Upper Helm Electrics wet?-gctid405413

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Helm Electrics wet?-gctid405413

We had some huge rain here yesterday. We were nearby on the highway and I had the wipers full speed and I was down to 60 KPH (40 mph) for many miles. I've never seen rainfall so hard; and it was followed up by several tornados and some hail.

Today I tried to start the boat from the upper helm. The port engine started. When I tried the starboard engine it not only wouldn't crank but it shut the whole boat down, including the port engine. The helm guages were very erratic. My bimini top is up but none of the plastic windows are installed.

Then I went below and started both engines easily from the inside lower helm. All the guages worked fine.

I think my upper station has waterlogged switches and guages? The sun is supposed to be back tomorrow so we'll see.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

FYI...We had a gorgeous, warm, sunny day today and late this afternoon I tried my upper helm controls. Everything worked fine! Both engines started immediately and ran perfectly. All the guages and switches also worked well.

Comment

I have a cover for my bridge, works with the Bimini up or down. Only takes 2-3 minutes to deploy, and probably wouldn't cost more than $200. I can snap a pic and post if you like...
      Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ
      |
      Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
      2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
      2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
      2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
      2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
      And 12 others...
      In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. I have a similar cover. We just happened to be away from the boat for a couple of hours when this rain arrived and I didn't bother with the cover before I left. My cover encloses the entire fly bridge, with or without the bimini. I think a cover that just covers the guages and switches would get more use. If that is what you have, please send me a picture. Thanks, Bud!

Comment

No mine is the full bridge cover, but since I installed a new helm seat, it doesn't fit right. I had a small cover for dash and throttles on the 305, I really liked it, easy on/off. I think I'll have one made for this boat soon...
          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ
          |
          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
          And 12 others...
          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I have had custom covers made for all the boats helms and has saved me from unexpected storms many times.

Comment

Working...
            X