would be pushing it. I'd befinitely be looking to upgrade to the Bravo 2 or 3.
                Bob Hawes.
                Kelowna, B.C.
                1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

bhawes wrote:
                  I was of the opinion that the Alpha was only good for 300 hp maximum, and that would be pushing it. I'd befinitely be looking to upgrade to the Bravo 2 or 3.
                  thats quiet the undertaking for no reason. the alpha can handle a 7.4 easily.

To install a bravo we are talking, removing engine, drive, transom plate, cutting transom bigger, all new parts. many thousands of dollars in labor and parts and you still dont have an engine big enough to justify it. If you want that theres another 7-8k for a 300+hp engine easy. Not worth it for a simple lower replacement.

wild you dont need to replace the whole drive either, just the lower part they are really not that spendy.

Comment

The pushing out of the casing around the crack would lead me to believe something came apart inside the drive, but the pic isn't that good either. I've heard there is alot of crap out in the pacific from the tsunami so heads up.

Comment

rkcarguy wrote:
                      The pushing out of the casing around the crack would lead me to believe something came apart inside the drive....
                      That was my impression as well. I think I would have known if I hit something, and the prop is untouched.

After I got the boat, I took it out once then checked the outdrive oil and it was milky. A bearing could have gone, or the bearing case cracked (I think).

The question I have is, should I just replace the lower unit? That would only be 1/2 the expense of the whole drive.

rkcarguy wrote:
                      ...the pic isn't that good either...
                      I was pretty happy with my photo

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                        ...To install a bravo we are talking, removing engine, drive, transom plate, cutting transom bigger...
                        I was wondering what was involved to go to a Bravo. However, since the original Alpha handled the engine for 25 years, I figure its good. I'm not heavy on the throttle.

Comment

wildman wrote:
                          I was wondering what was involved to go to a Bravo. However, since the original Alpha handled the engine for 25 years, I figure its good. I'm not heavy on the throttle.
                          If you are happy with the rest of your rig, then you are the poster child for replacing your lower unit with a SEI unit!

If this were mine...I would be selling the 'bride' on doing a complete SEI outdrive upgrade, since you would be getting a 3 year 'No Fault' warranty that even covers impact damage. (If this warranty is not as I remember it to be, everyone here feel free to take me to the woodshed.) The prospect of 3 years of guaranteed zero expense for any problems should be a selling point....

Even the replacement of just the lower unit by itself would still have that warranty.

Happy boating!
                          Boating Supplies

Comment

That's gnarly looking.

Comment

update.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/768081=36263-se_lower.JPG[/img] (see pic). Sterndrive Engineering SE106 outdrive lower unit. Replaces the Mercruiser alpha one generation one. Ratio: 1:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X