Trim tabs leaking-gctid405640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim tabs leaking-gctid405640

noticed trouble leveling boat and had wife hit tabs while at the beach for test. Fluid spurting out of BOTH lines just above where they attach to tabs . lines are worn through from a buff job i had done few years ago and they finally failed . Im going to replace lines . My question is , are these tabs on same system that trims up my motor? and can i buy the hydaulic fluid at an autozone ? or do i need a special marine type ?

The systems are separate. Fluid is ATF.

Comment

Sounds like you have a Boat Leveler system. Here is the layout and you can see where to add the fluid and the "fill to line". Boat Leveler sometimes uses a "biodegradable" fluid, but most Bayliners that came from the factory used ATF in the system which is just fine.

Tom

Bennett Marine
      sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

wow thanks for the quik responses guys and great pic ! Tabman i see in the drawing there seems to be extra line for the tabs, i cant remember if i have extra spooled up like that inside . i dont think i do . is that the norm ? maybe i can just cut and reattach? thanks again you guys .

Comment

There is no extra spooled line. This shows the way the kit comes. Then the installer can cut the line to size. You are good.

I suggest replacing the pressure fittings on the tabs themselves with a stainless hose clamp. But other than that the system works great.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem but was going to address it at haul-out in the fall, is there any issues with leaving it for the time being, ie water entering the system?

Comment

love2speed wrote:
              I'm having the exact same problem but was going to address it at haul-out in the fall, is there any issues with leaving it for the time being, ie water entering the system?
              I think it can suck water in if leak is below water line. I'm sure Tab Man will let you know shortly.

Comment

love2speed wrote:
                As long as you don't run the Trim Tabs in the bow up position, i.e. retract them, you should be OK. When you run the Tabs up they could suck in water. You might want to take a look at the fluid in the reservoir to make sure it is not milky just to be sure. Using a pipe cleaner stuck do0wn the filler cap is an easy way to check this.

As a side note, if you have Boat Leveler Trim Tabs with the external hoses it's a good idea to check them each year when the boat is out of the water and probably replace them if they look at all suspect.

Tom

Bennett Marine
                sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

If I were you, I would do what I did, (the second time). Send the rams off to boatleveler, and have them replace the hoses with factory hose. The new system they use doesn't use automtive style clamps. It is a much more permanent fix. After struggling with broken hoses, and failing clamps I emailed boatleveler. The told me to send in the rams, and a week later, I've never worried about my hoses again.

Comment

Hi BreakAwayII, what did they charge you for this work?

Comment

I don't recall exactly, but it was by far the cheapest repair I've done on the boat. They actually only charged me for shipping if I recall around $15-17. And after receiving my rams he said they looked like they had been stored in a lake for the past 15 years(which they had) and sent out brand new rams. But it would have been worth the $$$ to pay for their hoses. Their price is currently 3.60 a foot, and I'm willing to guess if you bought the hose they would fuse onto the rams for very cheap, if not free. Well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X